Reaching out to other local mini owners

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wingnut

Reaction score
I was driving to pick up my husband from work on Thursday (his truck had broken down). Along the way, I saw two different homes/farms with miniature horses. Not a lot but 2 or three each. I've noticed for some time that there are quite a few minis in our county, just based based on where I drive not to mention the areas I never get to.

I'm considering putting up flyers in various places like our libraries, the feed mill stores in our county (there's one that has multiple locations), grocery stores, TSC, etc., where ever I might be allowed. The idea being to connect with fellow miniature horse owners in my "backyard" so to speak. I belong to a great miniature horse club but most of the members are at least 2 counties away and a minimum hour's drive and more. It would be nice to have some local contacts. It would also be nice to try to form some kind of formal club if I could get enough interest.

Am I crazy to even consider this? Would it be a waste of time you think? What would you do if you ran across such a flyer? Have any of you tried something similar?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts on this matter.

I think you have a great idea.In the late 1980s I started a Miniature horse club(Delmarva Miniature Horse Club)and we are still going strong.I knew a few people who had Minis-they knew people I didn't know and I asked my vet.I made some phone calls and visits and set up a meeting at my house.it grew from there.Most horse people love to talk about their animals so even ask your feed store,hay supplier, farrier etc.You will be surprised how many Minis are out there near you.

Thanks Bevann...your story is one I hope to be able to tell in a few years
default_smile.png

I think it is worth a try and wish you much success! Our only experience with this was when we were recruiting members for our 4-H Club in late 2011. We put up flyers in the grocery stores, post office, library, etc. but the most effective was a little blurb in our local free weekly "Reminder". Of course, rules for 4-H Clubs are probably different, but our piece was free.

We live in a VERY horsey area - there are minis at two different places just up the road from me, and at least couple more in town. In our area, I doubt that feed stores would work, because I think most of us get our feed delivered (free). There are also TWO Tractor Supply stores within a few miles - one in each direction. One suggestion would be to spread the word through vets and/or farriers in your area. They are bound to know who has minis and having someone that knows you might help, rather than just reading a posted flyer. Also, be patient!!! It took us months to recruit enough members for our 4-H Club, but now we have a waiting list along with all the original members. And all except the newest member use our minis, so we weren't looking for mini owners.

Good idea! I don't know anyone in the area with mini horses, let alone those who show little ones. But good luck to you! =)

I thinks its a awesome ideal! If I run across anything mini related, I AWLAYS LOOK!!!

I am a mini farrier, and I always talk about the Michigan clubs and fun shows to everyone. I work at TSC and get the word out a lot there as well.

I defently dont think its a waste of time at all.

Wish you we near me! The only clubs i know of are manu hours drive away. With 2 young children, just makes that almost impossible. Lol

Have you asked any of the officers (secretary, president, etc.) of your club for a list of members? I know some clubs make a list of their members and their contact information available to club members (my local club does and I know of two others that do, for sure). You may find contact information (name, telephone, e-mail address, etc.) for people in your area that are a member of your club but just don't make it to any/many of the meetings. I only go to two or three (or less!
default_whistling.gif
) of our club meetings a year. Also, one of the registries (was it AMHR?) used to have a list of members by state on their website. I was able to use it to track down someone about an incomplete registration application. Just a suggestion...

If I saw a flyer at my feed/farm store(s) I might contact the person if it was well done and worded right. I think it is a great idea.

I found out about our club when someone pulled up to the house on the farm and left a note with their name and telephone number on it saying something like, "Hey, you should join our Miniature Horse club!" I did call.

Latest posts

Back