Recent talk of amateur status...

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

js1arab

Reaction score
Am I the only one who would like to see an in between class? I know there are so many divisions already, I don't know where we'd begin, but I would love to have a place to "fit in". I love to help my friends with big horses. I can not charge though unless I ask them to provide food for their own horse etc. because I still feel amateurish in my showing and I'd like to stay ammy for a bit longer. I feel perfectly comfortable working with a horse, but in minis/ponies especially, if someone takes the time and money for a trainer it is for the purpose of showing. Therefore, you can't work horses for income and just show for fun or experience. At least big horses, people sometimes just want ground training and manners worked on and would pay for that without needing them shown. But doing that for income...you lose your ammy status. I would love to be able to train a bit for extra spending cash and have it come from something I love doing. But just because I feel comfortable with the horse, does not mean I'm a good showman. I am very self consious and even though I love showing, I get out there and second guess everything I do. I always tell others to relax and have fun and I really try, but I can't help but wonder if I am doing the best job I can for the horse's sake. I see a lot of super nice looking horses and I know there are way more tricks of the trade I need to learn before I am ready to show pro. It would be great to see a division for those who are wanting to do a small amount of training, but need to get eased into things. It could be based on the number of wins at a certain level of showing. Like maybe...once you win x amount of rated classes, you have to bump up to the pro division. I know there would be a ton of things to consider that I know I'm not thinking of, but it would sure make a nice place for us "somewhere inbetweeners"
biggrin.gif
OK, I know it will never happen but it makes me feel good to at least wish for it
wink.gif

I understand what you are getting at completely.......I was a groom and also worked horses so lost my ammy status but I didn't care at all I did what I enjoyed and got paid...I also was an assistant trainer and then a riding instructor and farm manager...now in mini's I mostly did farm sitting and midwife duties....and currently I qualify for ammy...BUT in all honesty I don't feel like an ammy at anything BUT the show ring
wink.gif
some of the people I worked for used to worry greatly about my ammy status......I used to remind them I DONT SHOW but they were worried that I might want to well I guess I just have to show against the trainers and the real pro's no skin off my nose
wink.gif

too bad we don't rate classes......novice, intermediate, advanced.....where it is your wins/ringtime that determine your level........they do that in 4h and my son blew through novice (he had his 4 blue ribbons in a hurry) but he was just darn good and really belonged in the intermediate (youth also) category where the competition was more at his level and he had to work for those wins
wink.gif

Well, I am happy that there will be at least one other person who feels a bit like me
biggrin.gif
aktion033.gif
If all I wanted to do was mess with my friends big guys then I could just show against the pros and who cares how I do, but if I ever wanted to work with minis at all, I'd be showing a clients horse as that is why most mini people want a trainer is for showing (although I've seen several owners who could use a trainer to teach their horses some basic manners !!!!) Plus, even though I'm self conscious, for some crazy reason I actually like showmanship. I just think it's cool to do the patterns and try to look good doing it, I have a lot more to learn, but you don't see showmanship offered to anything but youth and ammy at most shows. So if I lost my status I'd have to give up one of the classes I like most
sad.gif
Well, gonna have to cut this reply short as it is thundering and lightening and I'm liable to get blown off of here if I don't
saludando.gif
)

Hi Jackie,

In regards to your question regarding showmanship.....Do you show Shetlands?

If so, there is an "Open" showmanship class for the Classic Shetland along with the Youth and Amateur. The AMHR side doesn't have an "Open" showmanship class and a proposal would need to be made for next year's convention (submitted by July 1, 2006) to the AMHR committee that you would like to have an "Open" showmanship class as either a required class or an optional class. I think there is enough mini people out there to support this particular proposal.

Karen

Karen, thanks for your post and sorry I took so long to reply. I was out of the house all day. Actually I show miniatures. I like the Shetlands, but I own and show the minis. If I felt there were other members to support the idea I would take time to write a request, but I have a hard enough time getting people to respond to my thoughts on here, let alone have the whole board of directors laughing at me over what they might consider a stupid proposal. Thank you though for taking the time to answer my post. I appreciate it.

Latest posts

Back