Ready to foal questions

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

~Karen~

Reaction score
Ok. This is basically a new experience for me, and many of you here have had many experiences with foaling.

Since I don't know the date of conception due to previous owners carelessness, heck, I was under the impression that she wasn't even pregnant because of the previous owner until a couple weeks ago. SO, I am trying to get a close date anyways, to help take the edge off my apprehension just a little at least.

It was about 2 weeks ago that she was showing signs of her udder beginning to fill. Yesterday, I am pretty sure the baby has dropped. He hips appear to be a bit sunken in and her tail looks a little high (almost like a tee-pee??)She is very touchy now, doesn't want me to touch her any the udder area or tail area, it makes her antsey.

She seemed to have found a little energy yesterday when she ran down for feeding. I am guessing that with the baby dropping, it has caused her body to ease up and be a bit more comfy.

There isn't any signs of milk leaking at this time, and although you can see her udder hanging from behind, she still doesn't look to me as full as she could get. That is just my opinion though, and may not mean anything??)

I can't help but wonder how much longer even as a guess, that it will be?

Also, since I am expecting a little mule (since I am clueless, I didn't know that a mare and a donkey jack is what is considered a mule.) I appologize for my ignorance. It just hasn't been something I ever needed to know before.

But if the donkey jack is that mousy grey common color, and our little mare is black and white spotted pinto, will the baby be born the color of the jack or will it be spotted like the mare?

Mares *typically* begin bagging up 4-6 weeks prior to foaling, so you could have a baby soon! Of course, every mare/pregnancy is different.. Does she look like she is relaxing/elongating in the vulva? I have a mare whose 330 due date was the 8th of May.. She started bagging beginning of March, right now she's got a decent udder but it's not swollen tight, has been sunk in at the hips for about 2 weeks now, barely any tail resistance and her tail head is jello-ie, I could have swore she was in labor the other night the way she was acting but she's still holding out on us!

As for the mule question, I have no idea but I'm sure minimule on here would be able to answer! Hopefully she'll see this or you could send her a pm.. Would be sooooo cool if you got a pinto mule baby!
default_biggrin.png

Since she's not used to you "messing" with her "private areas"........This would be a good time to tie her once a day and give her scratches on her rear and belly. After awhile she'll actually enjoy it! You can also use that time to take a bucket of warm water with a bit of liquid soap added, and wipe her bag and her hind end. Be sure to get the wash cloth up inbetween her teats too.

Once she gets used to you touching her there, she'll be easier to check daily or twice daily. It gets to be important that you can do that. And being able to eventually get some milk from her teats is important too. Once you can do that, you can see how sticky it is when you dab some between your fingers.......You want it sticky!

From what you are describing, she could be as close as a week (or less) away! Every mare and every pregnancy can be a little different, but our girls start bagging about 3 to 4 weeks before.

default_saludando.gif
Hi Miniv & Lucky-C! Good to see you all around here :)

Thank you for the great information you've given me! I really appreciate it.

I've had several horses in my past, but only 1 to give birth and that was because I bought her and the owners never told me she was bred. She never showed any signs other than a "hay belly" Her milk didn't let down until she gave birth, and she never really looked pregnant (but then she was a fairly chunky little thang anyways. And never acted out of sorts. So I came home, and my gelding had a tiny little foal beside him and I swore that someone had put that baby in our pen untilI checked the mares tits. ) That was my experience.

Well, I will try tieing her and messing with her. I just wasn't sure about how much I should mess with her. Wish I was aware to be more ready for this at least. If we don't get her a yard built, she will be foaling in the pasture, and I really hope that doesn't happen, but can't do anything about it until this weekend unfortunatly.

It's funny to be reading about how impatient everyone is for their foals, and I am wanting to put a cork in it to stall her until I am ready... I haven't had to play the waiting like others. It's just funny to be on the other end of it.
default_new_shocked.gif

This isn't what you are asking, but I did read somewhere once that mares, especially first time mommas, may have a harder time accepting a mule baby.

No idea if this is true or not!

Just one more thing to be prepared for.

Ohhh my! Thanks for the heads up. This is her 1st. She is 4 yrs. old.

I hope that my preschoolrs and parents won't mind a baby in the yard if I must.

Latest posts

Back