R-E-S-P-E-C-T

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zyndyna

Reaction score
I am trying to train my filly for halter class and we have several problems going on.. Of course we are struggling with standing. But I found a great older article on here about training for halter. One thing I didn't find was how to get her to respect my space. I admit she has been my baby and she is an in your pocket type horse so she likes to be touching me all the time it seems. I try stepping away when leading and she moves right back to me. We have been doing several things lately like some desensitization work and she is doing great with that and she has really learned she can trust me but we still struggle with this and position when leading. Like I said she is either on my leg or she wants to lag behind or go ahead. I am just starting out so any help is appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:
I may not be much help here because I do not show halter horses, but I do lead my horses and will not tolerate them walking on me. So that said here is what comes to mind for me -

First thing, make sure you give the horse plenty of lead. Many beginners seem to choke up on the lead and hold it right under the horse's chin. You want a minimum of 8 inches of line, aim for slack in it while you walk. I like to see how much slack I can get while training them, aiming for them to lead almost 'at liberty' with the lead thrown over my shoulder and no pressure on it at all. Second thing is I don't want a horse walking so close they will step on my feet or knock me over with a small startle so with those who want to do so I start carrying a short crop (a ruler would work as well) in the hand nearest the horse. If the horse crowds my space I will bump them in the neck with it to move them over. If they really don't understand the cue I will practice standing still asking them to step away from the pressure of the crop. Start with steady light pressure working up to as hard as needed to move them. Remember that horses instinctively move INTO pressure so you may have to hold pressure and wait a bit until they step away. Reward even a relaxing away from the pressure at first, with a release. and then walk a step or 2 and do it again until the horse understands that when you touch them with the crop they should step away from it. This will help when you begin training for halter obstacle or driving too as they will know to step away from pressure even light pressure. Once I am sure the horse understands they are not to walk too close I will get quite firm with them if they crowd me, I consider it a safety concern and as you noted a matter of respect. Time should cure this problem if you are consistent in your requirement that they give you space.

Another simple respect thing to try is asking her to back away from your space. Use a short whip as an "arm extender". Even one step away from your space is reward. When she gets into your space, ask her to step back out of it. This will help with future backing exercises also.

I also like to imagine my miniatures weighing 1100#. What would I tolerate if they were big horses? Large or small, they are still horses and can hurt you if they are disrespectful.

Being consistent is so important. Also releasing pressure immediately when she responds properly to your cue.

Good luck with your training! You will have a very nice horse, a pleasure for you and all the people she interacts with.

Latest posts

Back