Recipes for dishes with herbs

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm hosting garden club in June and my program is on herbs. I am a utilitarian cook--I cook to keep body and soul together. It isn't my Thing, it is my duty. So, anyone have super easy recipes for appetizers, sandwiches, or desserts that feature an herb? No exotic ingredients, please! I live in a rural town and our grocery stores don't stock exotic items. And because I am the hostess and, as president of the club, must conduct the meeting, it has to be something I can make ahead, or at least do a simple step at the last minute.

I have cilantro, oregano, sage, lavender, lemon verbena, thyme, basil and chives to use.

(You'd think I love to cook since I have all these herbs, but I use them in my crafts.)

Help, please!

How about doing some Mini Quiches and featuring your herbs in each one ?

Chicken and Thyme

Basil, Fetta cheese and roasted Bell peppers

Asian style one - Cilantro, Ginger, garlic, shredded carrot, shredded bell pepper.

There are a million ways to make these, some I think you can actually make in a standard coffee cup and in the microwave by placing small bit of bread at the bottom of the cup and then the ingredients go on top. I am sure there is definitely a recipe on the internet somewhere.

For finger sandwiches you could cook a chicken breast with some of your home grown herbs and could use that in some fresh sandwiches with cucumber, tomatoes ect.

the only thing I can think of for a dessert (and im not that successful with desserts
default_smile.png
) is lavender cup cakes. I went to my first "High Tea " recently whilst on holidays and they had these tiny little lavender and vanilla cupcakes.

Ill keep on thinking and if I can think of anything else ill add on
default_smile.png

Grab some photos Id love to see how it all turns out
default_smile.png

Last edited by a moderator:
We had a great meeting! I made a cake using my lemon verbena. Cut up watermelon and tossed it with feta and mint. Someone brought herbed scones and we had two different herb dips. Everyone left the meeting excited to grow more herbs!

Marsha, glad your get-together went well and so sorry I am just now seeing your topic (life is too busy lately for much computer time). Hope this thread will thrive like a well tended garden as I for one love love love herbs and their many intended uses.

Here is a quick appetizer:

Herb Toastettes

Mix together 1/2 c softened margarine, 2 T sesame seeds, 3/4 t. each fresh chopped basil, rosemary, & chives, 1/4 t. dried marjoram. Slice a loaf or baguette of your choice of bread that you can pick up in the bakery section of most grocery stores. Spread the bread slices with the mixture and bake for about 7 minutes on cookie sheet at 350 degrees.

I hope this thread continues too, nothing better than cooking with fresh herbs from the garden.
default_smile.png

Cooked a roast chicken the other day and made a Sage and thyme stuffing to go inside. Was really nice and the flavours seemed to make their way through the chicken.

Cant wait for the better weather to come along , very eager to get back out in the vegie garden again
default_smile.png

Love fresh dill! Here is Creamy Dill Salad Dressing:

1 c buttermilk

3 T mayo

4 T chopped fresh dill

3 T chopped fresh chives

1 T chopped fresh parsley

1 T lemon juice

1 tsp Dijon mustard

salt & pepper to taste

Put everything in blender and blend until smooth. Refrigerate at least an hour. Serve over fresh garden salad or even just sliced cucumber.

Latest posts

Back