Raven's Thread: Updated video at 1 month page 78

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just got these pics from Heather. Thank you Heather and Shannon!!!

They are casual shots and Raven has gained a lot of weight in her neck, but DANG, she's still got IT!!! (Yes, I'm partial).

Do you guys think his back legs will straighten? He's 8 days old now.

raven20120401a.jpg

raven20120401b.jpg

raven20120401c.jpg

raven20120401d.jpg

Last edited:
all I can say is WOW!!!! they are both absoloutly beautiful!!!!! I can't believe how gorgeous he is already!!!

with regards to his legs I think they will be fine, I am no expert but My colt was quite down in the fetlocks and he has straightened up fully now you wouldn't even know... I can post some pics of the difference if you would like.

Have you thought of a name yet?

He was kind of squinting from the bright sun...so we plan to reshoot. I honestly feel his legs will be fine as they strengthen. He is outside now 24/7 with a large inside stall for shelter as they choose. I have seen some horrible legs that have straightened out just fine. I hate that you are worried, but I undrrstand too.

Raven was a great subject..she is very photogenic. She looks great as a new mom. Lol

WOW Raven is posing for the cam
default_new_shocked.gif
she looks amazing and she has just had a baby
default_thumbup.gif
Parmela she is just so beautiful and look at that wonderful shiney coat that is coming through. Now as for this little baby, my oh my he is just like his mummy, FAB, FAB, FABULOUS. I am no expert but I would think that it is way too early to worry about straight legs yet.

Thanks for sharing the pics
default_cheekkiss.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
WOW!! What a gorgeous pair. Raven is just stunning and he too has 'the look'!
default_yes.gif

Cant see any reason to worry about his legs Parmela - he will be just fine!

Just stunning Parmela.

I agree and think he will be just fine too. He is still just a wee baby and so pretty. He is a leggy wee thing so it takes time to catch up with them.

Raven is a true beauty though and is looking amazing.

Thank you all. I just LOVE Raven. I'm in awe of her and so humbled she has let me ride the coat-tails of her awesome life.
default_worshippy.gif
Because of her I've made friends I never would have had the pleasure to meet and I got to share in the joy of her first foal with hundreds of folks that were pulling for her and just as excited as I was. Due to her size and her show record, there were people who were very interested in how she'd do at foaling and were very supportive of my decision to breed her. I got so many kind messages and emails...it was a wonderful experience that I will never forget.

As for Lil Bit (his name until I can come up with the real one), I've been stressing over his legs a bit. I realize many are saying he's fine, don't worry about it, etc., but I've never personally had one that didn't straighten up within the first 24-48 hours. So for his back legs to still be so wonky at 8 days old, is new to me and a bit scary. When I watch him on cam, it's like there's just too much leg. I know that's not possible, but it's like they just don't know which way to go!lol Almost like his back legs are too long for the front. Does that even make sense?

I'm guessing that there wasn't a lot of room inside momma, so those legs spent a lot of time all curled up. I did have one mare (a 29" experienced broodmare) have a foal in 2010 that had one front foot turned under at the fetlock. It was probably like that the whole time he was developing and it had fused in place. The vet thought it was due to the tiny space inside the mother. I'm thankful this little boy didn't have anything like that, but I sure wish his back legs didn't look so sickle hocked. I will hope that you all are right and he will eventually grow out of it.

Thanks again for looking at their pics. I'm SO pleased with how Raven's body seems to have come back so quickly. If she were home, I'd have a neck sweat on her!lol I can see from where the halter is across her poll that it's a soft "baby" fat on her neck and not a real crest. I'm very thankful for that. It's so tempting to put her back in the ring. Must.. Resist... Must... Resist... LOL I'm buying a house, I can't afford to show horses this year!lol

Last edited:
You're right, Raven still 'HAS IT!!' She's beautiful, even as a mommy! And LilBit is beautiful as well! Look at his beautiful head!

You my colt from last yr Buck was so gangly I never thought he would learn to use those legs and it took wks for him to straighten up. He is 9mths old now and perfect

wow congrats. Very nice foal and Raven looks Great :)The photos are great. I wish I had someone to take good photos for me like that.

WOW Parmela he is just gorgeous, and he and Raven make quite the "mare and foal"!!!! I can't help but be reminded of when it was YOU with the mare and foal and ME hundreds of miles away...... LOL - now you know how I felt! And if you remember what Taffy's legs looked like when she was born? Her legs are absolutely perfect now and actually have been since she arrived here at about 4 weeks of age.

Thanks for asking Cassie!

I'm trying really hard to not bother Heather since Raven has foaled and she has so many other horses to care for. But the good news is that I'm going to visit on the 29th!!!!! SO EXCITED!!! And Shannon, Heather's daughter, happens to be a SUPERB photographer and she's agreed to do a shoot of Raven and Lil Bit before they leave for FL!!! I will def post those!!!

default_thumbup.gif
How exciting, I bet you are so happy. Give them both lots of hugs from us
default_yes.gif

SUCH a beautiful mare and colt! I bet his legs are fine...just seems the refined ones are a bit spindly at first.

What's in FL???
default_smile.png

Thank you all!

Charlotte, I sure hope you're right about his legs. I've not seen him lately, and as I said I don't bother Heather if I don't have to, so seeing him person (he'll be almost 5 weeks old at that point) I'm hoping will be good for me and I can stop worrying about his legs!

Raven and Lil Bit are heading to Summerfield, FL so Raven can be bred to First Knights Breakin All The Rules, owned by Emily Conder. Rules is, from my research, the sire of at least 16 WC or RWC titles, in 2007 he was in the top five of Futirity Sires and maybe most known for siring Billy Idol, Miss Ocala and Exception To The Rules. Emily has a very nice set up and Raven and Lil Bit will have their own shelter with attached dry lot. She'll be hand bred. Rules is 2.75" shorter than Velvet (although he doesn't look it), so it should be an interesting combo.

default_yes.gif
me too, make sure you give the other half instructions to snap shots all day
default_thumbup.gif

Oh how exciting! Will they be coming home to you after Raven has been covered?

And yes LOADS of pictures please - including one of your happy face when you first get to talk to your very special little man!
default_yes.gif

Latest posts

Back