Reactions to Vaccines

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PintoPalLover

Reaction score
My two minis just got vaccinated this morning. They were fine till this afternoon , then I noticed Sugar shaking , and then Nollie shaking a little too. Now Sugar is acting a little droopy. Has anyone had their minis have these reactions to vaccines ? Any suggestions on what to do for them ? We called our vet but no answer or return call yet. They were give a 6 way vaccine and one for strangles. Thanks !!

Have you heard back from your vet yet? It's been over an hour since you posted that... How are they doing?

As to reactions - I have had many different reactions to vaccines - but not that particular one.

Mine don't typically get strangles vaccines. And I don't think I've done more than a 4 way (only mosquito born virus(s) & tetanus. I don't give the flu/rhino at the same time - even when showing) since 1997. My reasoning is in the other post - http://www.miniaturehorsetalk.com/index.php/topic/138026-vaccines/ post #4.

Last edited by a moderator:
Was the strangles vaccine an IM injection or the intranasal type? I haven't had a reaction in a very long time, last time was when I still gave strangles as I was boarding, it was a strong local reaction at the injection site (IM shot).

Keep watching them, take their temperature and watch their vitals. Hope your vet gets back with you soon.

Thank you for replying paintponylvr & chandab !!!!! Our vet did get back with us and said that it is probably just their reaction to the pain, she said bannamine might help. Sugar is doing a lot better now, she still keeps her head down low and will rest sightly against the stall wall but seems to be doing pretty well. Nollie is shaking on and off a little still , appears to be in more pain than Suggie. They both are eating okay. I forgot to mention, we blanketed them and that seemed to help some. The strangles vaccine was intranasal.

One of mine had the same reaction this year. I am pretty sure it was from the Strangles vaccine. He has had the vaccine for the last 5+ years and has never had a reaction to it before. He was shaking and kept his head down and his rear tucked in. His eyes were dripping discharge all the way down to his nose. He was eating fine so that was good. The vet had me give him a little Banamine and he was much better the next day. It was scary!

It was interesting talking to people and finding out how many do not vaccinate for Strangles. I will probably do it again next year but space it apart from the 6-way.

Hope yours are doing better now.

I don't know much about the strangles vaccine as I have never given it. Are those vaccines live or killed, is it usual to make them sick? I am not a fan of giving 4-way and 6-way combos either, especially with younger stock.. Since I have a closed herd now I only give mosquito borne vaccines and tetanus. When I was showing I gave flu/rhino. In the early days sometimes my horses had site reactions, and discussions with my vet about it had me change to another manufacter. He said those reactions were mostly caused by the adjunct in the vaccine and the change stopped that. Hope your horses are better now.

How are your guys today?

I have had ones have reactions but more along the lines of being lethargic and unable to get their heads down to eat because of muscle soreness at the injection site, it would last maybe 36 hours and banamine would help. I did have one gelding who would get so stiff all over that he could barely move. After that happened to him a couple of times we separated the vaccinations by about three weeks, giving rabies and then the four way at a later date. We would preload this particular pony with banamine before his vaccination and that would help too.

Hope everyone is on the upswing this afternoon.

Thanks for replying everyone , I do appreciate it ! They are definitely doing better today. Sugar ate most of her grain , Nollie ate her usual amount, they're eating hay fine and drinking fine. Sugar laid down in the sunshine, too. I was a little baffled when they started shaking, I didn't think it was a normal reaction to shots.

I don't actually know what kind of strangles vaccine it was (live or killed). I haven't ever done vaccines before so I was planning on just kind of going with what our vet said to do. I'll do my best to keep everybody updated on how the girls are doing . Thank you again !!

The only time I've ever seen shaking is when a vaccine was accidentally administered to the blood stream. Not that I think that's what happened here just saying that's the only time I've seen it.

Glad they are doing better
default_smile.png

Latest posts

Back