Razoring the pink skinned mini..

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yankee Doodle Dandy

Reaction score
This is to all the show people out there-

I just bought a new mini. He is mostly white, and he has a pink nose (with one spot on it) and two pink skinned eyes with eyeliner. I am hesitant to razor it for show.. Will it look weird? I don't see too many razored pink skinned horses, especially on their eyes. Can you guys post pictures of what it looks like? Would I just be safer close-clipping instead?

In my honest opinion...I hate the razored look on pink skinned animals. I would just clip clean instead. I also dislike it when people over grease the skin with pink or black "makeup" I just think it looks weird. There was a good tutorial on how to do faces in one of the magazines not too long ago...I think it was Miniature Horse World, I did save it so I'll have to check.

In my honest opinion...I hate the razored look on pink skinned animals. I would just clip clean instead. I also dislike it when people over grease the skin with pink or black "makeup" I just think it looks weird. There was a good tutorial on how to do faces in one of the magazines not too long ago...I think it was Miniature Horse World, I did save it so I'll have to check.
I razor my minis that have black skin and it looks amazing! Makes them stand out.. Look more araby and showy, it looks really good. I agree, I thought razoring a pink skinned mini may look weird, just wanted thoughts. And to see pictures of some razored.. I can't find a picture.

I do not like razoring pink skinned animals, looks gross IMO
default_smile.png
. I have cremellos and some loud pintos and I just blend with 30 and 40 blades around their muzzle and a little around the eyes. If only a small amount of pink in a snip or something but still mostly dark skinned muzzles I would still razor but not if majority is pink. First pic he had some blending but the other two were just strictly done in 15 blades. I have not found it to affect how they show to not razor, Rem (first pic) ONLY got blended for nationals but he still consistently won classes with no blending and just solid 15 clip and HOF'd in Halter so I definitely do not see it necessary to do any razoring :D

dsc_1207 cr 4x6.jpg

IMG_1431resized.jpg

IMG_5026edit.JPG

This is my boys face. Figured it might look a little creepy.. Just wanted to see pics of other ones razored before I made a decision. Theres probably a reason why I can't find a picture of a razored pink skinned mini LOL!

received_919476378174819.jpegreceived_919476381508152.jpeg

I've seen it done if they have like snips or blazes and it really depends on how it looks on some but at all honesty not worth it, especially if they live outside. They could easliy get sunburned even if clipped with a 30. On my pali blazed face mare the most I do with her is a 40.

I've seen it done if they have like snips or blazes and it really depends on how it looks on some but at all honesty not worth it, especially if they live outside. They could easliy get sunburned even if clipped with a 30. On my pali blazed face mare the most I do with her is a 40.
Yeah I've only seen ones with snips or blazes done, not minis with fully pink noses and eyes. I think I'm just going to clip his muzzle/eyes with a 40.

Billy Idol is razored, at least for the ads and to be 100% totally honest it makes his head look way out of proportion to the rest of him. Kind of turning a silk purse into a... Well, I can't say it because it isn't nice. Some horses look ok but others? Yuck.

Billy Idol is razored, at least for the ads and to be 100% totally honest it makes his head look way out of proportion to the rest of him. Kind of turning a silk purse into a... Well, I can't say it because it isn't nice. Some horses look ok but others? Yuck.
I'll have to look at one of his ads.

I looked at his ad, and I actually kind of like how he looks razored. Its not that bad. I might have to try it on my boy, if only once, at a local show or something to see how it looks on him. One of my clipper friends said she would razor him. Maybe the spot on his muzzle and his eyeliner will make him look better razored... who knows. Glad you mentioned Billy Idol, though. He's the only mini I've been able to find that is pink skinned and razored!

I showed minis for 20 years, one horse with a pink face (see avatar) I never razored, only close cut, I would use highlighter on the muzzle and over eyes, won 6 grands 10 reserves in very large classes, won the amha champion award and not razoring did not make a difference in his placings. Another horse, winning 5 grands 11 reserves, supreme, amha champion award, same thing.

I used to show and win in grooming and conditioning before they discontinued that class, and the criteria was the horse should look naturally beautiful without obvious over enhancing that gives a false impression, that your grooming brings out the best impression of the animal.

Be careful of razoring, careful blending of the the close cut into the regular cut, no sharp line demarcation, can look natural and more like the look large horses have on their muzzles.

Several judges have remarked that they don't like razoring. In one of the latest magazines there is an article about that, can't recall which issue, but has their opinions about this and other things in showing..

I thought you all would enjoy this. While bathing my appy stallion this am, I noticed that his muzzle looked like it had been razored! I don't razor, and after seeing his muzzle that naked, doubt I ever would. I then noticed that my other appy stallion's muzzle appeared to be razored! None of my other horses have this appearance. Very strange. If anyone wants to know what a mottled appy muzzle looks like, here it is!

WP_20160715_08_49_57_Pro.jpg

WP_20160715_08_52_32_Pro.jpg

Latest posts

Back