Raven's Thread: Updated video at 1 month page 78

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Three cheers for the Keebler Elf
default_new_rofl.gif
Ditto!!!

Something I'm finding very interesting about watching Raven now that she has a baby....

Although I always tease about Raven being a Diva, she's actully so far from that. Most of the time I've always heard a successful show horse has to have "it" or some "fire" or be a bit hot. Well, Raven is far from hot!lol She's actually very laid back, easy-going, doesn't move too quickly, doesn't get too excited over anything. She is kind of bomb-proof even though nobody ever consciously tried to make her that way. Loud noises don't bother her, she's never been one to spook or trample you if something unexpected happens. She's fearless in that nothing seems new to her. The first time she came in the house, nothing bothered her. Not the TV, not the difference in floor textures from one room to the next, negotiating the furniture didn't phase her, nothing. The first time she saw steps, she looked at them, sniffed them and then promptly walked right up like she'd been doing it for years. Same with going down steps...doesn't phase her. She'll get in any trailer, go to Petsmart, go to a nursing home or go in the show ring. It's all the same to her. She loves people and never met a stranger. Just no fear. When she was at Jon and Wade's, they couldn't get over how people-oriented she is. Jon said in all his years of being around minis, he's never met one with a personality like hers. That's my Raven!

But what she isn't is aggressive. In the pasture she gets the stink beat out of her by the other horses. She never looks for trouble and knows to avoid it. She never fights back, just goes on her way. She always lets the other horses eat first and let's them bully her into being on the bottom of the pecking order.

So, now to see her so protective of that baby is just amazing! To see her rush the fence when he wanders over toward the other horses is so surprising. Once of my biggest fears about breeding her, behind if she could foal of course, was what would she be like when it came to protecting the baby? I guess I didn't need to worry! She seems to have taken to it like it was what she was meant to do!

Isn't nature amazing?

Yes Parmela, nature is amazing. My Choctaw will get bullied by other mares. They will chase her away from feed and hay. But she is such a herd animal she would rather be picked on than ever be alone. She is bomb proof as far as bathing, grooming, farrier, trailering, vet, etc. She does not even need a halter to be led from point A to point B. I can just loosely put a lead rope around her neck only and she moves with me. Oooogh, but when she has a baby she becomes a saber toothed tiger to other horses (some more than others) for a couple of weeks and then she gets over it and wants all to see and love her pretty baby. Then she gets totally open to offers for free babysitting from horsey aunts, people, and guard dogs.
default_whistling.gif

OMG! He is cracking me up! I don't know if anyone has been watching the last few minutes, but he is ALL boy! He's trying to kick the @#$@# out of momma...and she just ignores him...and he's running around the stall so fast, he throws himself over! His legs are so long, he doesn't know what to do with them. I have a feeling he's going to be a handful.

ETA: And I love when he finally exhausts himself and he just collapses in place like someone pulled the rug out from under him!

Last edited:
Thanks Cassie! I haven't had a foal since 2010 and it's hard not being able to hug on the little bit.
default_sad.png

2.20 am Little bit is playing with mum's bucket
default_smile.png
Parmela you need to hurry up and name him
default_whistling.gif
until then I think Little Bit is perfect.
default_yes.gif

I so miss not having them on their own cam, I could sit and watch them for hours which I am sure would delight my family so probably not a good idea
default_new_rofl.gif

Parmela I would like to thank you for letting us watch your adorable girl through this exciting and a little frightening journey, it has been lots of fun. I am hoping so much that you stay and become an official member of the "nutty nursery". We have seen many mares and owners come and go but I would be sad to see you disappear.

Hugs from afar

Renee

p.s can you convince Heather to take some more pics
default_smokesmile.gif

I cant wait to hear what you are going to call him. Spindles springs to mind
default_new_rofl.gif

Oh and I 2nd Renee - we need more pics

Hey Parmela how about an update? How is the little one doing? Any chance of some pics?
default_smile.png

Hello ladies!

I know I need to update more. I think I'm going through a weird period with this foal of not know what to do with him and not wanting to get attached, hence no name yet, if I don't know if I'm keeping him. It's been a real roller coaster of an experience. Knowing she can do it was such a HUGE relief, getting a colt was just what I wanted...so why am I am so "blah" feeling??? Maybe I just have too much else going on. Oh well, enough of that. You didn't ask for my life story!Lol

Yes, an update is well overdue. I do have more pics at home that Heather took off a video I think. Don't quote me on that!!

I did get the pics saved to my computer. For some reason, the pics I get from Heather and my computer just don't mix!LOL It's like one doesn't understand the other. Oh well, computers.

I will post them to the thread tonight.

Here are some pics ladies. These are from about 72 hours old I believe.

raven2012colt72hoursold1.png

raven2012colt72hoursold3.png

raven2012colt72hoursold5.png

raven2012colt72hoursold6.png

raven2012colt72hoursold7.png

oh he is so lovely! so tiny and refined!!

I totally understand how you must be feeling Parmela!! not being able to go and lay your hands on the gorgeous little guy must be near torture!!

but having Heather look after him would be so comforting for you!

I really hope you are able to see him shortly!!

glad he is doing well
default_smile.png

Oh he is just so cute, good looking too!!

I would wait until you get to meet him in person Parmela before you make any decisions about his future
default_yes.gif

Oh Parmela he is just Fabulous, those long refined legs and dishy head not to mention those adorable little ears. I think I am in love
default_wub.png

What you are feeling is totally normal so don't worry.You worried for 11 long months whether you had made the right decision and prayed that it wouldn't all go wrong, then as she was finally on cam the excitement that she had nearly made it together with the fear of the birth caused an intense adrenalin rush. So now that he is safely here and you have had time to relax it is possible that you feel a bit down. I have had this happen but after about 2 weeks when the mares finely beg me to babysit I fall in love with the babies all over again. Just you wait until you get to cuddle that adorable little bundle of fluff and you will protect him with your claws out
default_smile.png
Sorry I am rambling, it has been a long day.

All I mean is please don't make any decisions just yet, give yourself time.

Hugs my friend

Renee

Latest posts

Back