Really crappy day

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sdmini

Reaction score
I'm not one given to rants or feeling sorry for myself but I need to vent.

This has been one long, crappy day with a long, crappy night ahead of me. We were hit with a hail storm this morning and when I say hit, I mean hit.

It was around 10:00 we were all outside discussing who was going to take the van in to the repair shop in town for a new muffler. There was a big, black cloud over head so my husband didn't figure he would go to the field so he was going to take it in. He was just about to the van when we heard a huge whap, something had hit the machine shed. I didn't see it but Tim saw a chunk of hail hit the ground next to him, he took off running for the van hollering to get the kids in the house, the "chunk" was about the size of a softball. I had seen the youngest two go in the house moments before so I found Bobbie and got in the house just as it let loose. As I'm taking off my shoes and coat I ask where Brock was, I about died when my youngest pointed out the back door and said he went to get his bike. In a moment I was back out the door, the hail was bouncing off of everything, with more than a little luck Brock came trucking around the corner, eyes wide as dinner plates. So in he came, no worse for wear other than he told Bobbie that it sure stung when you got hit.

hail4.gif

After it was all said and done (lasted about 15 minutes) I put my boots on and went checking on things. I was never so happy to see a broken wire, apparently the mares crowded into the fence by the trees and broke a wire and crawled in and were relatively protected. All but one anyway. My heart sank as I walked across too them and one mare was calling for her filly. I could see her bay filly standing in the middle of the pasture by herself. I thought, she's standing that's a good sign. When I got up to her I was feeling less and less encouraged. The poor baby looked like she had been beaten with a bat. Her head was misshapen, she had a tooth knocked out, you couldn't touch her with a splayed hand without running into a lump left from the hail. She walked on her own to the barn, she couldn't track in a straight line but was walking. I called the vet, they patched me through as he was headed out on a call. Luckily everything he wanted me to give I had and he told me he would be out later. I've never had such a hard time hitting a vein, her poor neck was so swollen. When he got here he gave her a few more meds and said she was a poor candidate to move. If in the morning she has stabilized she'll make the trek to the vets, chances are not real good that she'll live through the night.

bows1.jpg

Week old photo.

After I initally got her to the barn and started on meds I started making the trip around the rest of the yard checking on things. The hail killed two chickens and we had to kill a duck as it broke it's wing and beak. The rooster had bloody comb and a swollen eye that he should be thankful for, we found phesants that had their heads split in two from the hail. (He is a Turken, he's not suppose to have any feathers on his neck)I'm sure the hail killed lots of wildlife.

hail12.gif

It took out the windsheild on the grain truck, tractor and the farm car.

hail7.gif

I put hail in the dents on the trunk for more of a visual. This was at least an hour after it was over.

hail10.gif

We have a new house and it beat up the roof and twisted the antana and shattered the sun tunnel but even though our neighbors did we, thankfully, didn't loose any windows in the house.

hail5.gif

It punched holes through our well house as well as our machine shed. Took out all the windows on the North side of the barn.

This is the steel roof off the machine shed.

hail8.gif

These are not missing shingles they are holes.

hail6.gif

Again these were taken long after the storm was over just to give you some size perspective.

(Bottom of a pop can)

hail13.gif

hail9.gif

It all but destroyed some fields while others are barly touched. Of course we didn't get our hail insurace this year, meant too but kept putting it off till we had to do something else in town. I don't expect sympathy for our own stupidity but it still stings.

hail11.gif

Our sprayer tank, fertilizer tank and water tank have holes big as a fist punched through them.

The poor neighbors had more property damage, they live less than a mile away, it ripped the gutters off the house, shattered windows and punched holes through their deck. The trees around here have been shredded.

It's a B & B day, Bawl or Booze. It was such a destructive storm that did so many dollars worth of damage, then when I go to the barn I feel so guilty for feeling bad about the "stuff" that I feel crappier. I made myself go do some "normal" things, I caught a yearling and snapped some photos, but feeling better lasted about as long as it took till I went to check on the filly.

The filly is still alive but everytime I go to check on her it takes me a moment to flick on the light.

I'm not begging for sympathy here, so many people have it worse than me. The neighbors are all in the same boat and it doesn't do any good to sit and mope but I just needed to complain/whine/cry a bit. Tomorrow starts another round of crap as I'm sure we have a bunch of babies that just aren't going to be feeling very good plus there is a lot to clean up. Sooner or later things will start looking up but right now everything sure looks crappy.

Sorry for taking up your time with my rant and if you have any spare good thought send them my way for the filly.

Oh my goodness. I would be ranting too. So sorry for everything you've been threw.. YOur little filly will be in my thoughts and prayers..
default_pray.gif
:
default_pray.gif
: Hopefully you can get her to come around..The power of prayer has worked on this forum, hopefully everyone will be sending alot your way.. So sorry again.. :no:

Last edited by a moderator:
:new_shocked: OMG I have honestly never seen anything like that and had NO IDEA that hail even came in that size. I would have never expected to see that type of damage from a short hail storm truly unbelieveable ( I mean I believe you but I just had no clue)

Youa re not whining or complaining I Mean I appreciate you are thinking there are those who have it worse and that is pretty much always the case however that doesnt take away the feelings you have and the stress- fear you are going thru

I am keeping your filly in my thoughts please let us know if there is anything we can do

I pray your poor little filly will survive this & be okay in time. Poor baby, I feel so bad for her. Did she make it through the night?

We've not had a hail storm like that just here, but it's been all too close a few times. One year a storm like that went through the Boissevain area south of here. I don't honestly know how the livestock fared--I never heard a lot about the animals--but the hail completely wiped out the birds (dead songbirds everywhere), it stripped the leaves from the trees--driving through the area afterward it looked like a wasteland.

Our horses all have sheds to go into, but in a hail storm they often won't use them--they don't like that noise on the roof, and hail is the thing I worry about most in our storms.

Please don't feel sorry for ranting/whining/crying. I would be crying right along with you, and would feel exactly the same way as you if it were my place. I am so terribly sorry for your experience, and for the fact that you (and your neighbors) have to go through this horrific event. Please take care, and keep us posted about the little filly.

I am shocked at those pics. My heart is just broken for you and your neighbors. I have never seens hail that large, thank God you all got to shelter safely. I shudder to think if you'd been in the fields. My prayers come for the filly and all I can send. Let us know how she is and know that you can and should rant here. We're more than family and we do care alot!

thats a horrible day!! im so sorry. sending prayers for your filly. please update us on her

Oh Marlee!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am SOOOOOOOOOOO sorry to hear about this! Made me just tear up (still tearing up) reading it!!!!!! So glad you posted! How AWFUL!!!!!!!!!!!!! I wish I was closer!!!!!!!! I wish there was something I could do to help????? Is there????? If there IS anything I can do you just let me know!! How awful! Luckily I've not had hail here (where I've lived) that large only pee size or a tad larger....... That POOR filly! Omg....... Jeeze!

Chin Up! We're here for you!!!

Chesa

Wow, I am so sorry to hear this, please, is the filly ok?

I have never seen hail like that, and sure hope none of us ever does!

Looked at this topic earlier, wanted to add a reply, but no words came. I am so sorry doesn't seem adequate! I pray that little filly will be okay!

We've had so much rain and so many storms here lately, and I've been scared to death, but when you have had so much trouble and destruction in 15 minutes, makes me sound like a baby! I know how heartbreaking it is to see all your hard work undone in such a short time. Hope your world gets better quickly!

Please have that adult beverage soon!

Last edited by a moderator:
We lost the filly last night, when I checked on her at 3:00 she wasn't doing very well at all and shortly before 4:00 she died.

We keep finding more and more damage, some in worses ways than others. I spent the morning looking for one set of cows as the hail destroyed the electric fencer and we didn't think to check it yesterday. They are found but not home as they are about four miles from home, on the other side of a newly formed lake in the middle of a corn field. Granted it's not Lake Erie but more than I was going to try with the 4-wheeler. For the first time in years I don't have a riding horse (one at the trainers but that does me little good now) so I'm waiting for my sister and her boys to come over with theirs to bring them home.

Thanks everyone for your words. I hear the trailer so better go.

:new_shocked: OH MY! I am so very sorry for such devastation and loss Marlee. I heard about the sofyball sized hail down that way, but they said in southern Minnesota, but I guess you got it there too. I hope and pray your filly will pull through in time. (((HUGS)))

Sorry for your loss, and that is unbelievable :new_shocked: , Thinking of you in your time of need
default_pray.gif
:

Marlee, my thoughts are with you and your family/neighbors hit by this hail. I've been there with hail a few years ago...it isn't fun to look.....it is a farmers worst nightmare to see the devestation of mother's natures hand. Easy to get down. Everytime it storms and I see hail now....my heart just sinks.....it's very hard to forget it when you see it first hand.

It will get better though...just takes time. After you get the storm basics taken care of and animals tended to and all ok....try to go to town if even for a short time to get away from it. A short break away from home helps...even a meal away.

Take care and I hope your filly gets better fast. My thoughts and prayers are with you...I know this is hard to go through.

Oh no, I just now saw your post about losing the filly. I am SOOOOOOOOO sorry. I feel sooo bad for you and your family.

Oh no, I just saw your last post. I'm so sorry about your filly. Take care.

This qualifies as a world-class crappy day. Vent all you need to.

I'm so sorry...I wish that something I could say could make it easier.

Liz M.

Latest posts

Back