Reality check: How many carts & harnesses do you own

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We have ...

12 Minis/Shetlands who have shown in Driving classes (including eight who have won National titles in Pleasure, Country Pleasure, Roadster and Park Harness and a ninth who has won Reserve National titles in both Pleasure and Country.)

7 Minis who are in various stages of training for Driving classes

12 show harnesses, including six Lutkes

4 Jerald show carts

2 Jerald easy-entry carts

1 Jerald Viceroy

1 Jerald sulky

1 Graber show cart

1 Pony work cart

Also ...

1 Toterhome that sleeps a family of seven and can pull ...

1 trailer that holds 15 minis or ...

1 trailer that holds 6 minis

As I made out that list I recalled my wife telling me when we got our first mini, "Oh, they're a lot less expensive than big horses."

Considering we don't show/compete at all at driving, I haven't done too badly!
default_smile.png

2 Easy Entry carts

1 Superior Sulky show cart

3 leather harnesses

2 driving geldings

default_smile.png

Oh, and very frightening chariots that we've never hooked horses to that came in a package with some driving horses.
YOU HAVE CHARIOTS?!?!? And you never told me?!?!?

You have no idea how many times Crystal and I have wished that we had chariots so we could go back to AMHR Nationals just for that class - it looks SO fun!
default_biggrin.png

Oh, and very frightening chariots that we've never hooked horses to that came in a package with some driving horses.

You have no idea how many times Crystal and I have wished that we had chariots so we could go back to AMHR Nationals just for that class - it looks SO fun!
default_biggrin.png
No, no, these are frightening chariots, not the cool ones like at AMHR Nationals. They're scary and tip-over-y. Also only for a pair ... so all in all, not so exciting.
default_wink.png

default_biggrin.png
No, no, these are frightening chariots, not the cool ones like at AMHR Nationals. They're scary and tip-over-y. Also only for a pair ... so all in all, not so exciting.
default_wink.png
Hmmm, Edward and Buster, together at last?

Seriously, though, if they're non-functional I guess I forgive you for not lending them to me! ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
No fair Breanna! A) You have enough driving stuff of your own that you don't get to include the horses and carts that stay with your mom, and B) you need to enumerate your mini stuff! I can think of three of the driving minis and suspect I know the fourth, and I can pin down four of your six mini carts but am wondering about the other two.
default_wacko.png

Leia
I'm with Leia... no fair!!!
default_laugh.png

Maybe we should start a thread of our wish list carts and carriages?!!

default_biggrin.png
default_wink.png
Hmmm, Edward and Buster, together at last?

Seriously, though, if they're non-functional I guess I forgive you for not lending them to me! ;)

The chuckwagon guys borrowed them a couple Stampede's ago. They tipped over. If we still had Chris and Dude, that's about the speed of horse I'd be comfortable trying them out with. Course, you do have better balance than me ...

Since I started driving, I have gone through a few carts myself!

1. Graber open wheel cart, still have and use as my training/work cart.

2. Silver Penney Meadowbrook, now sold.

3. Jerald Show Cart open wheel, still have.

4. Graber closed wheel, still have.

5. Pacific Smart Cart, just sold so that I could buy...

6. Hardwick Hideout Tadpole, a 4 wheel carriage.

So I currently own 4 carts/carriages.

Harnesses:

2 beautiful patent leather Mini Express show harnesses

2 Estate Horse Supply show harnesses

2 Camptown Single CDE harnesses

and a Camptown Pairs harness setup on order.

So, 7-8 harnesses

Currently driving Esprit, Flirt, Ally, and Alladdin. Need to start ASAP Aleks, Gaia, and Colors.

Yes, it is an obsession....

Good grief! Looks like we are all "collectors!"

For us we have

2 Jerald show carts

1 Jerald EE cart

1 Houghton viceroy

5 Lutke Show Harnesses

1 biothane Chimacum harness

4 driving horses with a number to train when they are old enough!

Perhaps I should say driving is an "addiction?"

Oh my gosh I don't feel so bad. Right now I'm driving Oreo and Nikki is getting trained their both unders. Next year (hopefully) Sonny will get trained and he's about 34" right now.

I have a Jerald show cart I just got last show season.

Metal Easy Entry Cart

I have to pick up yet my Roadster Cart for Oreo

1 patent leather harness

1 leather beginners harness

going to order Nikki her patent leather harness

I THOUGHT about getting Oreo a new harness to go with his new Roadster Cart but didn't know what kind to get him as his Country Pleasure one I got from Mike Herron. I just love it and am going to get Nik's from him as well, but I see mentioned "Sport" harnesses can you use those to show in?????? Where do you get them?

Of course NEXT year I'll have to ADD to the list with Sonny..... Gee, I think I need a job, one that pays VERY, VERY well!!!!!!

It IS an addiction........ TJ

Last edited:
Two Jerald open wheel show carts: one oak with black appointments and one black with blue striping and chrome appointments!

One closed wheel Jerald: black with red stripes

Two wooden Meadowbrook carts

One EE cart

Two Lutke show harnesses: black with gold and black with red and gold

Onr Lutke Western show harness

Two Mini Express show harnesses: one silver, one gold

One CDE harness with Freedom collar

One draft type show harness: brass

Four training harnesses

Multiple bits and pieces of harnesses....

Six finished driving horses, although Dunny is retired.

One in harness, ground driving, never hooked

Three started in bitting rig, not ground driving yet

At least three waiting in the wings... not enough hours in the day!

Lucy

Last edited by a moderator:
Lucy I think your farm name fits you..... Your one busy person. TJ

Two mini's that drive.

We have 1 houghton cart burgandy another show cart black with red pinstripes. One wooden easy entry cart and one metal.

4 carts.

Mr Lutke came to a show last summer and brought 4 harness for us to look at. All beautiful so it was tough deciding on the one we wanted. He fitted it to my daughters new driving gelding and we thought we were in heaven. My best purchase last year the horse looks amazing wearing it.

3 harness.

It was our first year showing the minis last year and we had a blast. We met a lot of new people and everyone was so nice to us newbies. We would go to the shows and watch so finally bit the bullet and tried it ourselves. Now we can't wait for show season to start this year.

Hmmm let's see...

I have four mini carts (2 Eazy Ryders, 1 Frontier and the 4th is very similar to the Frontier)

1 horse cart (Eazy Ryder)

2 pony carts (1 Pacific Carriage Dartmoor (4 wheel marathon cart) and 1 Frontier).

Um... I think I have 5 mini harnessess, but might be 6

1 pony harness

1 horse harness

and another harness but I can't remember if it's pony or horse.... And by pony I mean large pony, the Dartmoor and the pony harness belong to my Fell, the Frontier was pulled by a Haflinger....

As for driving horses, I have 5 minis that are trained to drive.

1 is my CDE horse

1 is hubby's CDE horse

1 is my drill team horse

1 is hubby's drill team horse

1 was trained by a previous owner but I have yet to drive her (and right now I don't think she'd fit between the shafts hahaha (she's pregnant)

1 Fell pony I do CDE with

1 Fjord horse. I just got him and haven't driven him yet (getting to know him undersaddle first) but I will be driving him soon.

harnesses:

1 chimacum sport harness with freedom collar (chariot class and tippys everyday harness)

2 chimacum show harnesses (my everyday harnesses for the boys)

1 lutke western show harness

1 lutke show harness

carts:

1 houghton show cart

1 roman chariot

1 missouri flyer cde cart

driving horses 3 (see signature)

Just make sure my husband doesn't see this list....

Carts:

Jerald open wheel, have the large wood wheels and used for CDE

Graber show cart

Houghten 48" show cart

Houghten 52" show cart

Lignite EE custom made for 29" mini

Lignite roadster cart

Frontier EE

Double Diamond wood EE (WAY better than Frontier --wider seat, beter suspension)

Bellcrown marathon cart

Amish 2 wheel gig

metal training cart, 60"

Harnesses:

(2) Chimacum B sport harnesses

(1) Chimacum A sport harness

(3) additional Chimacum bridles--the regular dirving horses each have their own bridle

Ozark best of the best CDE harness

Ozark carriage harness

(2) Ozark show harnesses

Carriage house biothane sport harness

Estate patent leather show harness

russet work harness

(2) older show harnesses, one 20 years old, still in very good condition

team harness

parts parts parts

biggest mistake ever--selling the Lutke show harness because we thought we were getting out of showing AMHR.

Driving horses:

SR Desert Sun--National Grand Champion Country Pleasure, Prelim level CDE

Erica's Gimmie Another Glance--Nation Champion Country Pleasure, Prelim level CDE

SR Desert Mist--Res Nat Champion Pleasure driving, Prelim level CDE

Royal Trooper's Totally Rufus--training level CDE

DR Hide A Way Masons Elegant Echo--National Champion Park, Res Nat Champion Pleasure, training level CDE

Michigan's Blue Cobalt--3rd at Congress CP, training level CDE

3 in training

I also have my boarders 2 driving horses, 3 carts, and 4 harnesses here :)

Lucy- Are you sure that is ALL the carts? I just know the entire front and back porches were completely filled with carts, it was like going into a store show room with cars. was a site to see, kinda wanted to go shopping, but I didnt peek. too tempting.

Lucy- Are you sure that is ALL the carts? I just know the entire front and back porches were completely filled with carts, it was like going into a store show room with cars. was a site to see, kinda wanted to go shopping, but I didnt peek. too tempting.

Yup, that SHOULD be it. Front porch had my Jerald, the EE and the closed wheel Jerald. Back porch had the others...
default_wink.png
unless Jane's Jerald moved back into the house. Don't forget, though, yours stayed there for a few days, too!

Lucy

Wow I guess I'm just getting started.

Have 1 EE metal cart (unknown maker)

1 show cart (amish made)

1 Ozark basic leather show harness

1 ? show harness

1 stallion broke to drive

2 mares in training

1 soon to be gelding that will eventually be driven (he's not even 2 yr olds yet 'tech' he is but next winter he'll be broke to cart)

Back