rain rot and full winter coat

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StormyAcreRanch

Reaction score
So I've been treating and retreating my mini for rain rot, problem is it will clear up and then come back. We live in Minnesota so he has a full winter coat I'm talking fluffy is not the word for it. I'm guessing this is why his rain rot keeps coming back. It's also been warm here 40's and 50's during day so I'm guessing he's sweating some. So my question is this, should I shave him, like not short shave but use a clipper with combs to trim him up some. Or just shave him and blanket him? He's outside 24/7 but could be brought in at night, but still the barn is not heated. If I trim him up a little shorter do you think he'll still need a blanket?

I've attached 2 pic's one of him last winter and one of him clipped.

charlie winter.jpg

charlie clipped.jpg

I personally wouldn't advise clipping at this time of year. If he is experiencing rain rot his immune system is already somewhat compromised and if you take away his cold weather protection there is a good chance you will create a larger problem than you already have. DON'T blanket him - fungus thrives in dark moist places. I have had good luck with peeling the scabs off, treating the area and then using a heat lamp over the horse and getting them out in the sun as much as possible. Groom them thoroughly and feed a good high quality diet.

If you have a warm place to give him a bath and dry, try washing him with Head and Shoulders are something similer. I have had good luck doing this.

While the barn does have hot water, the barn itself is not heated so not sure I will bath him. I agree I think for what ever reason his immune system is compromised yet I don't know why. He is on a good quality grass mix hay, and gets Purina Enrich 32 as a supplement. He's a little piggy right now so he is being cut back some and I'm getting him back in shape by lunging. I can't get out there everyday to groom him, but I do get out 2-3 times a week. I'm using Absorbine medicated spray on him http://www.absorbine.com/products/grooming/medicated-twin-pack-shampoo-spray which like I said is working. I pick the scab's and then spray this, the next day they really are not coming back, but I do have a few new ones. He's not horrible, it's getting better.

So I guess I'll hold off on clipping him. I will not order a blanket. I will continue what I'm doing and make sure he comes in this weekend when we are expecting our first snow fall!

I've dealt with rain rot in the winter here in Minnesota a few times. Vacuum the dust out of his coat with a shop vac or something similar to get all the crud that is in close to the skin off - it is the next best thing to a bath. The best thing I've found here in the winter for actually getting rid of the rain rot is good old Blu Kote spray applied liberally to the area with the rain rot and the area around the rain rot daily. It's messy, it's unsightly, but you can see you've got the rain rot well coated even in a winter coat and it is very effective against fungal infections like rain rot and ring worm.

Your vet can give IV oxytetracycline. It is much easier. I wouldn't clip, either.

im in Ireland so LOTS of rain
default_yes.gif

when you get it healed cover the coat in baby oil, especially over the affected area, just the cheap stuff.

this makes the coat waterproof and stops the rain getting to the skin.

you can reapply every few weeks

works here

Hey I'm from MN too (about 4 hours from you --looked at your website)

I have a mini who gets so fluffy you can hardly see her eyes in the winter ;) So I know what you mean. I wouldn't fully clip her, but If you are going to trim her a little, then you should probably have her wear a blanket at least at night or if its a cold day like 30-4- below 0 F but it probably won't get that cold until late Dec/Jan. When my mini got that, I used medicated shampoo on it and it worked. And if its only in one section then you could just shave that part...? idk. Good luck!

Last edited by a moderator:
Even though im here in Texas, Devil got rain rot this summer (not sure how?). I bathed him with Iodine shampoo, let it soak for 3 min and then rinse him off. I think i did that for 2-3 weeks? and that really helped get rid of it!

If it is pretty localized, you can shave just in the affected areas. Doesn't have to be a super close shave, just enough that it's easier to treat and is able to dry out.

Jan

Actually if you can get the crusty stuff off spray on athletes foot stuff, or the ointment, either way works very well. There are 2 causes of rainrot though...bacteria or fungus....if you have been using disinfectant or iodine and it is not working try the athletes foot spray.

Latest posts

Back