Reading AMHA Papers - Registration Numbers/Letters

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StardustandBreezysMom

Reaction score
I am fairly new to the miniature horse world. I happened to notice that my mini has different letters in her AMHA papers for different ancestors. For example, some of the ancestors have a letter A with their registration number and some have a T or TR - Does the letter with the registration number have any particular meaning? Thanks!

A is permanent papers, T is Temp papers, and TR is Temp revoked, I think!

edited to add: no, that's for AMHR papers- sorry!

Last edited by a moderator:
Here is the help page from the Studbook. It will probably help you understand any notations you question:

NAME Registered name of horse

You will notice several instances where names have been duplicated. If AMHA had registered a horse as Suzy Q, IMHR had a Suzy Q, and a horse was transferred from AMHR or EMHA by the name of Suzy Q, they all retained their original names. REG. NO AMHA Registration number

An unregistered horse or an unknown horse has no number and will be noted as UNREG.

A=Horses originally registered with the American Miniature Horse Association (AMHA); i.e., A 09041.

I=Horses Registered with The International Miniature Horse Registry (IMHA) which were added to the computer after consolidation of two Registries; i.e., I 00704.

R=Horses registered with the American Miniature Horse Registry (AMHR); i.e., R 00584.

These animals will be listed ONLY as sires and dams of registered horses. When AMHA was an "Open" registry, horses were accepted for registration with AMHR- registered parents and there numbers so recorded.

E=Horses Registered with Equuleus Miniature Horse Association (EMHA).

TR E - Horses transferred to AMHA from EMHA due to consolidation; i.e., TR E1987. FOAL DATE Date horse was born S SEX

S - Stallion

M - Mare

G - Gelding CL Color codes BT BLOOD TYPING

BT - Indicates the horse has been blood typed

PD - Parent qualified by DNA testing

PQ - Indicates the sire, dam, and foal have been blood typed and parentage has been qualified. ST STATUS

DC- Deceased

RV- Revoked

OV- Oversized

The certificates on any horse listed in this Studbook with heights in excess of 34 inches have been voided or are Foundation/Oversized and are designated as such. Horses with a status of "Revoked" were not brought to permanent status within the allocated time period. HT HEIGHT

In Inches

A temporary height or unknown height will be noted as 00.000.

Latest posts

Back