Really, just how well can a mare hide a foal

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Frankie

Reaction score
I did not breed last year,,,,,,,but I did have one oops day. I wrote it down just in case, it was June 27th. The mare was not in heat,,but this stallion WAS going to cover her, and did,,,and she has not been in heat since. :DOH! The reason for the oops has been long repaired, taken care of.

If she is in foal, not a problem, it just was not planned.

The mare is taller, so just how well can she hide a foal? Have you ever had a mare hide one even up to the date of delivering? Is that really possible?

She does not "look" like in foal at all,,,,,,,she has gotten a little belly in the past 2 weeks, but in my opinion, that is her joy of new spring grass.

I have told myself, at this long of a period, I would have to know by looking at her,,,,,,,,,could I be wrong?

I did not breed last year,,,,,,,but I did have one oops day. I wrote it down just in case, it was June 27th. The mare was not in heat,,but this stallion WAS going to cover her, and did,,,and she has not been in heat since. :DOH! The reason for the oops has been long repaired, taken care of.

If she is in foal, not a problem, it just was not planned.

The mare is taller, so just how well can she hide a foal? Have you ever had a mare hide one even up to the date of delivering? Is that really possible?

She does not "look" like in foal at all,,,,,,,she has gotten a little belly in the past 2 weeks, but in my opinion, that is her joy of new spring grass.

I have told myself, at this long of a period, I would have to know by looking at her,,,,,,,,,could I be wrong?
Well...if the mare was NOT in heat, she couldn't have conceived, regardless of the stallion "covering" her.

That being said.....are you SURE she was not in season when this happened? Many mares just don't show it much, other than the fact they will allow the stallion to breed. And even then, sometimes, they really protest! I would think if she were that close to a due date....you would be seeing signs.

Heck Dona, I can't say 100% sure, because this is one of those mares that the only thing regular about her heat cycle, is it is always irregular, if you know what I'm saying.

I have a taller mare that, though she had even been ultrasounded early on as in foal, I was really wondering if she had lost it somewhere along the way, because she just didn't show it at all. Yes, she was chubby, but it was an all-over body chubbiness. It was the same way with her second foal, I debated with myself the entire time whether she was really in foal or not, all the way up to when she went into labor (well, I guess she IS! lol). Never could feel foal movement. Mares!!
default_rolleyes.gif

With my little mares, it just doesn't happen -- let's face it, that belly has NO WHERE to hide
default_new_shocked.gif
default_biggrin.png
Even tho it can be fairly unnoticed if an early spring foal, with all the winter hair, but will show!

Now, with my tall mares -- a couple of short B girls -- I have had this happen TWICE.
default_wacko.png
Both maidens. While both looked to have gained a tiny during the winter, neither looked anywhere near preggers. I mean, no sides out or down, just a little "overall" gain. In fact, I was pleased with it . Of course, not thinking bred, I was shocked when one looked to have a full bag when she swished her tail at the feed trough! I looked again, not believing what I thought I saw, then felt and sure enough, heavy bagged. Heavy enough that a few days later her foal was born :DOH! Four years later -- her DAUGHTER, the one whom I just discussed being born -- had gotten out and had a fling with a stallion. She showed heat after, several times, I thought she had escaped the pregnancy route. Went to feed one evening and she was down, started to roll -- got up. First thought, colic. Feed other groups, watching hers, and down again -- this time pushing
default_new_shocked.gif
I ran over to check and she's presenting. It was a colt, appeared twisted cord and aborting but, haired, etc. I'd say, 6 wks early. Very small bag had started but I noticed this as she was delivering.

YEP, it can sometimes happen. You know the date -- just keep checking her bag.
default_yes.gif

May2331.jpg

This picture of this mare was taken May 28 of 06 she foaled a very large colt June 17 of 06. Does she look preg?

They sure can fool a person.. I had the same mare do this to me twice.. First foal was really tiny and the mare

was a chunky girl.. The second foal from this mare was a through the gate surprise breeding.. again a small

foal and the mare showed nothing.. Then there is the reverse.. Very preg. looking mare making milk and showing all signs of foaling had a false preg.. :DOH!

Latest posts

Back