Read Any Good Books Lately?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jill

Aspiring Cowgirl
Reaction score
Have you all read any good, new books lately?

I've probably been spending too much time reading. Our own Matt tipped me off to Charlaine Harris' Sookie Stackhouse / Southern Vampire / True Blood series and I've now read all 10 of them. LOVED them. I read the Twilight series -- which I really didn't "want" to like, but did. Stephen King's Blaze, Duma Key, Lisey's Story, Cell, Under the Dome, and finished the Dark Tower series in the past year or so. Read several recent Dean Koontz including Your Heart Belongs to Me, By The Light of the Moon, One Door Away from Heaven, the Frankenstein Series, and Odd Thomas series.

What about you? What good books have you read recently? My favorite authors just aren't cranking them out quickly enough!!!

Let's hear about the good books you've recently read!

vacation8.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Its funny you posted this because I was just thinking that I need something new to start reading.

I just finished a real light hearted fun book

Wesley The Owl by Stacy O'Brien

Stacy adopted a 4 day old injured wild barn owl that, because of his injuries, could never be released back into the wild. Its a wonderful little book and Wesley is quite a character. She rescued him in 1984 and he lived ( in her home ) w/her until 2004 when he passed. Barn owls mate for life and he thought of Stacy as his mate. Their relationship is unbelievably funny!!

There was someone on here that posted, maybe 2 yrs. ago, I cant remember but they had a group of baby owls in their barn. Please if anyone remembers who that was I would love to send them this book. Or if anyone else finds owls neat little guys please let me know...this book is such a fun read. Please email me

Will be looking forward to seeing what others are reading

I just started to read "Cold Shoulder" by Lynda LaPlante. It was based on a true story, about a woman who has everything, and is a lieutenant with the Pasadena homicide squard. Her partner gets shot, and her life starts to unravel , she turns to drinking, including on the job, kills a innocent boy while on the job, loses her job, loses her hubby and kids, and ends up living as a prostitute. Thats as far as I am in the book. Its 400 pages and I am only on page 50, its the type of book that keep you suspended in a state of doubt.

LittleRibbie, the owl book your reading sounds like a cute and "fun" book to read.Going to look for that one. Thanks.

Hi, Just read a couple by Stieg Larsson. The first was The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo and the next was The Girl who Played with Fire.

Very good I can't wait until the next one comes out.

Debbie

Jill-on the Twilight series, LOL- I felt the same way!

I read We Bought a Zoo by Benjamin Mee interesting about a family in England that bought a broken down zoo and turned it around.

Chocolat- the book, a little different than the movie, but every bit as good! I picked it up at a used book store that just opened up here recently.

What Shamu Taught Me About Life, Love, and Marriage: Lessons for People from Animals and Their Trainers by Amy Sutherland- this one was great fun, applying animal training to people, some great respectful tips on handling situations. And I want to read Kicked, Bitten & Scratched by the same author, it actually came first.

Last a pricey, but well-worth it for me, the book A Girl and Five Brave Horses by Sonora Carver, I finally broke down and treated myself and bought a rare new copy for Amazon. It's what inspired the movie "Wild Hearts Can't Be Broken" I grew up watching the movie, one of my all time favorite horse movies, and the book was not disappointing at all. Loved it!

If you want a good laugh and a fictional character that will become a favorite, try Jim Butcher's Dresden Files. It was a t.v. show, but poorly done on t.v., but the books are just hysterical!! It is about 10 books long right now and several short stories. They are so funny, they've had me in tears.

It's about a wizard in Chicago in modern times and it is just impossible to describe and do justice to. Harry Dresden is just so obtuse!

When I worked at my local library, I discovered the "Bug Man" series by Tim Downs. This series is about forensic entomologist Nick Polchak, who uses his knowledge about insects and their habits to solve mysteries. Nick is not the usual dashing detective found in fiction; rather, he's a nerdy scientist with huge glasses. He has a quirky sense of humor, sometimes a big mouth
default_yes.gif
, and he just can't seem to stay out of trouble.

All of Tim Down's books (not just the "Bug Man" series) are well-written, fast paced, and have well-developed characters. And they are impossible to put down. And best of all, when I worked at the library, I knew I could recommend his books to ANYONE. They are a "clean read"--no cursing or sex scenes. At my library, Tim's books were categorized as "Religious" but they are not "preachy", either.

So take the time to grab up one of Tim's books the first chance you get--you won't be disappointed.

I just finished Water for Elephants, by Sara Gruen. I didn't think that it was as good as her Riding Lessons or her Flying Changes, but I still enjoyed it enough to finish it in two days. I just started Horse Heaven by Jane Smiley. It is epic-ly long. LOL So far, I am snagged! She is one of my favorite authors and I have been buying and reading what I can find by her at used book stores, at library sales, on eBay, etc.

I thought "Water for Elephants" was amazing! I cried at the end. If you think those other two titles are better than that one, I have to check them out. Thanks!

Horse Heaven is one of my all time faves. Epic for sure, but I've read it 4 or 5 times. Keep reading...it won't disappoint-and there is one very funny mini reference:)

I just finished Water for Elephants, by Sara Gruen. I didn't think that it was as good as her Riding Lessons or her Flying Changes, but I still enjoyed it enough to finish it in two days. I just started Horse Heaven by Jane Smiley. It is epic-ly long. LOL So far, I am snagged! She is one of my favorite authors and I have been buying and reading what I can find by her at used book stores, at library sales, on eBay, etc.

Ohh, I was going to suggest Riding Lessons! A friend gave me that book for Christmas, and I absolutely LOVED it! I went out and bought Flying Changes, which I didn't think was as good as Riding Lessons. I also bought Water for Elephants, but I haven't had a chance to get into it yet.

I'm usually not too keen on the horse-y books....

~kathryn

Very interesting ideas as far as new reading material! I'm particularly interested in the Dresden Files books!!! I love reading books about supernatural things, especially when there's also humor
smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif

Very interesting ideas as far as new reading material! I'm particularly interested in the Dresden Files books!!! I love reading books about supernatural things, especially when there's also humor
smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif

I hope you try the series Jill. It is so worth it! He has supplementary short stories to go with the series too. They are just as funny as the full length books.

Right now I am working my way through the Sisterhood series by Fern Michaels on audiobooks. I load them on my iTouch and listen during my work commute.

I am also going to load Edgar Sawtelle, and a book called 703 How I Lost More Than a Quarter Ton And Gained a Life by Nancy Makin.

My favorite authors are Janet Evanovich and JA Jance.

Janet Evanovich is great - her books are fast reads and keep you laughing.

It's hard to find good, well written "horsey" novels so I got on Amazon not long ago and did some searching. I read At Risk by Kit Ehrman, entertaining sort of whodunit set in a big show barn. He's written several others that I will try. Laura Crum is another horsey author, read one of hers years ago and hunted down another recently.

Jan

Oh, good news for the Janet Evanovich fans, Columbia Tri-Star has signed Katherine Heigl to play Stephanie Plum in an upcoming movie.

Personally, I always thought the perfect person for the role was Sandra Bullock, but I think Katherine will be good too.

The book Firebringer by David Clement-Davies is fantastic! Its has many similarities to Watership Down. Its about deer in Scotland. A prophecy and a psychotic dictator. Some really clever deer! I just loved it. Definitely one of my favorites.
default_aktion033.gif
:yeah
default_aktion033.gif
I wish they would make it into a movie. That and the James Gurney Dinotopia books...a good full feature film that actually follows the books - not the made for tv crap series they did years ago. Sigh...

I'm reading Boy's Life by Robert McCammon right now. I know it's supposed to be one of his best but I can't really get into it right now; it's not the book, I suspect, but me
default_rolleyes.gif
I have been restless and unfocused (I think I have a touch of A.D.D. that was never diagnosed). When I'm like that I find it hard to get through a book if it doesn't grab me right away. I think I need to meditate and quiet myself down
default_yes.gif

I've been reading the Jesse Stone books by Robert B. Parker. The fact that Tom Sellick plays Jesse in the made for TV movies certainly makes it enjoyable to put a face with a name. One of his movies was on last night but (IMO)it wasn't as good as past ones have been. Mr. Parker who unfortunately died recently was also the author of all the "Spencer" books - for those of you who remember that TV series with Robert Urich.

I just finished the newest Sookie Stackhouse book....just came out this month, I believe, (Dead In The Family).......so I won't give away any details.....pretty good though and a quick read.....makes me wish she had another one ready to release.....
default_sad.png

I also just finished up the latest Jen Lancaster book (she does memoirs..)..the latest is "My Fair Lazy".....her first book was "Bitter Is The New Black", followed by, "Bright Lights, Big *ss", then, "Such a Pretty Fat"....and then "Pretty in Plaid"....

I love sardonic humor, so I just cannot put her books down. Such interesting humor she has and it makes me laugh out loud. I know it is not "everyone's" type of humor, but I love real life situations and stories brought to life.

Husband just finished the Stieg Larson books, so I am starting with "The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo"......, I just have not got bit by that book yet, I keep hoping it will catch me soon, as I love, love, love to read.

Latest posts

Back