Really Rough Few Days

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gizzmoe

Reaction score
A little while back I made a post about me passing out and such. A lot of you guys were worried and I understand that as I was too. It is just that this has been an on going problem for many years now only to be told to treat the symptoms rather then figure out the problem. Or just put me on antidepressants to the hilt since we cant find anything wrong, it must be in your head. I have some good news and in retrospect some bad news.

Sunday I had another episode of passing out for a few seconds. This time I didn't come out of it and was still disoriented and confused for several hours later. I also was having periods where I spaced out and wasn't responsive. I had my mom take me to the hospital. They got me in quickly and I saw the doctor. She felt I was having seizures. So she gave me anti seizure medication. It was Tegretol. I was not able to get the prescription filled till Monday. So I took my first dose that night. I woke up covered in hives from it. I have never had an allergic reaction before so that spooked me. But on a good note, I actually slept good Monday night and woke up feeling rested on Tuesday. Yesterday we were able to get me set up at a doctor's office that does sliding scale. My appointment was this morning. The doc prescribed me a different anti seizure medication and wants me to come back in four weeks. Sooner if I have any problems. When I told him about the things I go through sometimes he also agreed with the ER doctor, so right now its a matter of finding the right medication for me to control this.

So right now I am feeling really good about this. I like my new doctor because he listened rather then shun me off as being crazy. Now on my to do list for next week when James gets paid again is to get one of those medical ID alert bracelets that says I have a seizure disorder and am allergic to Tegretol. Right now it doesn't seem like much but maybe I can get my life back some more.

I hope you are feeling a little more in control now.......one step at a time, right? Our grown foster daughter, Jessica, also was having the same symptoms. It started last year and she's still having them periodically. The doctors have been trying all sorts of different drugs on her, including anti-seizure meds. But haven't found the right one, apparently. She's not driving with her kids in the car anymore, but still drives -- which I don't think is very wise.

I'm making a note of the Tegretol. What is the name of the new med you are on? I'd like to pass this info on.

Thank you for sharing all of this.

Dilantin is what I am starting this afternoon. Its more expensive then the tegretol but of course I am allergic to it. Go figure :DOH!

Gosh, I'm sorry for your allergic reaction like that. Tegretol is what I have to take for my Trigeminal Neuralgia. I do hope they can find what can help you best without creating further complications. Hope you're feeling better soon.

My family seems to have more than our share of people with seizures. My older brother (passed on now) had grande mal seizures for many years and was prescribed Tegratol, Dilantin and Phenobarbitol. When I started exhibiting seizure symptoms as a young adult they tried me on the Tegratol as well. Now my youngest has a seizure disorder (the least of her issues ) and they have tried the same drugs, then Clobazam but now she is on one called Topiramate (Topimax) A friend has a child with seizures and the drug they use for him is called Valproic acid. These spellings could be wrong of course. Each of these meds has different side effects and works in different ways to control seizures. The good news is that for most people they do control them and life is fairly normal. Here in Canada you must remain seizure free for one year before you can drive. Doctors are required by law to report patients who are diagnosed with seizures to the government to ensure this and then you must get a signed letter from the doctor to reapply for your suspended license.

Glad you finally found out the cause of your problems, once you find the right meds things will get easier.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back