Questions re: cart measurements

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CharlesFamily

Reaction score
I have a chance to get a metal easy entry cart that I think would be great for training Toy next year - especially the price, but I want to make sure the measurements would be right for him.

Toy is 36". Can anyone tell me what approximate measurements I'm looking at with regards to length and width of shafts?

The guy isn't sure if the cart fits a pony or large mini - I don't think he's ever used it. I'm supposed to go look at it soon and just want to have an idea of what I'm looking for.

Thanks!

Barbara

For 36" horses I really find that the standard 48" shafts are too short, unless the horse is one that doesn't stride out very long. I have 54" shafts on my EE cart & find that is just right for the 35-37" horses--with 48" shafts I would have a very valid concern about them hitting the basket with their hind feet when they hit a full road trot. I did have a cart with 48" shafts originally--and with that cart I couldn't drive any of my bigger horses. The basket on that cart was shaped a little different from the basket on the CTM and Frontier carts, and that combined with the shorter shafts just didn't allow enough room for the bigger horses to trot out.

Thank you very much! At least now I have a starting point to go on. I'm sure it's not going to be a great looking cart - but as long as it's sound and safe it will be a good thing to start with while I save up my pennies for a Frontier!

My show cart has the 48" shafts and we will see how Baylee (37 1/2") does in it.

I think Erica's Jesse is 36" and drives in a 48" shaft cart.

Maybe it depends on the individual horse. Toy isn't a big move, he will be a nice country horse.

Hey, Barbara, if Arlene isn't to far from you, maybe give her a call or drop her an e-mail to see if you can take Toy over there and "try on" some carts.

Thanks Sheryl!

I think I'll just go look at this cart. If the measurements are anywhere close to either of these, I'll probably get it. The guy only wants $80 for it - so if it's safe and sturdy I don't see the harm in buying it. I could always re-sell it later if it doesn't work.

I drove my 34" stallion and my 36" mare in the same carts before and they fit fine. I believe it had the 48" shafts. I'll let you know after I see it!
default_saludando.gif

I have also found that the height of the horse is not all that matters. It is the build. some horses are longer in the body and have longer strides in back. That is what makes the decision on how long the shafts need to be. You will probably be fine using a 48" shaft for training most any mini. Look at the end of the shaft if it is metal and make sure there is something over it to keep it from scraping your horse at the shoulder. You can put and old sock and tape it on good to cushion it if nothing is there.

Angie

Latest posts

Back