Quick and EASY Dinner Recipes

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How about Beer Butt chicken? This is great stuff!!! Get a whole roaster chicken and canned beer. Drink 1/2 of the beer or pour 1/2 down the drain like I do since I hate beer. You can also use Coke, Root Beer, Pepsi as well I hear. Season the bird inside and out with salt and pepper or the McCormick grilling seasonings and seat the bird on the can carefully. Cans are weak these days and collapse easily so you do have to be a bit careful. Preheat the oven to 350 and bake the impaled bird in the seated position until done. You will need a thermometer for that part, but I think it is an hour to an hour and a half. You will have the most tender, juicy tasty chicken ever. Be careful taking the bird off the can, it is tricky but worth it. I usually bake it on the bottom of a broiling pan to catch all the 'juices' and in case the bird falls over.

To be sure of the timing and temps and to get more seasoning ideas, just google beer butt chicken and you will find all kinds of ideas.

This weekend in Kentucky I had a Black and Bleu pasta that I'm going to try to recreate. It seemed pretty simple - just grilled/blackened chicken with a Cajun spice rub, penne, alfredo and blue cheese crumbles on top - but the flavor was great! I wonder if I made the beer butt chicken if the leftovers could be pulled, seasoned, and used in the same pasta?

Just threw together something super easy and cheap for dinner. Spencer steaks in tomato gravy.

In a crockpot add:

2 cans Tomato soup (you can also use diced tomatoes, or one can of each)

Salt

Pepper

Minced Garlic

Spencer steaks (If you have time, pan sear for maybe 30 seconds each side to seal in the juices better, if not, it doesnt really matter much. I usually do, but today I had a screaming toddler so I didnt have time)

Cook it on low for 8 hours.

I serve it over regular egg noodles, and a vegetable on the side (usually green beans)

This is one of my favorite meals

I don't know if you have tried these or not, but Hormel makes great entries! i find them in the meat department. they roast beef with au jus, pork ect... they freeze well and only take minutes in the microwave. The barbeque spare ribs are to die for! they are expensive though. all you need to add is your vedgtables and potato or pasta of some sort.

Polish keilbasa with mac and cheese is good too. You can heat the keilbasa in the microwave and serve it on the side or cut it in small pieces and mix it in. then fix whatever vedgie you want.

Ham steaks only take a couple of minutes to fry and serve with your favorite side dishes. You can keep it frozen untill you are ready to fry it.

Chicken tacos are great too and will work great with canned chicken breast. Chicken enchaladas work well with canned chicken breasts too. Although these take a little longer to prepare and need more ingrediants.

The first suggestions are great when you just walked in or have been too busy to think about dinner until the last minute.

Have breakfast for dinner once in a while. It is quick and easy and I think broccoli goes well with eggs.

I can't believe I forgot this one, a major favorite and low cal/carb too!!

Take low carb tortillas, brush a bit of olive oil, add a bit of pizza sauce and top as you wish. I use turkey pepperoni, low fat cheese, mushrooms. Bake at 450 for 8 - 10 minutes and you have mini pizzas. If you like the 'crust' crispy, pre-bake them for a few minutes before putting on the toppings. This way everyone gets what they want on them. One 8" pizza is good for 4 lunches for me with a bit of non fat cottage cheese, or one meal for my roomies who have normal sized stomachs.

24 ounces dry fettuccini pasta 1 cup butter ( I cut it in half) 3/4 pint heavy cream salt and pepper to taste 1 dash garlic salt ( I used fresh garlic instead of salt) 3/4 cup grated Romano cheese 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese

1.Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Add fettuccini and cook for 8 to 10 minutes or until al dente; drain.

2.In a large saucepan, melt butter into cream over low heat. Add salt, pepper and garlic salt. Stir in cheese over medium heat until melted; this will thicken the sauce.

3.Add pasta to sauce. Use enough of the pasta so that all of the sauce is used and the pasta is thoroughly coated. Serve immediately.

I love this thread!!!

This weekend, I made a really good chicken teriyake thing and it tasted just like at a Chinese restaurant. My mom had told me the secret is to coat the chunks of chicken breast lightly in corn starch! She was right. I can't believe how good it was. I made it again last night. If I can make it, anyone can. Using the corn starch before putting the chicken in the skillet makes it cook perfect and taste so good
default_smile.png
:)
default_smile.png

Using the corn starch before putting the chicken in the skillet makes it cook perfect

Look at you!!! I'm so impressed!!!!
default_aktion033.gif
:yeah
default_aktion033.gif

Liz

We like Taco Salad...quick and easy:

1lb Ground Turkey (can use ground beef)

1/2 envelope of Taco Seasoning

1 can fat free refried beans

1 can black beans (dont drain)

1 cup salsa (we like WalMarts Peach/Pineapple Salsa)

Bag of salad mix (or head of lettuce)

Shreaded sharp chedder cheese

Diced Onion

Fat Free Sour Cream

Nacho Chips (we like Scoops)

Brown meat, add seasoning and both cans of beans...mix everything let heat well. Place lettuce on plate, put scoop of meat/bean mix in the middle. Top with shreaded cheese, diced onion, salsa and sour cream....place favorite nacho chips around plate. Its pretty and soooooo good. My 93yr old Mom loves it too.

Nice to have a dish of cold watermellon for desert...real refreshing summer meal.

I make a little different version of the taco salad.

I pound ground meat

1 package taco seasoning mix

1 can of kidney beans

bag of salad mix

a couple of fresh tomatoes

1 package green onions

I package of the shredded mixed cheese

Dorritos tortilla chips about (2 cups crushed)

Brown ground meat with taco seasoning then add drained can of kidney beans. heat thoroughly then remove and let cool.

Cut up green onions and tomatoes. In large bowel add all ingredients. Mix lightly. Serve and eat with fork or spoon.

If you think you will have leftovers you may want to just put the dorritos on what you are going to eat. Sometimes they may get a little soggy by the next day. Sometimes they don't.

You can add sour cream and/or diced avocado also.

Ooops! I forgot! I add a can of sliced black olives or sometimes whole black olives.

Last edited by a moderator:
Love this topic! It gives me lots of new ideas!

I thought of a dish I used to love, but can't remember how to make it! Maybe someone on here can help me out.

Chinese chicken salad

Cooked chicken breast cubed or shredded.

1 package of top raman noodles

sesame seeds

maybe celery?

sliced green onions

some sort of dressing??? maybe Aisen Toasted Sesame?

shedded or thinnly sliced red and green cabbage

?

Set aside the ramen flavor packet. You don't use it. Break up the dry ramen noodles in a bowl, add the rest of the ingredients, stir and I think it needs to sit for a little while. Then serve.

Spaghetti al Melone

1 pound spaghetti pasta

1 1/2 cups grated Parmesan

1 (2 pound) cantaloupe, peeled, seeded, and cut into 1-inch pieces to yield about 4 cups (can choose to use butternut squash also instead of melon)

1 cup heavy whipping cream

1/2 stick (4 tablespoons) unsalted butter, diced into 1/2-inch pieces, at room temperature

1/4 cup whiskey

2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice (from 1/2 large lemon)

1 tablespoon kosher salt, plus extra for seasoning

1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, plus extra for seasoning

Directions

Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil over high heat. Add the pasta and cook until tender but still firm to the bite, stirring occasionally, 8 to 10 minutes. Drain and place in a serving bowl. Add the Parmesan and toss well.

Place the melon in a food processor and blend until chunky. Set aside.

In a medium saucepan, heat the cream and butter over medium heat. Bring the mixture to a boil, reduce the heat, and simmer until the butter melts and the mixture is smooth, 2 minutes. Add the melon, whiskey, and lemon juice. Simmer until the mixture thickens, about 10 minutes. Stir in 1 tablespoon salt and 1 teaspoon pepper.

Pour the sauce over the pasta and toss until coated. Season with salt and pepper, to taste, and serve.

Heat some olive oil in a skillet (only a tablespoon or so), take boneless skinless chicken breasts, put them between two pieces of plastic wrap and beat the crap out of them until thin. Great after a bad day at work.
ROFL!!!

Jill, I absolutely detest cooking because I have too many other things I'd prefer spending my time on. I've learned that making a casserole in a large baking pan works wonders, because with the two of us I can usually stretch it for three nights in a row!

If we have a rainy day I'll try to make a few casseroles and stick them in the freezer. Here's one recipe we both love. Not that hard to make, and you can freeze it ahead of time.

Santa Fe Chicken Casserole

• 1 onion, chopped
  • 3 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 Tbsp. olive oil
  • 9 oz. pkg. frozen fully cooked diced chicken
  • 2 (15 oz.) cans black beans, drained and rinsed
  • 24 oz. jar thick and chunky salsa
  • 1 cup taco sauce
  • 8 corn tortillas
  • 1 cup sour cream
  • 2 cups shredded Cojack cheese

Preparation:

In medium microwave safe bowl, cook onion and garlic in olive oil on HIGH for 2-3 minutes until tender. Stir in frozen chicken, black beans and salsa. (If freezing, cool onion and garlic mixture before adding frozen chicken.) In 2 quart glass baking dish, pour taco sauce. Lay four corn tortillas over sauce. Top with half of chicken mixture. Spoon on half of sour cream in small dollops. Sprinkle with half of cheese. Top with remaining tortillas, chicken mixture, sour cream and cheese. Cover with foil. At this point, you can wrap the casserole well and freeze up to 3 months.

Bake at 350 degrees for 25-35 minutes until bubbly. Uncover and bake 5-10 minutes longer until cheese is melted. If frozen, thaw casserole overnight in refrigerator, then bake covered at 350 degrees for 35-45 minutes until bubbly; uncover and bake 5-10 minutes longer until cheese melts. Serves 6

Here is another SUPER fast and easy, but delicious casserole that everyone loves:

CHICKEN A LA PEARL

2 c. cooked and diced chicken 1 can cream of chicken soup

1 carton sour cream 1 pkg. Stove Top chicken flavor stuffing mix

Grease a 9 x 13 baking dish. Place chicken in bottom of pan. Combine sour cream and soup in a small bowl. Gently spread over chicken. Prepare stuffing according to directions, omitting butter. Drop by teaspoonfuls over chicken mixture. Bake for 30 minutes at 325. This simple casserole is great for company.

Sheila here is the Orential Chicken Salad (you can leave out the chicken)...for Oriential Coleslaw

5 Tablespoons white vinegar

3/4 cup oil

5 Tablespoons sugar

2 flavor packets from chicken ramen noodles

Combine above dressing ingredients, cover refrigerate 4 hours or overnite, then add it to the salad JUST BEFORE serving.

Combine these salad ingredients:

1 lb bag of shredded cabbage

3 shopped green onions

5 Tablespoons toasted sesamee seeds

3/4 Cup toasted slivered almonds

2 cups cubbed cooked chicken (optional)

Top with the 2 packs of ramen noodles. I put them in a big zip lock bag and smash them (crunch em' up good).

Sheila here is the Orential Chicken Salad (you can leave out the chicken)...for Oriential Coleslaw

5 Tablespoons white vinegar

3/4 cup oil

5 Tablespoons sugar

2 flavor packets from chicken ramen noodles

Combine above dressing ingredients, cover refrigerate 4 hours or overnite, then add it to the salad JUST BEFORE serving.

Combine these salad ingredients:

1 lb bag of shredded cabbage

3 shopped green onions

5 Tablespoons toasted sesamee seeds

3/4 Cup toasted slivered almonds

2 cups cubbed cooked chicken (optional)

Thanks!!! Now I do remember about the slivered almonds! No celery! The version I learned about did have a bottled dressing and it sound as though it may have the same flavor.

I think I am going to pick up some of the ses things at the store. my problem is that I hate going grocery shopping very often so I tend to want to have things on hand that will keep for a while and I can just throw together.

Top with the 2 packs of ramen noodles. I put them in a big zip lock bag and smash them (crunch em' up good).
That is it!! It was slivered almonds and not celery! the person who taught me used bottled dressing, but it sounds like the same flavor. Thanks!!!

That is it!! It was slivered almonds and not celery! the person who taught me used bottled dressing, but it sounds like the same flavor. Thanks!!!
This is great to take to a carry-in event...double it, put the dressing on when I get there and always take home an empty bowl...!!

I started putting together a food blog for some of my recipes. Food is Love- blog I have a lot more I need to add. I love to cook
smile.gif

Latest posts

Back