quiessence vs remission

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shorthorsemom

Reaction score
I have one chubby mini boy who tends to get those fat pads all over his body and he stays fat on air. He has never been cresty. He is 7 years old.

He is dry lotted and gets nice grass hay and some enrich 32 for vitamins etc.

I have had him on remission and that has helped somewhat and he has never been cresty, however when I went to my feed store yesterday to get more remission I discovered they had started carrying quiessence pellets and the price was much better on the quiessence so I purchased that instead to see if it might do a better job than the remission.

Looking at the label the Remission has more "stuff" in it, but most of those ingredients are already covered by the enrich 32 and I have heard that remission has more iron than they need.

My vet has had her pasture horses on quiessence for years with success which is why I decided to try it.

Just polling the forum to see if folks prefer quiessence or remission and why and how well did each work.

I am conducting my own survey here by beginning quiessence yesterday, I think I will take some "before" photos and then photograph along the way to see if I can see any progress.

so,,, what do you think? Do you like Quiessence or Remisson (or neither) and why...

I've never used Quiessence, but do use Remission. I have to order on-line, as no place local carries either; the Remission is usually cheaper on-line.

I had to get out to feed, so never really finished my post. I've used Remission off and on for the last 6-7 years, I'm honestly not 100% sure its working, but the horses I have on it do seem to have fewer fat pockets and their necks aren't as cresty while they are on it. Its not a cure all, but does seem to help.

Last edited by a moderator:
shorthorsemom ...

I am anxious to see the replies on this subject as I am going to start using Quiessence and have switched all minis, except for 2 weanlings that are on Equine Jr., to Triple Crown Lite (which I have to special order). I have two mares who are developing a crest and one who was a little cresty when I got her. I'm anxious to see how the feed and the supplement do.

I too would like to know more about this, as I saw that quiessence has a calming benefit as well,

I would like to see if it would benefit my girl.

I do know this... I didn't think the remission was doing much for my boy ... that is until I stopped it... and he ballooned and has super weird fat blobs and a big belly. If the quiessence doesn't work I am heading back to remission.

My other boy is well maintained on what I am doing, just my shorter boy tends to chub up.

Thanks for writing back and reminding me I wanted to do a series of photos and need to take some pictures today to see if I can tell a difference on this new supplement.

PS, he isn't gross fat yet... just starting to puff up and I like to nip it in the bud. He is one of those boys that chubs badly even if he doesn't get grass and he wears a muzzle.

As you know I've used Remission the last few years. I chose Remission because when I did research it has more chromium in it than Quiessence which is important along with magnesium for helping metabolic issues. I also like that is has Vit E which is also supposed to be good for metabolic issues. I didn't realize until recently that it also has ground flax in the Remission, I think they changed that in the last year or two, because I was pretty sure when I started using Remission it did not have flax.

I'm curious to see if you like results from Quiessence because it is pelleted it would be easier for some of mine that don't like to eat the Remission as well.

I have been using Remission for several years for our insulin resistant show mare. It seemed to be cheaper than Quissence when I looked, however it DOES seem to have some of the calming effect of Quiessence which has been an issue because of her extensive showing. Between the calming effect and her anhydrosis, keeping her energy level up for showing in the summer was a big issue. The One AC for the anhydrosis does help. Anyway, while on the Remission (knock on wood) she has not foundered and she has had quite a successful show career in Pinto so she is staying on it.

Kim, one thing I noticed was that they gobble up the quiessence. It must taste good. My vet has had her horse on this for many years and had recommended it. I had the remission same as you, (you picked it up for me at Daniels). but it comes in such a big tub and it takes forever to use it up. The quiessence is in a smaller container but is the same weight as the remission but is in a heavier pelleted form. you feed one scoop per 250lbs to start then when you see results you give them 1/2 scoop after that. (I think I got that right). Scoop size is about the same as the size scoop in a gatoraid powder container. The Quessence was about 19.95 vs about 27.00 for the remission. I know that Daniels sells it much cheaper than my feed store.

I took some photos today and will do photos weekly to see if I can get Ike to lose some of those fat pads. No bulk on his neck but very obvious fat pads elsewhere and his tummy looks about ready to pop a foal. lol.

1 week on Quiessence and I can already see a difference in my boy. The weird fat blobs are leaving and although he is still chubby, his belly is definitely shrinking. So far so good. No other changes in feed or exercise, just adding the quiessence to his feed.

Will keep you posted.

I have my newbie mini on SmartControl IR, which is what our Welsh Cob x has been on for the past 6 months.

I use Quiessence strictly for its calming effects, and it has been a miracle supplement for my high-strung mare. She is much calmer, and has almost eliminated her aggression towards her herdmates. She will stay on it from now on.

Well ... it's been over a week with Quiessence and the 2 mares that I got it for ... one in particular that had a very thick crest ... noticeable difference! Her crest is softening and I can feel the fatty tissue breaking up (for lack of a better description). Her attitude is improving as she just hates the senior mare in the herd and goes after her, spins, tries to kick her, etc.... That has gotten less dramatic and the feeding times are getting less stressful. They all have their own stalls but getting past her with her "mood" was tricky for some! They love it and I'm happy so far, in such a short time. I guess if they need it, it will definitely show results fairly quickly.

That is what I was thinking, works great if they need it. I am planning on trying to photograph along the way if I can. My boy definitely has less fat blobs for lack of a better description. From what I see, I think the quiessence tastes better and if you have a pelleted feed supplement already, adding more pellets is easier than using the remission powder because my boy used to eat the pellets and leave some of the power in his bucket and walk away. Probably why it works better. The quessience ,because it is pellets, and you feed more to start, is not as cost effective as the remission, however, I do think it might be working a bit faster than the remission did and the price is not too bad IMHO especially when I am seeing results already. .

stay tuned.

anybody else use smart control IR? Just curious. Looks interesting, thanks for mentioning.

I can't tell anymore if the quiessence is working visually, will have to go by tape measure. My little beastie is turning into a yak for winter and is so fluffy that photos won't be of any comparison help now. LOL, I forgot about the fluffies.

I've been using Smartpak Control IR pellets for about 3 months now on my 10 year old, 32.5 inch gelding. He had previously been on Remission for about a year. ( I, too couldn't tell it was working...til I took him off and he plumped. Decided to try the IR pellets, because then I could be more sure if he was eating them versus just "pushing the powder around".) He has done very well on the IR pellet with managed diet and exercise, has plenty of energy too.

I also gave my very high strung "over" gelding the remission for about a year, didn't notice any difference. Just ordered the Smartpak Calming pellets to see if they would work. Has anyone tried those?

Latest posts

Back