re-starting a green stallion

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RobinRTrueJoy

Reaction score
My stallion was trained to drive last year. He has beautiful movement, a great attitiude, took to it like a duck to water, didn't mind traffic or anything.He learned really fast and actually seemd to enjoy it.He seemed to like having a job.We both enjoyed driving very much.

My problem is: I had major surgery on my shoulder several months ago, had a very long recovery. Its about as good as it is going to get.

My boy has not been driven at all since before my surgery. I have no help to assist me, and truthfully, I am a bit nervous about getting in the cart. I am as green as my stallion is.

How do I get him started again, working alone,safely?

Thanks

Robin

If he has had good basic training, then all he should need is perhaps a few days of ground driving, then long-lined with a drag perhaps. After a few more days of that...he should be ready to be hitched again with no problems. Many horses sit and stand for the winter, and once the basics are on them, it doesn't take much to get them going again...even the greenies.

Better yet, I would talk to the trainer and see exactly what she did just prior to his being put to for the first time...and go back to that stage for a week or so.

If you can't get someone to work him for you, then I'd go back to the groundwork. Drive him in long lines until you ( and maybe he) feel more secure in what he'll do. Then the first cart time should be with a second person around for safetly sake and drive him inside an arena, large round pen, some fenced area. Anyway it should be where you and he feel safe and comfortable. Taking him out in the open or to a "new" place needs to wait until you're both - not green!

Back