Reading test results for my stallion

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cretahillsgal

Reaction score
Here are the results back from Animal Genetics.

Horse Name Tobiano LWO Red Factor Agouti

Lauralees Troublz Sweetn The Deal nT nn EE Aa

Here is Dealer:

dealer22.jpg

I know that the nT means that he is heterozygous for Tobiano, and that the nn means that he doesn't carry the gene for LWO. Where I get confused is the EE and Aa. I know that means that he is black based only and carries one copy for the agouti gene. But what will this mean as far as the color of foals that he can or cannot produce? Am I wrong or does this mean that he cannot produce sorrel or palomino foals? Only black, bay, buckskin, dun colored foals?
default_wacko.png

Sorry about all the questions! I am still learning all of the color/pattern genes and what they mean!

ok here goes:

Tobiano----> nT

Yep, means he's heterozygous and you'll have the 50/50 chance of producing a tobiano

LWO-----> nn

Yep, he's LWO negative and safe to cross with positive mares

Red Factor ----> EE

He's homozygous black, all of his resulting foals will be black based (black, bay brown, and then toss in your modifiers on top, so you can get buckskin, smokey black with the dilute gene, silver black, silver bays with the silver gene, perlino and smokey black cream with the cream gene etc etc)

Agouti-----> Aa

He's heterozygous for agouti, Black pigment distributed in point pattern. The horse can transmit either A or a to its offspring. The basic color of the horse will be bay or brown unless modified by other color modifying genes.

Hope I have those right!

Thanks! That is exactly what I was thinking, but I wanted to hear it from someone else just to make sure!
default_smile.png

Latest posts

Back