Quick update on Kody

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hobbyhorse23

Reaction score
I just wanted to let everyone know that Kody's doing good! He's still floating on and off his hay a little which bugs me but he's absolutely devoted to vacuuming up every crumb of feed I put in his bucket and has started waiting by the pasture gate and nickering at me when I come down to the barn which he hasn't done since before he was gelded three years ago.
default_new_shocked.gif
He finished his antibiotics yesterday and hasn't been on any kind of anti-inflammatory for about a week but his temp remains normal and he's dragging me down the street at a busy trot every time we go out. I finally put him back in long-lines yesterday for our walk and he was so excited he could hardly stand it. He trotted out for long stretches both uphill and down with no sign of soreness or difficulty and of course bucked and tried to canter once we were out on the main road and going where he wanted to go. Despite that his "Whoa, Stand" has gotten very good and he got a lot of praise for controlling himself when he was excited. When we got home I asked him to pick up his feet for cleaning and he actually anticipated and held his hind feet up for me before I got there like a normal horse.
default_thumbup.gif
Until now it's been all he could do to to simply shift his weight off the leg with my help and get it unlocked without accidentally kicking me; he's never been able to lift it himself without at least a brief lock so this is a huge step and tells me he's consciously figured out that he isn't going to lock. He looked so proud of himself I just had to hug him.
default_wub.png

He's standing squarely now and taking more weight on his hind heels instead of only on his tiptoes and one of the legs has gone back to tracking straight, but the other one is still toeing out quite a bit. I'm hoping that will correct itself with a bit more time and some physical therapy like the other one did.

I'm fairly sure his teeth need some work and the dentist is coming out tomorrow to float him, clean his sheathe and remove the surgical sutures so after that we'll see if he goes back on his hay consistantly and stops champing the bit quite so much.

Meanwhile....heee's BAAAAAAAACCCKKK!!!
default_risa8.gif
default_cheeky-smiley-006.gif
default_cheers.gif
Despite missing Oregon Gold and a lot of training time at a critical part of the season I have no regrets about doing this surgery and only wish I had done it sooner. His recovery is going much quicker than the previous splitting procedure and he's clearly much happier.

Leia

Last edited by a moderator:
YAY!!!!!!!!!!!

(chant) KODY KODY KODY KODY KODY KODY!!!!!!!

I can only imagine that you're sleeping a bit better now.;..

So glad he's doing so well!
default_aktion033.gif

That's wonderful to hear, I'm so happy for you (and for Kody!)
default_biggrin.png

I am so glad that things worked out the way they have
default_yes.gif
default_yes.gif
default_yes.gif
-- I was pretty durn sure that they would tho
default_wink.png

OK Kody, we will be looking forward to seeing you later in the year better than ever
default_aktion033.gif
default_aktion033.gif
default_aktion033.gif

Leia I have no doubt that you will make it to several shows this year - Kody probably feels better than he has in a long, long time. Stressful for you for sure, but now that it is over it is ever so rewarding to see how quickly your boy get's back into full stride and beyond.

Hugs for your bravery - I know it was a scarey time for you!

Stac

That is wonderful news!! Thanks for keeping us posted. I am so glad the surgery turned out the way it did.

Gosh I didn't realise he had had surgery. So pleased to hearing he is doing good and getting back to his old self!
default_aktion033.gif

Anna
default_smile.png

I am so glad that Kody is doing lots better, I have been keeping track of him,

Yayyyy!!! This makes me so happy to read!

Congratulations, this is the outcome you both so deserved.
default_smile.png

Liz

That is wonderful wonderful news. You did all the right things and it finally worked out for you both! Congrats!

thanks for the udate
default_aktion033.gif

Always like good news
default_aktion033.gif

Woo hoo! It's such a great feeling when things work out the way they are supposed to!
default_aktion033.gif

Jan

Ha, I had to come back and add that he's definitely figured it out. Today when the vet cleaned his sheathe under sedation (he'd had his teeth floated) he started to lift a foot in complaint, realized he could do it, and promptly started trying to cow-kick the vet as she removed a large bean! :DOH!
default_rolleyes.gif
I never thought I'd take it as a good sign when a horse decides to kick.
default_whistling.gif

That's my Kody!

Leia

AWESOME NEWS!!!! That's really good to hear!

Meanwhile, I am getting Dancer in good form with more and better "groceries" and am pleased with her progress.
default_smile.png

Daryl

Latest posts

Back