Quick Question on Shots

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marnie

Reaction score
Do you guys give foals shots before 6 months, the dams had the 4 way shot. Also whats in the 5 way that the 4 way doesn't have?

"Equine encephalitis comes in three forms: Eastern, Western and Venezuelan. All three are combined with tetanus toxoid in one vaccine. This is commonly referred to as a VEW-T or 4-way vaccine". The 5-way adds the Flu/Rhino. (This is information retrieved from the internet as I am not a veterinarian nor do I claim to be one). My veterinarian recommends vaccinations for our horses at 4 mos if dams were not vaccinated before foaling or as late as 6mo if the dam was vaccinated.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Debra, Can they get sick with either shot and would you do it a wk before they are to be transported for two or three days to there new home?

I PM'd you...
smile.gif

Hi Marnie. Those are the shots (5-way) that my vet advised me to give the filly that i sold to Florida. I suppose any horse can have a reaction but my filly at 4 months did just fine.

Latest posts

Back