Raising a foal the first week

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Binky

Reaction score
Hi all, we have our first Falabella blend foal delivered to us at six months old at the end of September. She will be upset after leaving her mom so wondered what is the best thing to do in those early days to help her feel secure and bond with us? Are there any good YouTube videos worth looking at that support kindly ways?

Do you have other mini's? Spending a lot of time with her will be good but she needs to have company with her 24/7, if you don't have any others for her to live with you should get a companion for her. Another mini foal or young mini.

I brought my Breezy boy home at 3.5-4 months of age. He had already been weaned from his mom and was playing with other babies his age. Once I got him home he had other horses to play with. I could only put him out with little Thunder for the first few months, my other 2 were just way to rough with him. Now he is 17 months, they are all 4 out together, they all get along beautifully and Breezy is thriving. I agree with Taz, she will definitely need some company. She will probably be very upset if left alone. She will need to be taught how to be a well behaved horse. Do you have any other horses or animals?

Do you have other mini's? Spending a lot of time with her will be good but she needs to have company with her 24/7, if you don't have any others for her to live with you should get a companion for her. Another mini foal or young mini.
We will be getting another mini shortly

I brought my Breezy boy home at 3.5-4 months of age. He had already been weaned from his mom and was playing with other babies his age. Once I got him home he had other horses to play with. I could only put him out with little Thunder for the first few months, my other 2 were just way to rough with him. Now he is 17 months, they are all 4 out together, they all get along beautifully and Breezy is thriving. I agree with Taz, she will definitely need some company. She will probably be very upset if left alone. She will need to be taught how to be a well behaved horse. Do you have any other horses or animals?
We have an old Lurcher dog and another mini on the way but was advised to get her settled first so she bonds with us rather than bonding with another the same age. Do u have any tips on how to teach her to be well behaved?

In my experience if you only have 2 horses they will bond to each other deeply. I don’t think it will matter how long she is the “only child” for because as soon as you introduce another they will probably bond rather quickly. So IMO I wouldn’t wait too long to get the second, she needs company and you’ll love watching them interact and play together. It is so much fun!

I agree with Dragon Hill. Even though a behavior might be cute right now, they will grow up and be an adult soon, so they have to have rules and manners. No nibbling on me, no biting me, no kicking me, no pawing at me, no pushy behavior just to name a few.

Is that her in your avatar? If so, what a cutie!💕💕

I like to tell people don't let your baby do anything you don't want them to do as adults. At this age, pushing them away (and verbalizing if you choose) and then leaving them alone for a little while if they don't stop the behavior.
Thanks for the heads up.

In my experience if you only have 2 horses they will bond to each other deeply. I don’t think it will matter how long she is the “only child” for because as soon as you introduce another they will probably bond rather quickly. So IMO I wouldn’t wait too long to get the second, she needs company and you’ll love watching them interact and play together. It is so much fun!

I agree with Dragon Hill. Even though a behavior might be cute right now, they will grow up and be an adult soon, so they have to have rules and manners. No nibbling on me, no biting me, no kicking me, no pawing at me, no pushy behavior just to name a few.

Is that her in your avatar? If so, what a cutie!💕💕
Thanks for the advise. She's a pinto palomino in colour. Just loosing her baby fur.

Here's another baby behavior I hadn't experienced until last evening....Going UNDER you, between the legs. I'm short so this wasn't much fun. Jasper tried this while I was talking to someone and almost toppled me over...goofy boy! Won't want to encourage this game because he's going to get bigger and I really don't think he wants me riding him! Hopefully he won't try this trick again any time soon as it really wasn't the best experience for either of us... LOL. Hoping your little filly isn't quite as adventurous! (and another reason to have at least 2 animals together--they can play).

Hi all, we have our first Falabella blend foal delivered to us at six months old at the end of September. She will be upset after leaving her mom so wondered what is the best thing to do in those early days to help her feel secure and bond with us? Are there any good YouTube videos worth looking at that support kindly ways?
This is the second pony to go with Binky

Attachments

• received_1596067387404061.jpeg
    received_1596067387404061.jpeg
    533.4 KB · Views: 4
Hello! My horse is a house-horse, so things might be different, but for me I got a baby blanket to wipe all over mom to bring her scent home with my Sodapop when she came home. Maybe the breeder would be willing to send home a rag with her mothers scent on it? It seemed to comfort her a bit. I also avoided horse noises from my computer (I have a cowboy game, and watch horse training videos all the time lol), as hearing other horses sent her into an excited panicky state looking for friends that weren't really there. I wish I had known how TINY she would be- even now at over 4 months, I had to punch five extra holes into her foal halter to get it to fit, and before she fit into that I needed to make her rope halters. She is 23 inches, barely. Also sort out the Ferrier before she gets there, and have them ready to come double-check her hooves if they seem off at all.

Also, something I learned from the breeder, is never to let go of their hooves when they pull them away; once they learn they're stronger than you, you'll have issues. Sodapop tried a few times, before deciding she preferred having her hooves worked on and getting treats for letting me pick them up/set them back down.

I always cut her treats up. And never ever give them round treats like apples or grapes whole was a tip I got; they can choke on them.

I also kept her company 24/7, slept in the front room with her, had to lay on the floor so she would lay down and go to sleep. Until the other foal gets there, I'd suggest doing the same, they need that company especially as babies. We are extremely close, and spend almost all of our time together.

Latest posts

Back