Quick question about cart metal color in greater detail

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SappyAppy

Reaction score
I'm in the process of getting my cart ready to paint. I've found that the paint on the metal throughout the cart is in nice shape and so plan to not repaint that, just the wood.

Shaft tips are brass. Rein rail is brass. All the other metal work is painted black, like the brackets for the dash board etc. My harness is being made with brass as I thought that was appropriate with the brass trimmings on the cart. Now something I read made me wonder if ALL the other metal on the cart should be brass as well? It's a meadowbrook, there are all kinds of brackets and metal bits that are covered with a really nicely done black finish.

Or am I starting to overthink this?

Altho I am not an expert on turn out by any means, I would say that the parts that are painted black should be left alone, assuming I am picturing it correctly and you are referring to the 'underpinnings' of the cart. Unless they contrast with the rest of the cart and stand out so they are what you see when you look at it I can't see it being a problem. Perhaps you could post a picture of your cart, then everyone would have a clear picture of what you are talking about and give you a more informed answer.

Thank you, yes I do mean brackets etc, some of them are rather visible though, such as the ones holding on the dash etc. Here are pics before I started tearing it down and now that it looks a total mess.

cartprerefinish.jpg

cartshaftbending.jpg

Your cart should look great once you have it refinished
default_smile.png
The metal parts like springs don’t need to be brass. Most carts (that I have seen) use brass as a hilight rather than trying to make the entire thing brass (would look a bit tacky with too much brass I suspect... too much of a good thing) just as your does.

What you don't want to see is brass on some parts and nickel/stainless/chrome on other parts (including the harness), that is what they mean by don't mix metals. If you have a brass rein rail and chrome hubcaps, then you would paint the hubcaps black or order brass ones to have a proper turnout. This also goes the other way, if you have a harness with silver than the metal on the cart needs to be silver. I use harnesses with silver (I hate polishing brass) so I painted my brass hubcaps black and removed the rein rail.

This is for mainly ADS (American Driving Society) shows. I have never seen the breed shows make a comment or care that much on turnout.

It does seem that breed show standards of turnout are much different and way less traditional. We aren't heading for the breed shows but can't rule out ADS events in the future. I'm trying to plan for the most we are likely to do in a reasonable future time period so I don't have to redo things over and over. The only unpainted metal will be brass, same as the harness. I was sure that was right but then read some random comment somewhere that made me start to worry. I really can't wait to get the paint going onto this cart so we can go driving! The man who is making my harness has kindly offered to come and help us hitch for the first time and get things all adjusted so that's a relief, not much in the way of driving lessons nearby. You kind of have to know someone who drives to learn. I have a few friends with limited driving experience but still would love for the harness maker to put him to that cart the first time.

If you scratch a little paint off the painted metal work, you'll likely find the metal underneath is chrome or something other than brass, and it was painted so that the brass trim was the only thing showing. That is very approriate, and I'd just leave it that way. You could add some more brass, like a whip holder and hubcaps (They really add a lot) for a small investment. other than that, leave the metalwork as it is. You might want to think about pinstriping, maybe red , white or blue to further accent your cart. With the gray horse you could use silver, too. While you don't usually see a meadowbrook with a painted finish in a pleasure class, you can't go from paint to natural color and its just not worth the effort to try. You have a nice looking turnout there and can make it very nice with very little work. Good Luck!

Thanks horsenaround, I might have to look into brass hubs
default_yes.gif
That sounds like it would really help the brass pop.

The cart is currently dark green with red pinstripes but there is so much chipped and peeling paint that a total repaint is in order and the pinstripes are toast. So since all that needs to be done anyway I'm changing colors, not a giant fan of the green on the cart.

I'm thinking about burgundy or deepest plum. Any opinions about going with that kind of color versus black? I hadn't been seeking a super formal turnout necessarily, and had actually contemplated stripping and wood finishing but it would entail a total dis-assembly of the entire cart.

NO thank you, I want to actually use it this year!

So, color opinions anyone? Leaning toward deep plum. No, burgundy. Yup, I'm torn.

Either colour would look lovely. I assume you plan use it with the horse in your avatar? He would look good with a very dark plum (or burgundy) IMO. LOL, now wasn't that helpful ?

Ooh, burgundy sounds nice. If you wanted to put the stripes back on you can buy them "ready made" as transfers, and I know you are going to say "where?" and I am pretty sure it would be a motor cycle or car finish website but I will see if I can find it- I dumped IE a few months ago as it was so slow for me, and I forgot to save all my contacts before I jettisoned it!!

In mini and ADS shows you typically don't see a Meadowbrook cart with a painted finish. Traditionally, Meadowbrooks were done in a natural finish as they were a more formal turnout used for the family Sunday drive in the park (Hence the name Meadowbrook, from the Meadowlands in NJ in the 1800's) They were typically put to a Morgan or other light driving horse. The painted Meadowbrooks that you see nowdays are either in Draft single horse classes or Ladies to drive. Likewise, if you see a meadowbrook in a mini show it will usually be in a single draft class, imitating the draft horse shows.. Also following the draft shows, a mini meadowbrook is usually seen done in white.

There is nothing wrong with a painted meadowbrook, and as you say, trying to strip wood and restaining it would be a very time consuming project and you probably would not be happy with the results anyway. So, color choice is really up to you. I have tried to do carts in burgundy in the past, and found it very difficult to find a deep burgundy color paint. Keep in mind that at some point you will need to find more to touch up scrapes and dings. Deep plum would be even more difficult to find and match. Any dark color, except black, will be the same way. I'd actually recommend doing your cart in black, and adding color to it with pinstriping with touches of brass to give it some flash. The brass hub caps really add a lot and without a lot of expense. (Iowa Valley Carriage has them and won't cost an arm and a leg) Then, if you want to show with the turnout, you can add color with your clothing, and anything matches black.

Yes it's for the appy! He's so many shades that I think just about anything would look good with him.

Rabbitsfizz, I've seen those pin stripe transfers in the auto supply store, can't recall what sort of options are you there but I'll take a look because I do love the way the pinstripes dress things up.

I can see why black would be very practical and other colors hard to find in the first place and harder to match up later on. I think in the end my decision will be swayed by paint availability. I'm still trying to figure out what sort of paint is the most appropriate and durable. Obviously you want a high gloss and lots of durability. So I'm looking into that, if someone knows the answer to the perfect type of paint I'm all ears.

I'm definitely looking into the brass hubs, that's a great idea. And I already have a nice new brass rein rail ready to go on the cart. Once I build new seats that is
default_yes.gif

Latest posts

Back