Read Any Good Books Lately?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jill

Aspiring Cowgirl
Reaction score
I thought it would be fun to check in and see what good books you all have been reading recently?

It's the first time in a LONG time I've really taken the time to read for fun (been doing so much studying, that I haven't felt like it though I do love to read). I've been able to block off a lot of personal time this summer from the office thanks to some good employees and many of my clients "busy" having fun too in the summer. So, it's been GREAT to finally enjoy some good books again.

What I've been doing is listening to audio recordings of the books. I love that even more than reading to myself and they are unabridged so not "missing" anything.

So far, I've mostly been catching up on my Stephen King, but have listened to another book as well... Here's what I've read the past 6wks or so, and I enjoyed each one:

• Cell, Stephen King
  • Heart Shaped Box, Joe Hill
  • Wolves of the Calla / Dark Tower V, Stephen King (this one I had nearly finished a long time ago and finally did finish it)
  • From a Buick 8, Stephen King (currently listening to it -- loving it!)
Got more SK on the shelf to hear -- Lisey's Story, Dark Tower VI and VII, Blaze and Duma Key. And, I have some Dean Koontz waiting in the wings as well... If this isn't heaven, it's pretty darn close!!!

[SIZE=18pt]What about you all? Read any good books lately?[/SIZE]
family_13.gif
book1.gif
books.gif
book3.gif
vacation8.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
I just finished the "Mitford" series. I love these books! The author is Jan Karon. She's great!

Now I'm starting on the "Miss Julia" books, (can't remember the author) but so far they've been good too.

I love the Miss Julia books!!! I've read 3 or 4. They're by Ann B. Ross. She reminds me of Fannie Flagg
default_yes.gif
default_yes.gif
default_yes.gif

I finally read Katherine Hepburn's book "Me" and I found it a really good read. NOT one of those tell alls , no simply the telling of her life and what a wonderful life it was, great childhood too.

Unpretentious, forthright just like her..I can tell you I don't read autobiographies but this was given to me by my aunt and i really enjoyed it!

Makes one wish you could spend some time on the shores of Sea-brook Conn. in the old days
default_yes.gif

Maxine

I'm reading World Without End , by Ken Follett. It's was written after Pillars of the Earth and takes place 200 years after that. Both are great reads. Highly recommended.

Magyk by Angie Sage. Thats the only one for fun, I have to pick a book for a book report due on the first day of school
default_wacko.png
default_no.gif

Right now I am reading...

lilian jackson braun, and her "Cat Who" mystery series.

A New York Times Bestseller James Qwilleran and his famous felines, Koko and Yum Yum, are back for another mystery-solving stint in the beloved bestselling Cat Who . . . series. While the town of Pickax is swept up in its sesquicentennial celebrations, Koko has developed a strange new hobby: He drops himself from balconies, occasionally landing in the oddest of places. When a young man comes to visit his wealthy relatives, Koko plummets straight onto his head! Meanwhile, a hurricane is brewing, and the visitor's family members soon fall deathly ill. Qwill has his work cut out for him as Pickax - as foreshadowed by Koko - is about to be hit by a bombshell.Lilian Jackson Braun lives in North Carolina.

http://books.google.com/books?id=_OAtAAAAC...4&ct=result

Before the Cat Who series.. I finished up reading

Anne McCaffery's Freedom series..... and few months ago.. Dragon Riders of Pern.

When the Catteni ships descended on earth it was one of the most terrifying experiences humankind had ever known. Kris Bjornsen, along with thousands of others, found herself herded by forcewhips into the hold of giant spaceships to be transported to the slave compounds of an alien planet. And even then it wasn't over. For, after a partially successful escape attempt, Kris was once more shipped across space - to an apparently empty and untamed planet. The Catteni just dumped an assorted load of humans and aliens on the strange world and left them to see what would happen.

Brilliantly the refugees began to organize themselves into a pattern of survival. The planet was eerie and not as empty as it seemed. For someone - something - had built giant storage barns - the planet was being used as a huge larder - for an entity they could not comprehend.

As Kris and her patrol set out to explore the enigmatic world she had yet another problem to contend with - the presence of Zainal, the high-ranking patrician Catteni who had been abandoned with the rest of them. Zainal was strong, brilliant, and . . . kind, and Kris was puzzled by this presence, his personality, and above all by the tenuous tie she felt towards this man - who was not a man but one of the hated Catteni

http://www.annemccaffrey.net/books/index.html

All these books are very good reads and highly recommend them.

Have read a lot more than these but don't want to bury folks!
default_biggrin.png

Oh and my grandaughter in medical school sent me this when I asked her.

"Jodi Picoult- Just finished My Sisters Keeper... OMG you have to read it gram."

"The Art of Racing in the Rain" by Garth Stein.

It was a very good book.

The rest are all geared towards training: "Don't Shoot the Dog!" by Karen Pryor, "Culture Clash" by Jean Donaldson, "Control Unleased" by Leslie McDevitt, "Clean Run" Agility magazine, etc.

"The Art of Racing in the Rain" by Garth Stein.

It was a very good book.
Yep, that was my summer read! VERY well written and VERY filled with emotion. I cried, I laughed, and I wanted to read until the end. It is about a dog, a family, and the art of racing an Indy car in the rain, all written from the dog's point of view. The words are easy to read, the meaning very profound. A must read and glad that I saw it in my local Starbucks store.

Oh and my grandaughter in medical school sent me this when I asked her."Jodi Picoult- Just finished My Sisters Keeper... OMG you have to read it gram."
Jodi Picoult is an amazing author! I finished My Sister's Keeper in two days...

Now I am reading Nineteen Minutes, also by Jodi Picoult...

It is about a school shooting...It is filled with emotion, and I have cried...I am almost done with it.

Rhett Butler's People by Donald McCaig Absolutely great book.

Kushiel's Mercy

It's the last book of Jacqueline Carey's second trilogy. Beautifully written.

Some that I've read lately are

Still Woman Enough by Loretta Lynn

90 Minutes in Heaven

Call Me Crazy (Audio version) by Ann Heche

A Change of Heart

Currently reading Hello From Heaven

I'm a Nora Roberts fan here. I just got thru reading the second book in the Sign of Seven Trilogy. The first book was called Blood Brothers (I think) and the second is The Hollow. I have to wait until December for the third one to come out.

[SIZE=18pt]What about you all? Read any good books lately?[/SIZE]
family_13.gif
book1.gif
books.gif
book3.gif
vacation8.gif

Nope.
default_biggrin.png

Give me some time........just AN HOUR a day! I'd DEVOUR a book!
default_wub.png

Lately been reading the books of Nelson DeMille. His books are very good. Such and intelligent and witty writer.

I am an avid book reader/listener. I particularly love the audio books set in other countries as the readers use the accents indigenous to the country. I can't read the dialogue with those accents when I read it for myself. The English, Cockney, Scottish, and Irish are my favorites.

There's nothing that will make the miles on a trip go more quickly than a good audio book.

I read a lot...too many to mention but Tami Hoag is a new author for me. Liked all of hers that I've read so far.

While we're on the subject of reading just thought I'd mention paperbackswap.com. I think LB is where I originally heard about it, so I'm fairly sure it's been discussed before but thought there may be readers on here that missed it at the time. It's a great site to "trade" the books we've read for ones we want to read. They not only list paper backs but hard backs, audio books and, I think, they also have CD's (may be wrong about that though).

Oh and my grandaughter in medical school sent me this when I asked her."Jodi Picoult- Just finished My Sisters Keeper... OMG you have to read it gram."
Jodi Picoult is an amazing author! I finished My Sister's Keeper in two days...

Now I am reading Nineteen Minutes, also by Jodi Picoult...

It is about a school shooting...It is filled with emotion, and I have cried...I am almost done with it.
Oh I LOVE Jodi Picoult's books! Nineteen Minutes and My Sister's Keeper were awesome! Just read those this spring as well as I Know This Much Is True (long, but good and really sad and depressing, although worth it!) and a few others. I also recently read The Pilot's Wife and The Weight Of Water. Love summer, I get to read all I want!
default_biggrin.png

Latest posts

Back