Reckless

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

REO

Reaction score
Reckless

This horse was a pack horse during the Korean war, and she carried recoilless rifles, ammunition and supplies to Marines. Nothing too unusual about that, lots of animals got pressed into doing pack chores in many wars.

But this horse did something more….during the battle for a location called Outpost Vegas, this mare made 50 trips up and down the hill, on the way up she carried ammunition, and on the way down she carried wounded soldiers…

What was so amazing? Well she made every one of those trips without anyone leading her.

I can imagine a horse carrying a wounded soldier, being smacked on the rump at the top of the hill, and heading back to the “safety” of the rear. But to imagine the same horse, loaded with ammunition, and trudging back to the battle where artillery is going off, without anyone leading her is unbelievable. To know that she would make 50 of those trips is unheard of. heck, how many horses would even make it back to the barn once, let alone return to you in the field one single time.

So here is a clip of her story and photos to prove where she was and what she did….

She was retired at the Marine Corps Base in Camp Pendleton where a General issued the following order…she was never to carry any more weight on her back except her own blankets. She died in 1968 at the age of 20.

P.S. How bad was the battle for Outpost Vegas…. Artillery rounds fell at the rate of 500 per hour, and only two men made it out alive without wounds. Just two. And a horse . . . and she was wounded twice.

What a great story.......and an amazing mare to say the least! Thanks Robin for posting this.

I have dial up, so couldn't watch the vedio, but the story was great, Thanks. Also there is a Steven Speilburg movie being released on Christmas day titled WAr Horse, It looks like a tear jerker for sure.

this is amazing! Brought a tear to my eye. What an incredible horse! - I've also seen the preview for the movie "War horse" looks really good.
default_yes.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
What an incredible story and such an amazing soul she must have been.

I have to watch it later and Im sure its going to make me cry.

Thanks for posting that REO- I had put it on my FB for Veterans Day. She didnt appear to be a very big horse, but must have had a heart bigger than all the world.

What a fantastic story. It is hard to imagine why animals are so loyal to humans that they would risk their own lives to help us.

What a remarkable horse and remarkable story. I agree with the narrator, "This story deserves to be told."

Thanks Robin for sharing it.

My mom had sent it to me. My first thought was to share it with all of you
default_wub.png

WE ALL KNOW!!!!

But anyone who thinks that horses don't think or FEEL, is so WRONG!
default_yes.gif

Thank you for sharing! What an awesome story!

Latest posts

Back