Ration Balancer? Vitamins?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cayuse

MHT Supporter
MHT Supporter
Reaction score
I was wondering if someone could help me with a feeding question. I have a twelve year old gelding, who tapes at 320 pounds. He is approx 35 inches. Vet thinks he is not overweight by much, but he does have a "pot belly" which he is slowly losing since I acquired him. He is on one measuring cup of Poulin Equipride morning and nite along with his hay. The vet reccomended I switch to a ration balancer as he would get more benefit nutritionally from it.

Does anyone have a specific one they like, or any suggestions?

I would also be open to feeding him a vitamin and a bit of timothy pellets, any thoughts on that? Actually, I would rather feed Tim pellets if I could.

So how does everyone make sure there little'uns get their vitamins?

Thanks!

I use a ration balancer to balance my grass hay and pasture. The ration balancer provides vit/min and protein lacking in the grass hay. I feed a regional brand, as it's easy to get, my minis get 1 cup per day (1/3#), my minis are mostly the same size as yours or a little bit bigger. I've used the Progressive Nutrition Grass Advantage, really liked it, but they finally raised the price out of my budget for the number of horses I have. I also like the Triple Crown TC-30; something similar would be the Triple Crown Lite (it would be fed at a slightly higher rate than the ration balancers.

I believe in a mineral/vitamin supplement. Even if a horse has a wide range of forage to browse, he will benefit from a supplement. If you ask 50 horse folk what they recommend, you will likely get 50 different answers! A lot depends on where you live, what is available, whether you show, or individual health issues.

I use Dynamite. I've been using it for about 10 years. There are probably just as good/better supplements but I've been satisfied with it so I stick with it. It has to be purchased through a distributor.

My horses have very good pasture so I choose the supplement that is a pasture ration. My area has natural selenium, so I choose the supplement without selenium. I try to just keep it simple.

Thanks guys! I have gotten about fifty different answers! I can get Triple Crown 30 so maybe I will give that a try. The one consistent answer has been that he should get a vit/min supp of some sort, so I will do that.

I will look into the Dynamite supp, but I don't think we have it in this area.

I worry about the little guy as he is my first mini. I come from the land of big ponies :) the other two in the barn being a welsh and a POA. He is just so teeny to me, I guess I can't help but worry!

The Triple Crown Lite is also a good choice for minis, it has a lower protein level than the TC-30, so some feel better about using it. If I remember it comes out to about 1-2 cups daily for a mini depending on the mini's size.

You might also your poulin dealer about MVP ( mineral vitamin pellet) that's what I have my mini's on, I also feed 1/2 cup twice a day.

Latest posts

Back