Quick Question

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sarah's Little Blessings

Reaction score
Hey, got a quick question about Nationals.... does the youth have to show in every class with every horse they plan to show at Nationals? Or are they like us, just show in one youth class per horse then show in whatever at Nationals with that horse?

I know it's 2 shows to go to Nationals..just wondering if they do the classes like us amatuers,or
default_wacko.png
???

Thanks alot-Sarah
default_saludando.gif

Just to try to be helpful and clarify.....they need to qualify at a show in a YOUTH designated class with the horse (youth halter, youth jumper, youth obstacle, youth driving, etc.) they are then qualified to show in any youth class at nationals.

Putting a child in an open class -- like a color class -- does NOT count in qualifying them to show at nationals in a youth class with that horse. There has been, and I think still is, confusion about that and we've been at shows where this has been questioned -- usually when someone wants to put a child in color class with a horse because they think then that child is qualified for nationals to show that horse in youth classes.

We have discussed this with the AMHR office and asked for the youth rules to be clarified to be sure.

We personally have five kids that show and our show string ranges from 8-14 horses and we are very careful to make sure every child of ours is properly qualified with any horse they may be showing at nationals that year. Thankfully my husband keeps track of all that on his computer because with our family and horses I'd be overwhelmed in no time trying to track it all.

FYI -- I have heard that are checking now to make sure youth are actually properly qualified too, because of confusion in the past about it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not to hijack the thread, but could somebody clarify the qualification for amateur classes at the National Show. The way I read the rules, the HORSE has to qualify by going to two shows under four judges, but I didn't see any requirement for the amateur/horse combination to have to qualify like there is for youth. Thus, it seems a horse that qualifies by showing in open halter classes by person A could be shown in amateur halter classes at Nationals by person B. Is this correct?

Just to try to be helpful and clarify.....they need to qualify at a show in a YOUTH designated class with the horse (youth halter, youth jumper, youth obstacle, youth driving, etc.) they are then qualified to show in any youth class at nationals.
Putting a child in an open class -- like a color class -- does NOT count in qualifying them to show at nationals in a youth class with that horse. There has been, and I think still is, confusion about that and we've been at shows where this has been questioned -- usually when someone wants to put a child in color class with a horse because they think then that child is qualified for nationals to show that horse in youth classes.

We have discussed this with the AMHR office and asked for the youth rules to be clarified to be sure.

We personally have five kids that show and our show string ranges from 8-14 horses and we are very careful to make sure every child of ours is properly qualified with any horse they may be showing at nationals that year. Thankfully my husband keeps track of all that on his computer because with our family and horses I'd be overwhelmed in no time trying to track it all.

FYI -- I have heard that are checking now to make sure youth are actually properly qualified too, because of confusion in the past about it.
Thanks for the clarify I was wondering though what about the youth halter stallion class? How can a youth qualify for that if they have to qualify it in a youth class? No shows around here have a youth stallion class...

Thanks for the topic Sarah I was going to ask something of the same thing.

Thanks for the clarify I was wondering though what about the youth halter stallion class? How can a youth qualify for that if they have to qualify it in a youth class? No shows around here have a youth stallion class...
good catch, I've asked about this too but forgot to mention it. A stallion shown can be shown by youth 13-17 and can show in that youth stallion halter class at Nationals as long as that youth qualified with him in some OTHER youth class prior to nationals. For instance, they could qualify with him in youth driving, showmanship, hunter, jumper, obstacle, etc. if a show doesn't (and most won't) have the youth stallion halter class. I think the area shows MIGHT have it though...I haven't paid attention.

The person that asked about amateur classes.....the horse just has to be qualified and then he can be shown in amateur or open. Not like youth where the horse/person combo has to qualify together. Qualifying for amateur only requires being the owner/amateur on record and holding a valid amateur card.

Also a quick comment to remind everyone that a YOUTH cannot add classes after they get to Nationals . They must register for all & any class that they wish to show in at Nationals as there is NO post entering for youth at the National show.

Latest posts

Back