Razoring

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maestoso

Reaction score
How do you accomplish it without the horse freaking out or cutting up their face? How do you keep them calm? My yearling likes being razored about as much as he likes having his ears clipped, but at least I can twitch him for those. If I twitch him, I can't exactly get the razoring done. I have typically sedated him for this, but I am sure not everyone does it this way, and am interested in other effective methods.

Just as a disclaimer, please don't turn this into a debate on weather we should razor our horses or not, or how cruel you think it is or whatever else, that's not the point of this thread. If you don't like it, please just ignore the thread, or start a new thread addressing your concern.

I've never much had one that didn't like it, I have had some fidgety ones and I usually avoid doing weanlings unless they are reasonably calm.

What I'd do is stand and hold his head and rub it, let him calm down and make sure there's lots of water and shaving cream, and just go slowly, do a little at a time, talk to him and be patient.

Make sure before you start that he's had PLENTY to eat (a hungry horse is generally a lot more cranky and fidgety) as well as well-exercised.

I just don't know what else to tell you other than take it in short stages. Start with the very coarse hairs along the front of the lips and go from there.

It might help also to have another person there to help calm and soothe him, maybe groom his neck and body to take his mind off the razoring.

Good luck!

Liz M.

Don't know how others do it, but this is what works for me.....

A bucket of water, a rag, good disposable razors (name brand not cheapos), shaving gel. I sit in a chair with everything close at hand. I try to keep from holding the horse too tight by the lead and generally have the lead under my foot. I have not had any problems so far with any of the horses I have done and I clip for hire. The gel seems to work better IMO, to help the razor glide over the muzzle without any cuts (or few). Also, before I start I use a 50 blade to get the hair as close as I can. If your horse will not let you razor, you might just want to use a 50 and let that be enough. Hope that helps.

I'm not great at it yet, but my horses love to have it done. I wonder with a foal who doesn't like it, if you can just practice with a razor with the guard/cap really slowly until they realize it feels good?

What I've done is after clipping close with a 40/50 on the areas to be razored is lather up really good with baby shampoo and use disposable double blade razors.

Practice at home and make sure your water is warm. You don't have to use a razor at home, just something close that you can just run over their muzzle. I think those cream products have flat razor shaped things in them to remove the cream. DO NOT FOR ANY REASON EVER USE NEAT OR OTHER PRODUCT OF THIS TYPE ON A HORSE. Why is that in all caps, that stuff will burn a horse and no we didn't try it, someone we know did and burned the inside of the nostrils because it was hard to get out. Anyway back to the question. The main thing is make sure your water is warm. This seems to calming for them. Go slow and pretty soon they will sleep while you razor them. Ours do.

My horses typically don't mind either, only issue we have is nose wriggling LOL. I think the warm water is the most important thing - it softens the hair and makes the whole process easier. Not always available on the show grounds but you can buy a bucket warmer element for those times. You also don't need to use a lot of pressure. Change razors often if you need to, dull blades do more harm than good.

As to Neet, Nair, etc - I tried it ONCE. Experimented on a small area at home and it worked beautifully so I did a muzzle at the show......apparently I left it on slightly longer (still not as long as the directions called for) and the poor guy blistered. I have never felt so badly - he wore Neosporin on his nose the rest of the weekend instead of oil. Never again.

Jan

Last edited by a moderator:
As stated before try it on a full belly. I like to do afternoons when mine would really like to be napping. Then they just stand and doze in the cross ties while I clip or whatever - - I've even cleaned sheaths this way.

there are really close blades out there for your clippers like - 50, 80 and a 0000. they work pretty good, but I do not have the horses razored until Nats and World and I have a professional do it for me, she never leaves a nick and is excellent.

just thru the grapevine, I heard something could be coming down the line for AMHR, since the ponies ruled it out. something about the board or a committee could have a special meeting without a member vote and pass it to be ruled out too for the minis. like I said, just thru the grapevine. so no rude comments please- just something I heard at the Area VI show. hummmmmmmmmm

Practice, practice, practice! I like the idea of using the razor guard to start with the little ones though. I'll have to remember that one.

And just think! It could always be worse! You could have a gelding that LICKS the razor! :DOH!

Latest posts

Back