Quilters

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sonya

Reaction score
My friend made me this beautiful, unique quilt...it is made of old jeans, the back and around the edge is light blue soft flannel.

It is very warm and I'd never heard of a quilt made of old jeans, I love it. What do you think of it?

quilt007.jpg

Here is my question: What is the best way to wash it...just in the machine on delicate cycle and light heat in the dryer?

How funny!! I was just telling my husband today to save a pair of jeans he was tossing for my jean quilt. I've been saving jeans for 8 years. They are heavy, so have no batting, but are scratchy without the flannel back. Mine will be a ragged one.

So, I happen to think it's a great idea!!
default_laugh.png

Last edited by a moderator:
I made a denim/flannel quilt for a friend and it turned out great!

I'm now saving Wrangler jeans for my OWN denim (raggedy or frayed-edge) quilt and I'm stock-piling *other* jeans for a denim quilt for my husband.

I have advised my friend to wash in the gentle cycle and try to lay-flat to dry. The heavy weight of the wet fabric could strain and break the threads, though I used "denim thread" when I constructed hers. I would probably drape it over a table or fence, but I think when I make our own, I'll lay them flat on the lawn or driveway in the summer sun and then *fluff* for 10-15min in the dryer to remove the last moisture and any grass clippings from the lawn.

I *really* like the way your friend tied her quilt. I will have to "file that away" as an idea for when I make mine...

heidi =^..^=

My friend likes to drape it over her couch in such a way that she can slip the TV/DVD remotes in one of the pockets and keep them handy.

Denim side:

PatDFh.jpg

Flannel side:

PatDFf.jpg

Horse-themed quilts:

Mythical Horses with Laurel Burch fabric. Purple and Gold.

I'll also be making Green, Rust, Sepia-brown and I've made two in bright neon Mythical Horses fabrics.

2007MythPanele.jpg

2007MythPanelf.jpg

My own Cal King bed-quilt with Mythical Horses fabrics. I designed the top and call it "Sashed Squares".

This is just a close-up of the fabrics while it was under construction:

2007MythHorsesd.jpg

I also made a handbag:

mhal.jpg

Your quilts are gorgeous..love the colors. I guess denim is not so uncommon after all..I had never seen one before this..it doesn't really match my decor (my bedroom is sage and brown and my living room is burgandy and tan) but I still love it..it's great for curling up on the couch. It is much softer than what I expected too..having trouble keeping my one dog off it..if he sees it on the couch he jumps right on it when usually his throne is my recliner! lol

Ha! My friend has the same problem, but it is her teenage SON who leaps onto the couch with the denim quilt! It seemed to be a pretty hot comodity last winter; everyone fought over it because of its' heavy warmth.

I wanted to add...the reason I advise to lay-flat-to-dry is because the DRYER is the machine that wears our clothing out, besides us and our use of the item. All that tumbling, rubbing against itself, other clothes and the dryer-drum creates friction and wear. When combined with the high heat of a dryer ... I believe it just helps to wear them out even faster, in addition if you use low heat then the fabrics must tumble longer to dry, creating even more wear.

In winter I use the dryer exclusively, but during nicer weather I prefer to hang our things outside and then fluff in the dryer 10-15min to fluff and break the stiffness out of the fabrics.

With quilts, the place of greatest wear, is usually the binding as it takes a beating from the machines (wash/dry) and our hands constantly pulling and tugging at it. Anything made well, though ... should be able to stand years of use and even moderate abuse. One of my first quilts, which I made almost 13yrs ago, is still alive and well. It is certainly faded, as it was used through my nephew's wet-the-bed years and had multiple wash/drys in a week for several years ... but it is still holding together and I've not had to make a repair to it, yet! To me, it looks like your friend did a bang-up job with your denim quilt and you should have many, MANY, years of enjoyment from it. Every time you wrap up in it, think of it as a hug from your friend.
default_biggrin.png

heidi

I love the quilt Sonya but then again, who doesn't like old blue jeans? As far as care, I would wash it on a delicate cycle and then air dry it.
default_saludando.gif

What amazing and beautiful ideas!!! Yes, I have seen a quilt using jeans and yours are lovely.

I own a number of quilts made by my grandmother and my great aunts. I wash them on delicate - cold and dry them on "fluff".

Latest posts

Back