Quick question

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wormers I start with a mild one, Strongid at no older than 1 mth of age than worm every month until weaning. At weaning I start them on daily dewormer. Vaccinations I start 2 to 4 weeks post weaning to avoid issues with maternal antibody passed through the mares milk that can interfer with the vaccine.

Wormer - I always start at one month with safeguard. Then as they mature I switch to something stronger.

Shots - they really don't need shots until you start the process of weaning. It is best to give them their first set of shots 2 weeks before weaning and then one week after. My vet recommends this now. Then there is no slack between being protected by momma's milk and the down time for the two shots to be fully effective.

I worm at two months (I give the dam Ivermectin within 12 hours of foaling, so the foal gets some of that protection through the milk) with Safeguard and every month thereafter until 1 year of age. Then I switch to every other month and they're on the adult schedule. I vaccinate at between 4 and 6 months (whenever they're weaned). And then, obviously, a booster a month after that (the mare will have had her pre-foaling vaccinations 30ish days prior to foaling).

Last edited by a moderator:
Vaccinations - If the mare was vaccinated 30 days or so prior to the foals birth, the current recommendation is at 6-8 months old for the first one and a month later for the second. Prior to that they are covered by the mares vaccinations.

Our vet recommends three months for the 1st shots of Tetanus/Flu and WNV ( we live in a high risk area for WNV), followed by the booster 4 - 6 weeks later and then Rabies at 6 months. We start deworming them at about six weeks with Strongid P and then every month there after till after weaning. Been doing this for years and we find it works well. My only suggestion, give those very first shots in the hip rather than the neck, had a foal this year with a huge lump on his neck and could not lift his lift his little head for days. Just a slight reaction, but I hate to see them not able to lift their heads, makes nursing difficult.

Sounds great, thanks everyone!
default_saludando.gif

Latest posts

Back