Raven @ 175 days

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
S

StarRidgeAcres

I miss being a part of this daily journey with Raven and her first foal, but Heather at Marestare has been totally AWESOME to work with!
default_aktion033.gif
She doesn't get mad at my constant questions, worries, paranoia, etc.
default_wacko.png
She puts up with me and is so kind in the process. Everytime I start worrying again..."is she still in foal?" "are her feet too long?" "is she getting along ok with the other mares?" Heather calmly answers my questions and then will surprise me with a few candid shots!
default_yes.gif

So after another one of my "worry" emails, I got these photos. No brushing, no primping, just candid shots of Ravey having a snack while out with the other girls. Thanks Heather; you are AWESOME!
default_wub.png

Without further delay, here is Raven Beauty, 2006 A/R mare, 27.5-28" tall, 3X World/National Champion, maiden mare bred to multi World GRAND Champion producing stallion, Little Kings Black Velvet, the best-producing son (based on my research) of Buckeroo.

Looks like a baby belly to me! What do you all think?

Note: for any beginner wondering about breeding a small mare, please note that there are no guarantees with any size mare. I tried to give Ravey the best chance possible by having her ultrasounded and internally and externally examined PRIOR to making the decision to breed her. All clinical signs pointed to no known issues with her reproductive system or the size of her internally or her birthing canal. Still, I wanted to increase her odds of success, so I decided to send her to a professional foaling farm, Heather and the gang at Marestare, to foal her out. They have access to lots of experience, vets close at hand, and the eyes of all of us who will be watching via Ravey's cam when the time gets closer. And then after all of that, we still pray!
default_yes.gif

raven175days1.jpg

raven175days2.jpg

Last edited:
She's a BEAUTY! And that Velvet foal should be AWESOME!!!

default_wub.png
default_wub.png
default_wub.png

How exciting for you Parmela! I'll try to watch when she's on Marestare. That will be one tinyfoal!!

Pam

She looks fantastic and she is in wonderful hands! This sounds to be an awesome cross...I can't wait to watch!
default_new_multi.gif
Thanks for sharing.
default_smile.png

How exciting for you. She certainly looks preggy doesn't she. Love Black Velvet and the baby will go back to some of the great Komoko breeding, which I asked about in another post.

Keep us posted.

Lizzie

Oh, I know you have heard me rant on before about Little Kings Black Velvet being the most beautiful of Buckaroos sons, Love him to death, envey you and green with jeolousy. I have one of his grand sons, looks like him, love, love, love him and his foals. Can't wait for your foal and to see the pictures, but I'm sure you will brag, and have a right too. When is the foal due? If Heather has her, I'm sure she will be on Mare Stare, please put her on the forum for us to watch. Thanks for the udate!

My stallion is in my avatar.

Last edited by a moderator:
She sure does look bred.
default_laugh.png
I can't imagine how excited you must be. Little Kings Black Velvet is so pretty and so is your Raven.
default_wub.png

aktion033.gif
how exciting
risa8.gif
If only they didn't make us wait for soooooo long
closedeyes.gif

This is going to be one gorgeous baby
wub.gif

Aaah, don't we worry over our little mares? We have a 27 3/4" maiden who will foal late Jan early Feb. She is so ROUND! But her mom and full sisters had excellent foaling histories so I'm planning on the same for Daniela.

Let us know when Raven goes on cam. I'd like to watch the arrival of your new treasure.
default_smile.png
(assuming my mares cooperate and I can keep my eyes open at that time)

Raven is one gorgeous girl!!!

I can share your excitement as our Eighteen Candles is bred to Black Velvet as well for 2012. So Raven and Candles were pasture friends while visiting Velvet
default_aktion033.gif

That ought to be a super nice baby!

I'll be showing a filly next year who is out of Rubicon's dam. Hope she is as successful in the show ring as Raven!

Aaah, don't we worry over our little mares? We have a 27 3/4" maiden who will foal late Jan early Feb. She is so ROUND! But her mom and full sisters had excellent foaling histories so I'm planning on the same for Daniela.

Let us know when Raven goes on cam. I'd like to watch the arrival of your new treasure.
default_smile.png
(assuming my mares cooperate and I can keep my eyes open at that time)
How exciting! Will keep my fingers & toes crossed for a smooooooth foaling.

Oh, I know you have heard me rant on before about Little Kings Black Velvet being the most beautiful of Buckaroos sons, Love him to death, envey you and green with jeolousy. I have one of his grand sons, looks like him, love, love, love him and his foals. Can't wait for your foal and to see the pictures, but I'm sure you will brag, and have a right too. When is the foal due? If Heather has her, I'm sure she will be on Mare Stare, please put her on the forum for us to watch. Thanks for the udate!

My stallion is in my avatar.
Hi Terry, Your boy is gorgeous, but you know I think that because I've told you before!
default_yes.gif
default_wub.png
I'm hoping that Velvet adds some refinement to the qualities I love about Raven. We'll see.

Yay there's your baby! Hope for a safe and joyous foaling!
Thanks Kim. That is the goal...safe and joyous!

Raven is one gorgeous girl!!!

I can share your excitement as our Eighteen Candles is bred to Black Velvet as well for 2012. So Raven and Candles were pasture friends while visiting Velvet
default_aktion033.gif
Congratulations on your mare and how fun that they were pasture mates. Please keep us updated on her progress.

That ought to be a super nice baby!

I'll be showing a filly next year who is out of Rubicon's dam. Hope she is as successful in the show ring as Raven!
Thanks Becky! And good luck to you next year with your filly. The pedigree of Rubicon and Raven reads like a who's who so although nothing is guaranteed, they sure have the foundation to start with.

One of the very first pieces of advice I was given when I bought my first mini was from Dixi at Knee High Acres. I remember how she was just filling me with all these nuggets of information I could handle. I was taking notes and writing as fast as I could, but something that stuck out was this: Breed only the best to the best ... and then hope for the best!
default_yes.gif
I know that saying has been around for a while, but it's just so true. Why would we ever waste our time, money and risk the health and life of the horses in our charge for anything less than the best? It's just not worth it IMO.

For those that asked, by my calculations, Ravey will be at 300 days on March 4th, 2012. 320 days at March 24th. She will be on live cam as we get closer to March. I'll be sure and let everyone know as it will be a public cam unless something dictates otherwise.

Thanks again everyone.

Latest posts

Back