Really Angry

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Leeana

Reaction score
I have been angry the past couple days because Friday the nabors called the cops on us. I guess they yelled for us from there backyard about 50 times (because i mean they cant call or walk over ..there nabors!
new_shocked.gif
). Well they called the cops for about the 3'd time i guess in the last month or two. Well here is what it was over.

(its not exactly mini horse related but they bring them up to).

Well our Fresian that we got a couple month ago, he is really well behaved but he just isnt a stall-loving-horse. If he cant run ..he isnt to happy. Well i guess he apparently kicks the barn walls in the middle of the night non-stop and wakes them up, is making noise all day long when he is in his stall and just being as they put it a 'maniace horse'. Well since dad would not allow me to speak, and the cop wouldnt either (its a under 18 thing) and the cop said that the guy had called before a couple times but they said there wasnt much they could do. Well the cops called us a couple weekends ago and told us the guys story whcih i guess was the 2'ed time he had called them. Well friday when i got back from the BBQ ...the cops were waiting. They said that we had 2 weeks to get ride or the horse or remove it from this barn since we didnt do what we said and 'train' it. Which is crap because i walk him every night and take him for a ride. He is a wonderful horse ..but i know he has some stall issues.

Well we were not really planning on going to Mt. Hope yesterday but we decided to go. We decided to go on down since we cant put the horse anywhere else. We have a 2'd barn about 5 miles away but there are only 5 stalls and no other horse then those 5 are aloud even around that barn (race horses and pacers so they try to keep other horses out). We also have no other open stalls here in my half of the barn. We got $1,800 out of him at Mt. Hope which is close enouph to what we payed. I just hate selling horses bc i bond w/ them like nothing else. Our nabors are always looking to start trouble though ..w/ everything. They even complained about our tractor when we mow the grass w/ it
new_shocked.gif
. His wife is pretty nice but he is just ...arghh.

We did get something nice though ..beautiful 14.3 HH sorrel pony gelding (gelded last week). Really nice ..got him w/ saddle, bridle (new saddle&bridle). Had the vet out today to check him out, said he was safe but to keep him away from the other horses for a couple days or weeks just in case. He is really friendly and been handled allot (oh yeah he was only $850). He is broke to ride but needs more expirence under the saddle so our nabor (rides bulls) is going to help w/ that.

I refuse to get rid of any other horses. I mean this was hard enouph ..no way can i get rid of my other horses. They all have wonderful behavior.

~Oh yes ..other things they have complained about in the past couple year's~

-They dont like looking out there backwindow and seeing horses next door (you idiots, you live in the country ..15 miles from town....MOVE!
yes.gif
)

-Sometimes 1 or 2 turds role from the pasture into there background if its a bit windy.
ohmy.gif

wacko.gif
wacko.gif
wacko.gif
wacko.gif
wacko.gif

Why didnt you just leave the horse out of the stall then?

he's out of his stall during the day all the time ..thats why they complained about looking out there window and seeing horses ..he's only in his stall at night and when its raining or storming. Basically we dont leave our horses out at night because we had a pony (i think it was a mini ..it was when i was like 7 or 8 years old so i dont really remember) and we left it out ..got out somehow and get killed. So we dont do that. A horse has to be in his stall sometime ..you just cant satisfy these ppl.

Sorry - but I've got to side with your neighbors. A horse that kicks his stalls all night and all day because he's not outside IS a problem, and if they had called 2 times before and nothing had changed, then it is an issue that needed to be solved.

Having to listen to bang bang bang all night and having to get up and go to work the next morning would make ME call the police, and I have 19 horses of my own. Unfortunately you couldn't find another choice but to sell him, but hopefully this will solve the current issue.

Just because you live in the country doesn't mean you don't have to respect your neighbors rights also.

Maybe you could try to mend some fences by making sure no little manure balls roll into their yard, and you do your best to make it pleasant for everybody.

They live no where near here though ...there also retired so they dont go to work early. I live closer to the barn then them and i cant hear anything ..they live about 2x farther then we do from it. He has never liked us because they moved here the same time we did. The guy had 3 properties for sale and we got the biggest one that this guy was wanting (he raises Goats). We built a barn and they guy complains about so much stuff. Even the guys next to us who has 1 horse ..and its about 11HH. That horse is sound and everything. I think these people are just trying to find something to complain about daily. They do work a little, he works sometimes with his son building ladders and desks, stuff like that. But i really dont see the big problem this guy made. Its not like his goats dont get loose every weekend and terrize my dog. Maybe i should complaine about that instead of catch it for the man. I think this guy has more problems then a horse!

Hello Leanna, as usual you can color me confused because according to what you said your horse was locked in all day and all night:

he apparently kicks the barn walls in the middle of the night non-stop and wakes them up, is making noise all day long when he is in his stall

When a horse is making a racket like that, usually there is something wrong. Is the stall too small for him? My horses love to be in as long as they are kept happy with hay, water, fans, and other horses. Could be he's inside without enough ventilation, water, or he's the only one in there and he can't see the other horses, or he's uncomfortable in there or he just plain wants OUT!

I have one of those OUT horses too. So I fixed Sonny's stall where he could walk in and out as he pleases. However, when I have to lock him in for any number of reasons I am always sure to provide him with plenty of hay and usually give him a snack too. Gotta make him happy and comfortable.

My minis: Merry Beth and Chrissy go at it all night long, BANG BANG BANG.....I swear to pete I am always running outside in the middle of the night telling them to shut up. They are playing! They are also driving me up a wall too! BANG BANG BANG and it does get annoying. Their stall walls are low so they can reach over the top and go at it all night long. Merry Beth ate Chrissy's mane and Chrissy ate Merry Beth's tail
ohmy.gif
ohmy.gif
ohmy.gif
......ho hum......children.........They will not be able to do that in the new barn
yes.gif

I really don't know how any cop can force you to sell a horse and/or give you two weeks notice to do that. I would imagine that the neighbor's would have had to go to court or something first. Doesn't sound right to me.

Seams to me if the horse had a chance at a run in stall if that would make the animal happier... Some just don't like being "jailed" in a barn.. In and out runs may solve the problem..

Marty said:
I really don't know how any cop can force you to sell a horse and/or give you two weeks notice to do that. I would imagine that the neighbor's would have had to go to court or something first. Doesn't sound right to me.
Having worked for two Sheriff Offices as a secretary entering the Deputies' reports...

If the neighbors complained about you and filed reports with the SO, the SO should have contacted you with the nature of EACH of those complaints so you were made aware of them and had an appropriate amount of time to make any adjustments to rectify the situation to everyone's satisfaction.

Were you informed and given an amount of time to make changes or rectify the situation?

Did you do anything to try to rectify the situation other than sell the horse?

I also have to agree that no one can make you remove a personal pet/animal without first going through legal channels, and usually that is over dangerous animals, not noisy ones...

Heidi

465609[/snapback]

I agree there. Without a court order, something seems wrong.

Our small rural town makes you sign a waiver before purchasing a house/property outside the village. In short, it states that you are moving into a farming community and there will be sights and smells and noises at ALL hours. If you cannot deal with cows, combines, mechanized bean pickers, tractors disking fields, horses, etc., don't buy here.

It is a plus for taking care of the manure pile - twice a year my neighbor brings a backhoe and spreader and takes my manure pile to spread on his fields. His feed corn lot has some nice corn for his cows this year!

I just hope that the new folks wanting the rural setting who are purchasing farms that have been subdivided in our area, realize that fact.
yes.gif

Denise

Silversong Farm

When i say he was making noise all day long in his stall i ment when we do keep him in his stall because of the weather. In ohio the weather changes daily and if its pooring down rain all day and only about 30degree's im not going to be putting my horse out and let him get sick.

The reason he went for $1,800 was because it was an auction and they sold him right before the mini's since we got there late and missed the drafty horses they sell in the morning first. He was registered but in amish country they really dont care about papers. We wanted to get at least $1,500 our of him.

We dont have the money to Board him or pay anyone to keep him in there barn. Also the cop only contacted us once and that was the second time that the guy called them. So we didnt have more then 2 or 3 weeks untill he called agian friday morning.

I know for a fact it wasnt that his stall was to small because it was big, Its the stall we used for foaling (used to be our breeding stall way before i was born). I understand that there isnt much we could do and really i had no say at all in it, my dad didnt allow that. I couldnt argue and i knew that if we kept him the nabors would not stop. Plus if it was that big of an issue from the way they made it to be, then maybe it was best. Im not as angry today which is good.

The guy i sold it to had a 16 year old daughter who shows quarter horses and does unicorn draft shows. I talked to her after the auction and she was very nice and i know he went to a good home. Big pasture's ext. She knows about his stall trouble's and said they will try to work something out.

Mercysmom-

We do the same thing almost. We have this dumpster like thing that we use and we sell it to farmers around here. Its just i dont see how they can get mad when the horses poop near the fence by there yard and a couple little peices get about 3 feet into there yard. The dumpster is about 200 feet away and enclosed thank god. Im going to talk to there son at school tommarow (no school today due to fog fog fog fog fog!
aktion033.gif
)

When i say he was making noise all day long in his stall i ment when we do keep him in his stall because of the weather. In ohio the weather changes daily and if its pooring down rain all day and only about 30degree's im not going to be putting my horse out and let him get sick.
Just for furture reference so you dont go selling another friesian on me
wink.gif
smile.gif

I wont give his name of corse but I know a guy who has a good 20 brood mares in a pasture with no run ins and they dont come in barns - rain, sleet, snow, hail, whatever comes there way they are outside and never have any of them been sick. And here in nortern MI it gets to be -10 easy at nights come winter time.

But that said I know where your comming from, I try to stall mine if it gets rainey and below 40 degrees and they all come in the barn at night, but if it came down to me selling one over simply turning it out since thats obviously what the horse wanted in the first place, I would definatly leave him out.

Glad he went to a good home, from the sounds of it.

New_Image

Yeah we use to do that when we had 2 pony's a long time ago. They were out day and night, but they did come in all winter. One got loose and died though and i still have to go check on the horses every couple hours still. Were just not much for leaving them out all the time and knowing the nabor he would complane about that somehow. Im okay w/ this now, wish i still had him though and probaly always will but im fine as long as he went to a good home.
smile.gif

I am still puzzled by the purebred "Friesian" selling for next to nothing.

Registered?? Papered?? Even without papers many would jump at the chance.... and a purebred Friesian would stand out like a sore thumb at any mixed sale. So please forgive me - but I am thinking he was either not a Friesian or a cross of some sort.
wink.gif

There is no problem with a horse being out in the rain in cold weather if he had a water proof blanket or lacking that - a windbreak - even trees - for some shelter.... horses get sicker from being confined in stalls too much than they do from being outside....

Where I used to work, both Arabians and Minis thrived in the -30 winters and loved the snow... with only their fuzzies to protect them....
laugh.gif

Perhaps your neighbours treated the contant kicking thumps the way many would treat a barking dog.... as a noise nuisance... and police do go and ask people to shut their dogs up...
yes.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Back