Rainy Day...

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drivin*me*buggy

Reaction score
Today it has been raining on & off but Banner persuaded me to take him out for some work anyway.

I can not wait to hitch him up this year, he has really improved a lot this year.
default_biggrin.png
Anyway on to the pictures, comments and advice is welcomed.
default_yes.gif

First is my brother helping me get ready. He loves to help.
default_wub.png

317808672.jpg

Then we're all ready. & we head off.

317808680.jpg

Here are some working shots.

317810360.jpg

317810356.jpg

317810352.jpg

4 IMO this shows how far he is in his training. I couldn't ask for much more in this picture.
default_risa8.gif

317810340.jpg

317808688.jpg

6 Another good working shot.
default_smile.png

317808678.jpg

7 trying a little extention, he's not so sure he wants to lower that moose head of his,
default_wacko.png

317808676.jpg

& here's two head shots of my handsome man.
default_wub.png

317810344.jpg

317810467.jpg

hope you enjoy!

Ashley
default_saludando.gif

Those are great Ashley! I especially love this photo:

317810344.jpg

Banner looks very good but you aren't going to be able to get any sort of extension or lengthenings from him until he learns to elevate the root of his neck and engage his hindquarters. You can see from the way he's gaping his mouth that he hasn't yet truly accepted contact. Keep your hands very elastic during transitions and encourage him to do an awful lot of reaching down at both a walk and trot. You need to create an urge to stretch by shortening his stride then allow him to reach down after the bit. As he gains strength he'll gradually hold himself higher and higher until he's back in the frame you have now but with much more engagement.

I love the pic with your brother, he's absolutely adorable! I'd assumed you were an only child for some reason.
default_wink.png

Leia

Are you in your PJ'S??? Giggle giggle. Don't worry, I'm always in mine!

he's gorgeous and you look like you are doing a great job there.

Those are great Ashley! I especially love this photo:

317810344.jpg

Banner looks very good but you aren't going to be able to get any sort of extension or lengthenings from him until he learns to elevate the root of his neck and engage his hindquarters. You can see from the way he's gaping his mouth that he hasn't yet truly accepted contact. Keep your hands very elastic during transitions and encourage him to do an awful lot of reaching down at both a walk and trot. You need to create an urge to stretch by shortening his stride then allow him to reach down after the bit. As he gains strength he'll gradually hold himself higher and higher until he's back in the frame you have now but with much more engagement.

I love the pic with your brother, he's absolutely adorable! I'd assumed you were an only child for some reason.
default_wink.png

Leia
Thanks Leia! I'll definently try what you've suggested. I really don't know why he was chewing so much yesturday, normally he has a very quiet mouth & he was accepting the bit quite well yesturday dispite the chewing. (agh does that make sense?!
default_wacko.png
) but thank you & I can't wait to try what you just said.
default_yes.gif

Are you in your PJ'S??? Giggle giggle. Don't worry, I'm always in mine!

he's gorgeous and you look like you are doing a great job there.
hahaha yes i'm in my PJ's. & thanks!
default_biggrin.png

He looks like he is doing wonderful
default_smile.png
default_yes.gif
thank you!

minidonkeyny said:
Thanks Leia! I'll definently try what you've suggested. I really don't know why he was chewing so much yesturday, normally he has a very quiet mouth & he was accepting the bit quite well yesturday dispite the chewing. (agh does that make sense?!
default_wacko.png
) but thank you & I can't wait to try what you just said.
default_yes.gif
I get what you mean but at the same time chewing the bit is different and does not involve opening the mouth. Trust me, Kody does both and I get an awful lot of pictures of him doing just what Banner is...and it's NOT chewing!
default_rolleyes.gif
:DOH! It's resistance, or at least a lack of acceptance. I refused to put a flash noseband on him as my trainer recommended a couple of years ago because I figured he was trying to tell me something and I was right. He hated the bit I had him in and got much better when I switched to one he was comfortable with. Then it was my hands and I've spent the last two years working on those. Just this week I finally made a breakthrough and his mouth suddenly quieted down considerably but he still fusses occasionally out of what I'm beginning to think is now a knee-jerk reaction to me picking up contact. My trainer suggested a flash again and this time I may try it as I think at this point it's more a habit than anything else and I'm now sensitive enough (I hope!) to know when I'm being too rough. It doesn't look like Banner is objecting to anything particularly but more like he hasn't figured out yet that your hands are there to help him and guide him into a better way of moving. When he's truly accepting contact he'll be making soft chewing motions with his mouth closed and pursuing the bit downwards when you release contact, sort of "chewing the reins out of your hands." Right now, like Kody three years ago, he hasn't learned that there's a better way to use his body so he's just going along and getting annoyed when he runs into your hands.

Don't worry, he'll get there! Banner's a darling and you've got him well-started.
default_aktion033.gif
He just needs more time under harness and more understanding of what you're asking him for. (In other words, his only problem is that he's GREEN!!
default_biggrin.png
default_laugh.png
And that one is easily curable with more of what you're already doing.
default_wink.png
)

He's a cutie and he's already come a long way with you. I look forward to seeing more pictures as you progress! I swear the journey is 3/4 of the fun.

Leia

default_biggrin.png
Thank you Leia I definently agree that he needs a ton more work.
default_laugh.png
& I just love working with him. Last night he wasn't at his best due to me having stomache pains
default_sad.png
& i think he really picked up on it.

I'll def post more pics of him [hopefully] improving later.

thank you very much for your advice
default_yes.gif
default_wub.png

Ashley

Latest posts

Back