REALITY CHECK - KATRINA

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ruffian

Reaction score
[SIZE=14pt]While it's totally awesome that everybody wants to help these 9 horses, we need to step back and realize they are HORSES -- there are thousands of PEOPLE who need assistance first!!! We can contribute to rescue groups, and make offers of help, but sending hundreds of e-mails to CNN, or trying to contact news anchors to bring the plight of horses to the forefront is not what needs to be done right now![/SIZE]

There has been, and will continue to be, loss of HUMAN LIFE, and HUMAN suffering. Let's not try to bypass the system or interfere at this point for anything other than that.

So send a contribution to legitimate rescue organizations, and be ready to help when it's appropriate, but let's understand the true priorities in this disaster.

Ruffian.

Thank you Ruffian, I could'nt have said it better. Although we all can appreciate Gods little creatures, people are more important to aid in life and death matters like this.

I don't think that the people of this forum are necessarily putting the horses lives before the humans. I believe that they are just trying to help in their own special way, in a way that they know best and for many of us thats horses. We know horses and we know that we can help with that. I know we should all be doing our best to help the people by donating money, food, whatever we can to help but this being a horse forum I think we can aslo talk about how we are going to help the horses and their owners too. But yes, if all we worry about are the horses then what about the people, they need it more.

Whilst I agree with the sentiment behind your post, I would also point out that some at least of the people were actually aware of the dangers and chose to stay. NONE of the animals had a choice. The animals are totally at the mercy of whatever we do to or for them. Out f all the news footage I have watched I am afraid the bit that will stay with me forever is the footage of a boat team rescuing, or so I thought, a man and his dog stranded on a roof. Without conversation or a backwood glance the man got in the boat and left the dog there to starve to death. The camera stayed on the dog as the boat pulled away. He had stayed with his master as the waters rose. He had sat with his master for four days and shared hos hunger. He was abandoned by a man who I hope has troubled dreams for the rest of his life, to starve on that roof top, alone, in the dark, amid the storm. May that man ROT for what he did. We DO need to get to the animals, because there are so many people who care NOTHING for them at all. In my eyes, I am sorry to be so harsh, but, in my eyes, the rescue of that man was a waste of time. They should have left him there.

I'm with Fizz on this people can take care of themselves and as a horse board that's what our lives revolve around. Lots of aid will be coming from many sources for people but rarely are the animals thought of. I applaud those with the foresight to consider them too.

And frankly, I know more animals worth saving than people
rolleyes.gif

Of course there are people still desperately needing help in that area; I don't think anyone is minimizing that. There are rescue crews trying to help them, even if it is very slow going in some/many areas. In some places people are shooting at the rescuers...I can only imagine how frustrated and desperate they must be, but I don't see how that is going to help anyone
no.gif

I know there are probably many more horses, cattle, donkeys, pigs and whatever other animals in the same dire straits as these 9 minis. I understand why they can't allow countless animal rescue people to be milling around in the area trying to find the animals that need helping. But when it's known there are specific animals to rescue, to me it's a little different--it's one trailer in, going to a specific destination, load up and one trailer out. Keep in mind that there are people in this case too--at least 2, 5 if the 3 children are there with their parents. If the trailer could get in for the horses, those people would probably come out with it.

Some people chose to stay in the area; others of course had no choice and couldn't leave, some wouldn't leave because of their livestock & pets...the animals, though, had no choice at all. When it's known where/how many animals there are to be evacuated, leaving them there to starve or die of dehydration doesn't help any people at all.

Rabbit Fizz, I am with you all the way. I also saw that and it broke my heart. They are at least trying to help the human victims but the animals cannot help themselves. They rely on us. I just cant hardley stand to think of it. Sheila
no.gif

Okay, I just read rabbitsfizz's post above....well said!!

Too many people consider animals as "disposable". I'm not even going to say what I think about the dog being left on the rooftop.....make that dogs/cats, because I'm sure there were many in the same situation.

Im with RabbitFizz as well. It's not putting horses above people. The Bradfords and their children are going to watch their remaining minis die a slow painful death unless help arrives and here we have a great group of folks who have been feeling totally helpless and now have an avenue to try to extend help to someone who desparately needs it. I didn't see the man leave his dog on the roof but heard of the little boy and his mother who had to leave their tiny poodle at the Astrodome to God knows what kind of fate. This is all just so heartwrenching if we could see just one animal success story it would be so uplifting.

I tend to agree that to an extent the people can help themselves. One of the most heartbreaking clips I saw was as they were loading the buses to go to Texas, there was a little white dog sitting up at the bus door because his owner was on it and he couldn't be taken. Obviously the owner cared enough about the little one to take it with them when they sought shelter, but couldn't take it when they were bussed out. I'm almost in tears every time I watch coverage. My heart is absolutely breaking for these people and the animals. May God Help Them All!!!!

He had sat with his master for four days and shared hos hunger. He was abandoned by a man who I hope has troubled dreams for the rest of his life, to starve on that roof top, alone, in the dark, amid the storm. May that man ROT for what he did.
I agree this is very heartbreaking and so not fair, but it could of been the rescuers would not take the dog. There were families who had to choose who got to get rescued (people not animals) while others where left behind to die. You are right animals do not have a choice in this matter. I don't think saying they chose to stay is fair to those people either...no one knew the impact of what the whole thing was going to be and perhaps that man on the rooftop already lost some of his family, we just don't know.

I love all animals with all my heart, but in my book people come first. I made my largest donation to the red cross and smaller ones to 3 other animal rescues.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am not going to apologize for trying to help this family and horses. Bill & Judith were BEGGING for someone to come and help their horses. I firmly believe that animals are soul menders. To lose everything you have and then watch your animals die a slow painful death from starvation is a mental/emotional nightmare.

In my previous post i said i DO understand that we need to help humans first. But i also believe that by helping get their animals out and giving them one less thing to worry about IS HELPING HUMANS.

Also it was my idea to email CNN. It was something simple everyone could do. I strongly feel that CNN should not have aired this story since they KNEW there was no way to help these animals. In my mind they have a certain responsibility over what they choose to air on live television.

I along with CMHR other board members, Alison at AMHA, and Dawn at Lonestar WERE FLOODED with calls and emails. Alison had logged around 500 calls to amha quarters. I probably had 50 myself until i got online which stopped my calls and 30 to my cell phone and 30 plus emails all in the span of about one hour. This shows you how affected people were by this telecast and this man crying and begging for help for his horses. I feel positive this man and his wife made sure their children were taken care of before begging people to help them with their horses. At least they will know that alot of people cared and alot of people tried to help them

Also i want to clarify something. I was asked by Alison to set up a paypal acct for donations as AMHA could not do it and they wanted an acct that people could donate to quickly. I told Alison on the phone we would be glad to do it and that anything we dont use would be sent on to other equine rescues helping in that area. And CMHR is a legitimate rescue and we are working with Lone Star to help where we can.

Kay

Wanted to add - if you donate to the Red Cross, often your employeer will match the donation, just take in the receipt to your work and hopefully they will.

Fordney Farms said:
You are right animals do not have a choice in this matter. I don't think saying they chose to stay is fair to those people either...no one knew the impact of what the whole thing was going to be
460065[/snapback]

I'm not trying to ruffle feathers, but I saw that hurricane on the news for days, each time getting bigger & bigger .... To me that’s a sign!!
new_shocked.gif
HELLO?! If a massive hurricane is coming your way & everyone is telling you to leave, do you sit around & wait? No, Leave! This happens ever year(hurricanes) so why do some people know better & stay?!
wacko.gif
no.gif
I don't know this topic to well, but that’s my input.. my two sense.

I'm with Rabbitsfizz 110%
yes.gif

I am with you rabbitfizz. That is horrible. I just am so thankful that I did not see that footage.

Please also remember this, unattended livestock and domestic animals, sick or injured are a significant human health risk, feral dogs have become a serious problem in other disaster areas, livestock can spread human diseases. The welfare and recovery of humans and animals really is one and the same.

I'm not trying to ruffle feathers, but I saw that hurricane on the news for days, each time getting bigger & bigger .... To me that’s a sign!!  HELLO?! If a massive hurricane is coming your way & everyone is telling you to leave, do you sit around & wait? No, Leave! This happens ever year(hurricanes) so why do some people know better & stay?!
You never know unless you are in the situation....some simply could not leave for various reasons, some were able to leave. I certainly don't think blaming them for staying is the correct thing to do here. The correct thing to do is help in whatever way you can, donations - whatever - prayers if that's all you have to give, for people and the animals.

rabbitsfizz said:
Whilst I agree with the sentiment behind your post, I would also point out that some at least of the people were actually aware of the dangers and chose to stay.  NONE of the animals had a choice.  The animals are totally at the mercy of whatever we do to or for them. Out f all the news footage I have watched I am afraid the bit that will stay with me forever is the footage of a boat team rescuing, or so I thought, a man and his dog stranded on a roof.  Without conversation or a backwood glance the man got in the boat and left the dog there to starve to death.  The camera stayed on the dog as the boat pulled away.  He had stayed with his master as the waters rose.  He had sat with his master for four days and shared hos hunger.  He was abandoned by a man who I hope has troubled dreams for the rest of his life, to starve on that roof top, alone, in the dark, amid the storm. May that man ROT for what he did.  We DO need to get to the animals, because there are so many people who care NOTHING for them at all.  In my eyes, I am sorry to be so harsh, but, in my eyes, the rescue of that man was a waste of time.  They should have left him there.
460050[/snapback]

AMEN !! that's heart wrenching to say the least.

midnight star stables said:
Fordney Farms said:
You are right animals do not have a choice in this matter. I don't think saying they chose to stay is fair to those people either...no one knew the impact of what the whole thing was going to be
460065[/snapback]

I'm not trying to ruffle feathers, but I saw that hurricane on the news for days, each time getting bigger & bigger .... To me that’s a sign!!
new_shocked.gif
HELLO?! If a massive hurricane is coming your way & everyone is telling you to leave, do you sit around & wait? No, Leave! This happens ever year(hurricanes) so why do some people know better & stay?!
wacko.gif
no.gif
I don't know this topic to well, but that’s my input.. my two sense.

I'm with Rabbitsfizz 110%
yes.gif

460072[/snapback]

What you may not 'get' is that New Orleans is a VERY poor area. A lot of people COULDN'T leave..many didn't have vehicles, many had NO MONEY to spend on the gas (if they could find it). Granted there are many that probably said "it won't be that bad"...that happens every time and death usually comes to those with that mentality...HOWEVER...some of the elderly and poor just had to pray for the best. I don't think it's fair to judge them, do you? It's easy to say that the solution is crystal clear when you're not in an area that's ever effected by these storms, but if you ever are, you know there is a lot of second guessing and trying to think straight period....

Hi Gang

I think what ever can be done to help them and the horses needs to be done.

I know if it were me, and I was told leave, but I can't take my horses.. I would

NOT leave. I would stay and do what I could keep them safe. These horses trust

us, they depend on us. God gave them to us as a special gift, its up to us to protect them.

Yes, the human life is important. But there are so many people out there working

to help them. Who is going to help the horses??

Rabbitsfizz, I did not see the coverage, glad I did not. But I am so with you, how could he leave that poor dog. You can't tell me the dog would have taken up much room. How scared the dog must have been. I sitting here crying. I feel for the people, but its the animals, who is going to help them.

I thought how incredible when I read the tread last night, of so many wanting to help and working so hard to help these people. What if it was you or I in need of help, who would we turn to? If we can not go to each other for help?

The horses and animals need help.

Vicky

Latest posts

Back