Re: mane taming

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OhHorsePee

Reaction score
Ok, looked for mane tamer for her. Called ahead to this one place and they said they had one that would fit anysize mini (??). I wandered how that could be but I went to check it out. Pulled it out of the package and then thought " what the hey is this?" It was huge! She said it looks like someone took out the mini and put a reg yearlings in there. Of course, I haven't a tater in my brain that would know if it was or wasn't. Do they come in one size fits all for minis?

Someone told me that I could braid her mane and it will lay that way. Is this true? Would it just cause it to break? If this is a way to do it do I condition it first? I've been combing and brushing. Combing and brushing it more. And it goes "BOING" right back up. At least she has body in her hair. LOL

Please help!

Fran

Yep it works. Just braid.

A trick from the Q.H. showing days braid a heavy washer in to hold it down.

I have pintos with white markings on their left sides and no markings on their right so I'm turning my left flops to right flops, to spread that color around.

Last edited by a moderator:
They do make mini mane tamers, but my guess is you will have to order one. Ozark Mountain sells them, and you can find their website online. Or, you can make several braids, only braided part of the way down, but only do this if your horse doesn't rub its mane. Take the braids out every now and then.

Haven't noticed her rubbing her mane at all.

Thank you guys

Fran

One more to agree with braids.....make sure they are loose then they are less likely to itch......I also often would spray the mane with some light oil then braid in rags (kinda like doing up a tail) the rags add weight and help protect the hair. Another thing if you are trying for a really long flowing mane DO NOT BRUSH only finger pick and gently comb....brushing actually breaks the hairs thus shortening the mane making it more prone to standing straight up........my preference is to take the braids down and redo at least every 7-10 days........If it is too poofy I like to flop it to the off side and pull the under hair (similar to undercutting with clippers but less drastic).......

I was a groom for many years in Arab barns and the horses manes and tails were treated better than I was
wink.gif
rolleyes.gif
biggrin.gif

You should see me trying to braid her! Ron says "quit honey. She doesn't like that." I say "shut up!" Then Ron says " what are you doing to her? She's not happy." Then I say " shut up!" LOL Every time he would talk she would squirm. Then he always says something about when she rolls in the dirt (just rolling like they normally do). "She is all dirty. Don't let her get any scars from anything. Don't let her put her this. Don't let her that." He is so funny! I finally had to tell him to go pick poo or do something. He started mowing. I don't think the pick fits his hands. LOL Such a weiner.

Fran

Sometimes if we just have a problem with a mane staying down or on one side we won't braid just make small pony tails and band them with Goodie rubbers near the top takes about a week and they lay flat and stay on the side you want and lots faster to do then braiding all the time.

We have had several with really wild "stand-up" manes. I've never tried the braiding, guess I'm too afraid they would get it caught on something.

For showing, we wash, rinse twice, you can use a conditioner, too. Then Show Sheen the mane, put on a mini "hoodie"(like the spandex), available from a number of miniature suppliers. Leave the hoodie on overnight or even into the next day. When you remove it............the mane will lie flat against the neck and really stay tame.

Here's the links to the suppliers:

Supreme Equine Design

Schneider Sadderly

http://www.minitack.com/shop.htm'>Ozark Mountain Tack

Along with the rest of the ideas, there is always hair gel that can be used. I like the idea of braiding with a rag in there but soak the rag in a good hair conditioner and it will also help control and condition. Mary

I'm with Loess Hills....the slinkies help if the horse has really raging mane.

I have found this to work well, especially on those younsters with the fuzz....

Wash well, at damp dry stage, soak that mane with Mane & Tail brand conditioner. Soak it! Use a comb with large fingers and swipe through it to get it untangled. Let it drip dry.....yep, the conditioner will be dripping off. Mine have either laid very nicely after this or needed only a 2nd treatment or a slinky for a day. Now, it's gonna feel a little heavy for a day or two after drying, let it!. The next time you wash it, you normally have no problems and can use a normal amount of conditioner.

Another product that has been a really good thing for these foal manes that have the look of having had their hooves in a light socket
laugh.gif
is a product called "911". You can get it at any beauty supply, normally...sometimes WM also.

It is a conditioner for frizzies and really gets that fine hair under control with nice results.

I have pintos with white markings on their left sides and no markings on their right so I'm turning my left flops to right flops, to spread that color around.

465789[/snapback]

I have wondered if there is a right/wrong side for the mane to lie on for shows?

I have had minis with manes laying to both the left and right sides. Is there actually a "correct" side or is it just a matter of preference?

Oh, you guys are all great! Isn't there a saying for thier manes of "the RIGHT side is the RIGHT side?"

Fran

Latest posts

Back