razoring appys

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

orin

Reaction score
For those of you who razor your horses. What do you do with your appaloosas? Do you razor or not?

I dont own appys here but a farm not far from me has them and they do rasor theirs.

Her farm name is Pleasent View Miniatures.

Take a look at her site to see her show horses.

I dont razor my appies, I think it gives them a bit too pink of a nose, just like I dont like to razor a pinto with a lot of white on its muzzle. Just a personal preference and it has never seemed to hurt any of my horses in the show ring.

It really depends on the horse, their color, and how much mottling they have. And, how much you want to bring out the Appy. Got a pic of the horse's head?

I razored mine the few times I did show, but they did not have mottling on their heads. Melinda (Maple Hollow) does a fantastic job on her pintaloosa stallion. I think she has a close up head shot of him on her website too from a show that you could look at.

We decided that between the pink and the mottling that was a nasty "look". I just use a really tight clip 40 or 50 blade.

This is Kitty razored.

Mini-Halter Under 242.JPG

Kitty, J.R and Edward

get resized.jpg

Ace

Mini Color 119 (640x427).jpg

That's cool. I think he would look awful razored but wanted to check what you guys do.

Well you could try it at home and see what you like best. It's hair- it will quickly grow back if you dont like it razored.

I was also told that when you razor an appy it does make more mottling appear. So if you don't want the mottling more defined then I would not razor.

I was told this by a big breeder (Joanne Ross, Scott Creek Miniatures).

Depends on the face. Those with a lot of dark skin can carry the look but you'd never touch my guy with a razor! In fact he is just clipped in a 10.

Special2sml.jpg

Latest posts

Back