rain sheet

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tara

Reaction score
Does anyone know where I can get a waterproof, breathable rain sheet for my mini? I don't want a blanket as she has grown a great winter coat, but want to keep her dry if it rains as it takes her a long time to dry when ahe gets wet, as her coat is so long and thick. Any help is really appreciated. Thanks!

I like that one, Lisa, but my concern with it is instead of coming up over the withers it is cutback there which just lets the rain run right down inside!
default_wacko.png
The winter rains here are all-day, heavy, soaking things. I'd like to see one like they make in Britain that has a sewn-in neck cover so the horse is protected from poll to tail with no seams for the rain to sneak in. It wouldn't need to cover the bottom of the neck, just the top. Like this:

Turnout Rug

Leia

I like that one, Lisa, but my concern with it is instead of coming up over the withers it is cutback there which just lets the rain run right down inside!
default_wacko.png
The winter rains here are all-day, heavy, soaking things. I'd like to see one like they make in Britain that has a sewn-in neck cover so the horse is protected from poll to tail with no seams for the rain to sneak in. It wouldn't need to cover the bottom of the neck, just the top. Like this:

Turnout Rug

Leia

I have those rugs and they are brilliant ,
default_yes.gif

Thank you all for your help and great observations. Misty says thanks as she REALLY wants one that will keep her DRY. I am amazed at how helpful people are here.

Hope some time I can help some one else.

We did that style in blankets one year but they did not go over well. So much fabric and they were heavy. We will have to look at doing them in a rainsheet. Good idea. I have the patterns just need to change fabrics.

Thanks !!! Love new ideas.

Lisa

LisaB Ozark said:
We did that style in blankets one year but they did not go over well. So much fabric and they were heavy.
American mini people are odd.
default_wacko.png
They sell well in Britain despite using older-style materials that aren't as efficient or light as what we've got, the full-sized horse catalogues in America are full of turtle-neck or combo style blankets that are apparently very popular, and yet nobody wants them for their American minis?
default_wacko.png
What gives?? The extra neckpiece fabric on the ones I got to see in England were only about as long as my forearm, not very much extra at all, and yet gave so much more complete protection than a regular blanket.

LisaB Ozark said:
We will have to look at doing them in a rainsheet. Good idea. I have the patterns just need to change fabrics. Thanks !!! Love new ideas.
One thing I don't like about separate neck covers is the way they open in the back when the horse puts his head down and they often rub behind the ears and the jaw when they're snugged up enough to stay on. What I'd like to see in a rain sheet or blanket is an extra piece of fabric that is long enough to go up just past the mane and hangs loosely down the sides like the one pictured. It should only be attached at the wither area where it is part of the original blanket pattern (no seams) and should close under the neck with crossed surcingles that allow for comfortable flexion of the horse's jaw and neck while grazing. It doesn't need to be tight, after all, just held closed enough it can't flap in the wind. The important part is that rain should run off of it and not be channeled down inside the chest of the blanket.

I thought at first I only wanted a one-layer sheet so it didn't tamp down the winter hair, but the more I think about how uncomfortable a damp windbreaker is the less I think that's a good idea. Even if it's technically dry on the inside it still feels nasty! Maybe the blanket could have a soft, slick nylon lining to make sure it doesn't rub the hair? And gussets by the shoulder- it should have gussets. And a tail flap. And crossed surcingles rather than a belly band so it is held close to the horse and doesn't get soggy. And it should come down pretty far so that winter wind doesn't whistle up under it! Don't forget plenty of room for the withers. Okay, honestly I just want the blanket at that link but made with lighter American materials like the Kensington's.
default_rolleyes.gif

Can we do that?

Leia

Last edited by a moderator:
we will give it a shot. When we get samples I will send you one - might be awhile.

Thanks

I've wondered too why there aren't good mini blankets with neck covers...there is such a terrific selection now of big horse blankets & sheets with neck covers and/or higher necks. I'd be interested too!

Jan

Latest posts

Back