Really bummed out :( (Warning long story)

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reignmaker Miniatures

Reaction score
Well, we decided this fall to buy a couple of heifers from a neighbour who was culling his entire herd to restart it with registered stock. He delivered them last Saturday, a black yearling (she scaled at 1100lbs
default_new_shocked.gif
) and a red angus weanling. I was so excited to add them to our farm and had already picked their names (lol, it helped to know they were girls and so not for meat) The neighbour (from about 5 miles away) delivered them late which worried me, it was already dark when they arrived. Unloaded them into our corral and left them alone to settle in. We went in and had coffee and a visit and after a couple of hours he headed home. We got a call from him shortly after, the heifers got back before he did. It was too dark to do anything so we left them and went to check the fence the next morning. They had jumped out of a rail fence (made originally for our stallions so it was solid and over 4.5 feet high) the top rail was snapped , I assume by the yearling when she jumped, making it possible for the littler one to jump out too. So the next day he and his sons tried to round them up and run them in to the holding pens again and the yearling was happy to join the older cows still there, The calf however, bolted (I suspect the kids pushed too hard - on snowmobiles or 4 wheelers- and panicked her but won't say that to them) so my husband went up to help find her and they tromped thro the bush for hours and it looked like she was heading towards another farm about 10-15 miles from us (closer to our neighbour cross country but not sure if she could hear those cows or not) They called that farmer and he related that they had lost a cow 2 days earlier to a wolf pack but would keep an eye out for her. Now of course we were worried but when they called it a day the tracks had turned towards home again - her old home not ours. Then yesterday we called him and were relieved to hear they had seen her several times feeding from his round bale stack. The decision was made to just leave her for a day or two and hope she would settle down and want to be with the older cows again and we breathed a sigh of relief that she was not wandering alone in the bush where the predators would find no deterrent to taking her down. Well, today they called my husband at work to let him know, the calf wandered away from the farm again and out to the edge of the road well away from the buildings, and either wolves or coyotes got her
default_no.gif
Poor little thing, she was so lost and afraid at the end. Newly separated from her momma and then all the other changes in her life. The yearling is still fine but we have decided we'll probably just have her processed and eat her (better us than the wolves I guess) Anyway I am really feeling down about it, we can not really afford to spend money on wolf food for one thing but mostly it is just too sad to see her end this way.

Thank you for your sympathy laughingllama. Its not like I had a chance to get attached to her but ...dang it is still upsetting to think of her being so afraid and no safety or comfort available to her.

Aww poor baby...that is a bummer. You did try your best to give her a better life some critters are just not meant to be.

I know how you feel, we've tried for years to have ducks at the family farm only to have them eaten by foxes. I told DH that we won't buy anymore, we might as well get frozen chickens and feed the foxes that way, it's cheaper and less heartbreaking.

That is sad but true candycar, I was so looking forward to having a cow here again. I've missed the sight and sound of them, but I guess it is just not meant to be, at least for now. I have no problem with wild predators but I sure don't want to be their food supply line. I feel for the neighbour since now that the wolves have taken down one calf the others will seem more appealing and he is likely to have trouble. I lost a couple of chickens this fall from their pen, just vanished, no feathers and no blood. Saw the culprit the other day, nosing around the chicken house (my birds are indoors for the winter) in broad daylight was a lynx (or a bobcat - tho some insist we have only lynx). Just as bold as you please wondering where the birds were. I could just hear him, "well where the heck are those birds? I promised the family a chicken dinner tonight" LOL (of course I do know they are solitary and have no 'family' to feed at this time of year.)

That is so sad
default_sad.png
I'm sorry she was lost in such a horrible way.

Latest posts

Back