Raising cattle...

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crabby-Chicken

Reaction score
I have been talking to some of you all along about this experience. It has been kinda fun, kinda sad but rewarding. If anyone is thinking of raising their own beef, I would recommend it.

This is our freezer after picking up the cut and wrapped beef. We are set for the winter!
198651_460920147285917_501292208_n.jpg

When we have a steer processed, the meat usually lasts us a whole year, sometimes longer depending on how much chicken we buy. [Hubby is allergic to pork, and I don't really care for it, so we don't eat it.]

My husband bought a quarter of a beef from a friend's small herd. It's all gone except one roast and 6 lbs. of ground beef! I think we better get a half next year! They are pasture grass fed and no hormones, etc. and good hay. YUM! Definitely tasted different from the grocery stores!

I would never be able to raise my own cattle to eat-can't even eat our chickens/ducks and I really don't even like them lol. I so wish I could! BUT, my grandparents get their beef from grass fed cows that our neighbors raise and it is AMAZING. It has ruined other beef for me....all I can eat now. I'll be buying local, grass fed beef only from now on.

They have another neighbor who raises bison. Mmm is that GOOD! This coming from me who rarely eats meat and has contemplated going vegetarian more than once.

Last edited by a moderator:
So, is that a whole cow? I'm thinking about purchasing some grass fed beef but there are only two of us and I don't want that much. I was sorta thinking a quarter of it would probably be enough for us for a year. I would raise it myself as I have plenty of pasture BUT I'd give it a name and make it a pet and then it would die of old age and hubby would have to bury it out back. (I know my limitations!) So I would have to buy one without seeing it alive and well.

So, is that a whole cow? I'm thinking about purchasing some grass fed beef but there are only two of us and I don't want that much. I was sorta thinking a quarter of it would probably be enough for us for a year. I would raise it myself as I have plenty of pasture BUT I'd give it a name and make it a pet and then it would die of old age and hubby would have to bury it out back. (I know my limitations!) So I would have to buy one without seeing it alive and well.
For two, if you want enough for a whole year, I'd probably buy half; plus that way you get all the cuts available. My in-laws go through tons of beef, primarily for just the two of them (they do have company occassionally), and they can go through a whole steer in less than year, lots of it hamburger (I prefer the other cuts).

Keep in mind for those that want to raise their own, what they weigh on the hoof and then hanging weight is a lot different! Usually a good sized beef will get you a few hundred pounds of meat though. Nothing like home grown!!

Latest posts

Back