Reality check: How many carts & harnesses do you own

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
RhineStone said:
That's about as bad as the seven saddles and ? bridles I have for one riding/driving horse! One saddle seat, three hunt seat (in different sizes), one Aussie, two different-sized western (used primarily for trail riding), and one dressage saddle. I told my husband that they all have different purposes...
default_rolleyes.gif
, just like Leia's carts! He is one hunter, and has...how many guns?
Wow, yep, that's a lot!
default_new_shocked.gif
I go for one saddle of each kind all right but draw the line at three of one and two of another for the same horse. Then again it's just me riding so once it fits the horse and I both we're done.
default_biggrin.png

Leia and all you others that are over run with carts, I have one thing to say - You're cart hoarders! LOL
Hey now, how is it hoarding when there are so many out there?!
default_biggrin.png
My problem with picking carts was that I knew exactly what I wanted, researched, bought, and then when the carts would get here they weren't what I thought I was getting.
default_doh.gif
Some people have very liberal definitions of "light" or "in good condition." It was really frustrating! I wished a thousand times I lived back East so I could drive out to Amish country and try them all out before buying. Harnesses were the same- I tried a Carriage House harness by Yonie before I bought my Camptown but hated it when it got here. At least after all these years of inquiring and buying and touching every harness I can get my hands on I know what I like, how to order it and who to buy it from.

The four carts I have now suit all my possible uses and the only thing I would do is exchange my closed-wheel show cart for an open-wheel model that would be more versatile. I very much want an Aerocrown but don't dare switch from my Minicrown to the lighter single-seater model if I plan on driving a tandem anytime soon. I need room for my navigator.
default_rolleyes.gif

Wow, I'll have to share this with my dad. He thinks I'm taking over his garage as it is, and I don't have nearly as much as everyone else
default_laugh.png
default_whistling.gif
My poor dad finally gave up and built me my own equipment shed a few months ago! It's not perfect (it's tiny and a bit dusty as it shares a wall with the shavings bin) but it's dry and out of the weather.
default_aktion033.gif
I don't know what your dad is complaining about, Jess- your garage is bigger than my whole barn!
default_new_shocked.gif
*LOL*

Last edited by a moderator:
Ginia said:
Now if you can clear up the mystery of the brass frame on the breastcollar this will be a REALLY good day inspite of the blowing snow outside.
Pictures?
default_smile.png

Leia

Edited: Ha, posted at the same time as Rhinestone!

Hey, I just want to say that I DID have a patent show harness I wasn't using (traded for a puppy last year) and I sold all my driving equipment for big horses a few years ago since I wasn't using it and someone else wanted to. So... well, you know, that means I'm entitled to "replace" those items even if I don't have an immediate intent to use them. Right? Right!
default_biggrin.png

So... well, you know, that means I'm entitled to "replace" those items even if I don't have an immediate intent to use them. Right? Right!
default_biggrin.png
Yes, of course you can replace them, but I would wait. By the time you have a use for them, maybe someone will come up with a new-fangled contraption that will make all our harness and cart lives better.
default_biggrin.png
I know that I have my list of things I would like to see improved....

I have a full size viceroy (mostly whole) and metal easy entry cart, plus a couple old big horse harnesses (1 nylon - yuck).

for the minis, 1 show harness, 1 work harness, several surcingles/bitting rigs. (want more work harnesses, team harness, sport harness!)
default_rolleyes.gif

2 Jeralds, one black with purple pinstripe, closed wheel for roadster, and one open wheel wood with green trim, with 2 sets of wheels (wood & wire).

1 wood with wood wheels Silver Penny road cart, and 1 metal easy entry cart.

Currently 2 minis that I can hitch & drive, with 2 more coming up learning to ground drive, and a bunch more waiting in the wings!

I guess that we're putting the carriage house before the carriage...

So far, we only have one (EE) cart, one (ugly but comfortable) harness, and one (nearly perfect) driving horse, but in the (hopefully) not-so-distant future we'll be building a carriage house to live in.

In the real world, it would be called a carriage house-style garage with overhead living quarters, but for us the garage portion will be foul-weather barn/3 season living space, with a separate music studio.

Here are a few plans we are considering:

I'm a sucker for Craftsman style homes:

http://www.architecturaldesigns.com/PlanDe...2d-9bd3010e8460

This one would be perfect for our hillside:

http://www.cadsmith.com/garage_plans/hill_...g3-2442hill.htm

This is a bit more practical:

http://details.coolhouseplans.com/details....9&sid=chp23

This one is pure Shakespearean fantasy:

http://www.architecturaldesigns.com/PlanDe...4f-9b0600cef69d

I'll post photos of the brass breastcollar "attachment" one of these days. I had to get a new computer and it won't accept my old photo program. I'm pretty much electronically challanged, and my 'puter guy has been busy and hasn't been able to get out here. How many of you have changed over to Windows 7. I think I might like it if it wasn't such a know-it-all, it just flat-out refuses to accept/do a lot of the things my old xp chugged right on thru without a problem. Probably just needs some of it's settings changed, but that's beyond the realm of my capabilities. Whenever I get a little assistance out here I'll get going with the camera and photo program again.

LOL. You people are insane!
default_new_rofl.gif

Leia, you win!

I have one harness, one green driving horse, and a cart that is far too big for him.
default_sad.png
It's currently up for sale so that I can buy something more suitable. I'll get there, one day.

We've got 2 EE carts--one Mini sized and one pony sized--and 2 Smart Carts. We have 3 harnesses--two custom fit carriage harnesses from Ozark and one Pleasure harness from Ozark--the pleasure harness has had some different parts added to make it fit our larger B's better--it now sports a longer browband, a longer belly band and new carriage harness breeching. Do have to buy a pony sized harness this spring, and would like to buy a Mini sized show harness as well.

Horses that drive--we have about 6, maybe 7, that we've driven so far, plus another 10 Minis that should be started this year, 1 Shetland to start this year, then 5 Minis to start once they are old enough, and another 4 ponies to start when they are old enough...with another pony or two to come in the future...we are going to be well supplied on driving horses and ponies anyway!

I have one easy entry cart, one horse driving, and two harnesses. The second harness is for the one in training. As soon as I can afford to I will replace that harness with a better one.

For some reason I have more halters than I can count
default_no.gif

Okay...I have an excuse as I have ponies and minis.
default_biggrin.png
(okay, maybe not an excuse)

-1 Graber show cart (mini size), 1 meadowbrook (mini size), 1 Jerald Road Cart (pony size), 1 Jerald show cart (pony size), 1 viceroy (pony size)

-2 lutke pony harnesses, 1 mini mose miller show harness

-2 mini work harnesses and 2 pony show harnesses

I did just sell an extra pony cart I had. So I guess I'm okay. But 2 driving ponies and 1 driving mini. And I have my eyes open for more carts! Its addicting!

Hmm, see, I'd call this a problem...BUT, on the other hand, the equipment only takes up space, it doesn't cost money/time to feed it and clean up after it! Glad to see I'm not the only one that has more carts and harnesses than horses.

Carts:

Mini sized-6

Horse sized-4

Total Carts: 10

Harnesses:

Mini sized-5, plus enough parts for at least three other harnesses (although maybe missing some pieces)

Horse sized-5, and a few additional parts

Total Harnesses: 10

Horses that drive:

Minis-4

Horses-2 (used to be 3, but one is permanently off the roster due to age--32)

Total Horses that drive: 6

Ironically, we have no pony (10-13/14 h) equipment.

Also, although we don't ride much anymore, I think we have somewhere between 8-10 saddles--several English (dressage, jumping, AP), a Western, and 2? Australian (good for trail) saddles.

gonna have 2 show Jeralds, 1 practice cart

and 5 harnesses-one for each horse!

What am I thinking- 5 driving horses - all by myself at a show. but I know I can!

No fair Breanna! A) You have enough driving stuff of your own that you don't get to include the horses and carts that stay with your mom, and B) you need to enumerate your mini stuff! I can think of three of the driving minis and suspect I know the fourth, and I can pin down four of your six mini carts but am wondering about the other two.
default_wacko.png

Leia

Thank you guys so much I just made my wish list from this...my minis have taken over the garage and the carriage house is being built!

Well, its a bit difficult to separate our stuff, because much of the equipment (that is mine outright) stays at home, but some of the stuff that she uses with Gabriel (full sized horse) is mine.

I guess, the stuff that is up at vet school with me is as follows: 2 mini carts, 3 mini harnesses (plus many parts!), and two minis.

The driving minis (actually all of the minis that we own) are: Fascination, Peekaboo, Dan, and Pippin. The mini carts are: Pacific cart, blue roadster, purple marathon roadster, Jerald Mini A (avatar), EE, and Pippin's ultra tiny and very cute roadster (made for a 26" mini). Except for the EE, I think they are all technically mine. The horse carts are: Pacific Training cart, Pacific marathon carriage (mine), EE (mine), and Glinkowski spider phaeton (presentation carriage).

Adds up to a lot of stuff no matter which way you look at it! And I still have a wish list of carts (and harnesses, and horses/ponies). :D

Latest posts

Back