Rainrot!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bunnylady

Reaction score
A few days ago, I suddenly realized that Blondie has a bunch of scabs under her winter fuzz. They aren't in patches, it's more of a random lump here and there. I found a few on Syd, too, and have come to the conclusion that it must be rainrot. They seem already to be shedding off, and the skin underneath looks dry and clean. I'm embarrassed to say that I had no idea this was happening - they have never had this happen before! I've never seen them soak through when in their winter fuzzies; it had seemed that they shed rain almost like a sheep does!

As near as I can figure, this must have started when we got all that rain back at the end of September (according to our rain gauge, we got something in excess of 30" over the course of four days). My question is, what do I do now? We're into a pattern of 60-ish days and 40-ish nights, so I don't think medicated shampoo is the answer (wouldn't keeping them dry be better?). Any suggestions?

A few days ago, I suddenly realized that Blondie has a bunch of scabs under her winter fuzz. They aren't in patches, it's more of a random lump here and there. I found a few on Syd, too, and have come to the conclusion that it must be rainrot. They seem already to be shedding off, and the skin underneath looks dry and clean. I'm embarrassed to say that I had no idea this was happening - they have never had this happen before! I've never seen them soak through when in their winter fuzzies; it had seemed that they shed rain almost like a sheep does!

As near as I can figure, this must have started when we got all that rain back at the end of September (according to our rain gauge, we got something in excess of 30" over the course of four days). My question is, what do I do now? We're into a pattern of 60-ish days and 40-ish nights, so I don't think medicated shampoo is the answer (wouldn't keeping them dry be better?). Any suggestions?
I heard that Tea Tree oil works wonders. i was told to put a few drops in water and use a sponge or towel to put it on the scabs, the next day the scabs are gone but if there are any left i do it again! i've only done this one time and it worked it wasnt a bad case of rain rot but if it looks to bad go to vet and get

prescribed antibiotics and organic iodine to be taken. I hope this helps

Last edited by a moderator:
In order to treat rain rot, you should begin by using a soap to remove the crust caused by the scabs. You should also break up the scabs and remove them. This is painful for the horse, so it might take several sessions over the course of a few days for all of the scabs to be removed. Be sure to wear gloves while treating a horse. Removing the scabs from the horse is important because it allows oxygen to get to the infected areas. Because the organism that causes rain rot in a horse thrives in carbon dioxide heavy areas, this will help clear up the outbreak.

The scabs should be removed while bathing the horse daily for seven days with either iodine shampoo, chlorohexidine shampoo or benzoyl peroxide.

here is ingredients that also helps.

6 ounces of liquid Ivory dish soap

3 ounces of Iodine - (10% Povidone-Iodine Solution.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by a moderator:
We had a horse a few years back with bad rain rot and a friend recommended using this stuff called Lyme Dip. Just applied it either diluted or directly (have forgotten) to the horse and rubbed it in good. Didn't rinse. It did the trick BUT that stuff stinks SO BAD! Wear gloves if you use it. I skipped that part of the advice and was happy I didn't have any client appointments for a few days because it really lingered.

I use Listerine 'original' on any small spots that look like rain rot developing. I picked up a small spray bottle at the Dollar Store and just squirt it on the areas that seem affected. In fact I will do this if I see my horses begin rubbing any area before I can feel any bumps and so far it seems to stop the itchies quickly and heal any skin condition that is developing. I've heard of some people using the over the counter athletes foot spray too, I think it would work well in some cases but I have not tried it myself.

To remove the scabs you need to soak them with something- whether it's the oil or iodine shampoo & water- they need to be soften to get them off. If you decide to use the shampoo and the spots you are treating aren't too large then you might try a blow dryer set on low to dry out the hair if you're worried about the wet hair. Lots of sunshine is good but with their hair so long it will have a hard time getting thru to the troubled area.

If it is rainrot, that's caused by a ( organism is not a fungus, but it behaves like both bacteria and fungi)and I have successfully used Lotrimin spray (which is a people treatment for athlete's foot). It has the medication needed and alcohol for drying. Try to get it down to the skin.

Point is it thrives in humdity and low air flow so anything you can do to keep the skin dry, clean, and open to oxygen.

Small areas- full strength 10% provodine iodine (at drug stores and the like). Put on the spots once daily for 10 days- don't wash off.

Large body areas- you may need Griseofulvin- oral medication (from the vet).

Fungason is a really good spray product sold by jeffers too. I have the same stupid weather here. You have a small window of opportunity to do the quickest bath you can following any of the above instructions and you need to be super fast so you don't end up with one sick horse. Then get him right in. Once you get him medicated, keep him out of the weather. He should not have gotten the nasties all that fast so chances are, your guy is one of those that is going to be prone to it. Then you need to keep up with your grooming. Use one of those rubber oval brushes and press down with it and keep the horse groomed well. Then use a mist of full strength Listerne around him especially his legs a few times a week. Best wishes.
default_biggrin.png

Depends on if the rain rot is bacterial or fungal...atheletes foot spray or cream works well on the fungal type, easy to apply too!! May need an antibiotic cream or systemic antibiotics for the bacterial version.

Latest posts

Back