Quick Question on AOTE and Amateur

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sarah's Little Blessings

Reaction score
Hey everyone. I got a quick question really quick. I'm confused
default_wacko.png

Is it ok to show in both AOTE and Amateur with the same horse? If so don't you have to do it Amateur in one show, and then do the AOTE in the other?

What if you have two seperate horses in one show can you put one in amateur and one in AOTE? Is that possible?

Have I totally lost you all? Hope not and hope to hear from ya. Thanks in advance-Sarah
default_saludando.gif

You can show AOTE with any horse that fits the rules for showing. You can also show that same horse in amateur. You can show two different horses as well. Just make sure your very careful about showing those horses in classes like Grand and Reserve, you need to handle the AOTE horse and not the amateur horse if you have two. If you only have one then its much easier. You will only have to handle one. We have actually shown the same horse AOTE, Amateur Level 2 and Amateur Level 1 at many shows. I am Level 1 and my daughter is Level 2.

Last edited by a moderator:
It doesnt say anything in the rule book that you have to show the aote horse in grand and reserve I just pulled these out of the rule book online. This rule was in place before the break of heights and senior/jr. So there couldnt of been more to choose from then amt level 1 2 or aote mares for example.

1. Another Amateur may show AOTE horses in

Championship classes only when the AOTE exhibitor

has more than one horse qualified.

You can also get help in this instance too by another amt.

a. The horse exhibited by the AOTE must be trained, conditioned,

groomed and shown by the AOTE or a nonprofessional

family member

Exception: Mare & Foal, Get of Sire and 3x1 Owner

Classes, another Amateur may assist in these classes

If you have an AOTE horse and an amateur horse and both go in an Amateur Grand and Reserve Class, you do have to show the AOTE horse. You can only pass off an AOTE horse if you have two AOTE horses and they both go back in the grand/reserve class. Example, you have the first place AOTE jr mare and AOTE sr mare, then you can hand one off. But if you have the first place AOTE sr mare and a first place mare in Amateur Jr mares (not an AOTE horse) you must handle the AOTE horse in the grand/reserve class. I got this directly from the office, as I also had a question about it, but it stands to reason that the AOTE horse falls under different handler rules than a regular amateur horse. That is what AOTE is all about. I asked because at one time we were showing two sr mares, one was AOTE and the other one was not. I wanted to make sure we didn't violate any rules so I called.

As for the rules you posted, you can have help but only if you have more than one AOTE horse can another amateur handle one of your AOTE horses.

Hey there thanks, so in other words next year I'll have two AMHA colts, I am for sure AOTE and Amateur, one will be a gelding then, and one a stud colt, for example I could take the Gelding in his Amateur, and AOTE classes at the same show? See somehow I was thinking you had to pick if you showed AOTE or Amatuer..thanks everyone so much! I can't wait till next year.

If you have an AOTE horse and an amateur horse and both go in an Amateur Grand and Reserve Class, you do have to show the AOTE horse. You can only pass off an AOTE horse if you have two AOTE horses and they both go back in the grand/reserve class
Where does that say that in the rule book?

Then they better update the rule book as thats now what it says.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok I just got off the phone with Kristy from the AMHA office. When in doubt call.

Kristy said according to the rule book you can legally chose which horse to show in grand and reserve, but the intent was keep the aote handlers with the aote horse but isnt clarified. So this rule will be going up to housekeeping
default_smile.png

When I calld Kristy back in June with the same dilema. I want my Am Jr Gelding to win Grands because my AOTE Sr Gelding has enough of them, so that is why I called and if I have 2 Am horses in Grand, no matter if they are only Am or AOTE, I choose who I want to show and as long as the other is shown by another Amateur is does not matter. the rule book is vague and it says as long as the other horse is shown by another amateur, you are good to go. well, then we have Supreme and I have been to several shows were there is an Amateur Supreme offered and there ARE NO RULES!!! go figure. so hopefully with all of this said rule suggestions/changes will be made for the 2010 meeting. But what if someone has 2-3-4 AOTE horses in Grand n Reserve and/or Supreme, then what? I think the rule should be made more specific, but should stay the same. as long as another amateur can help you out, then it should be ok. Because BELIEVE me, there are very few amateurs out there who really truly help you out when you have more than one horse in Grand n Resrve, let alone in Supreme. You quickly find out who your friends are. Take Brenda for instance, she could have Elle- in mares, Calvin in stallions and Doors as the gelding - all in Amatuer Supreme and they are all AOTE horses!! see, do you penalize her for having the best horses there and tell her, now you can only show one? no, you let other amateurs help her out, that is only fair, she worked her hiney off to get those horses to where they are at, so all 3 of her AOTE horses should be in the Supreme class.

Back