Races

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

djskid

Reaction score
We had a good time at the Hanover Races on Saturday night where there were 8 minis featured in a race! Our guy trotted his little heart out and like most things we try with him, he absolutely loves it!! This was his third race and first win!! Coming from a standardbred background, it is really nice to be able to participate in something with the minis that is so familliar to us...including the fact that I still get the pre-race jitters and can't eat before hand! My Dad is thrilled with the cooler he was presented with-he is like a little boy at Christmas, showing it to anyone that visits!
default_wacko.png

IMG_1079-1-1-1.jpg

Wow, I'd love to have seen that! Handsome horse!

Before I ever owned a miniature, I bought a sulky and racing harness from a man who had raced in Florida. Still use both today. But it looks like sulkies have evolved since mine was new. My harnesss and sulky have the racing quick hitch.

Do you know the winning speed? My 34" was trotting 12 mph when I asked a friend driving by us on the road to check.

What size of miniatures compete with each other?

How long is the course?

I would SOOO love to do harness racing with Mingus...he tells me (often) that it is what he was born to do. He's hot to trot!

Do you know the winning speed? My 34" was trotting 12 mph when I asked a friend driving by us on the road to check.

What size of miniatures compete with each other?

How long is the course?

Not sure how fast they went. I think that they went a quarter mile (at Barrie last year they actually went one whole time around the track
default_new_shocked.gif
). Hanover has two race dates-this one was for the "A" sized horses and then in September the "B" size will race.

How exciting Congrats on the win.

That really does sound like fun I would love to watch

What happens if they break? I have never watched a Standardbred race. My boy has done up to 13 mph per my GPS. Is that fast enough to compete in your races. I think it would be a GAS to do that!!!

That little horse of yours can REALLY trot!!! Very impressive as he kept right up with the 2 other horses who galloped most of the race! Our horse came in second a ways back as he trotted most of the race too and, of course, the 2 that broke and galloped over the finish line were eliminated. Manny was leading for the first part of the race but flagged a bit towards the end - more conditioning needed!!! I was proud of him though for keeping it at a trot for all but when Kim hollered "Go Manny!" and he did!
default_biggrin.png
Breaking into a canter for a couple strides. They can break and continue in the race as long as the driver brings the horse back to a trot immediately before an advantage is gained and they are trotting as they cross the finish line.

These photos are from the post parade - your dad and his horse and Garnet Barnsdale driving my daughter Mickey's gelding MiLo Acres Classic Ladies Man.

HanoverRaceDay032.jpg

HanoverRaceDay028.jpg

If you go to MiLo Acres Training Centre facebook page you can see the video Kim uploaded of the race.

Back