Questions on Showing.

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sarah's Little Blessings

Reaction score
Hello! I recently bought my first shetland colt! He is a yearling, and I believe is a Classic. I want to show him in Aug, however have several questions!?

Do you wear the same attire as minis?

For classics do you put the ribbions in their hair? I think moderns you do.

Do they do the same as miniatures? I thought I hear they work the rail, what does this mean?

Do they just wear an arabian style halter, or need something different?

Do you clip? Leave in full coat?

Do you black their hoofs are leave natural?

Do ya'll find shetlands are harder to condition the minis? He is staying a little thin for my liking. I am gradually putting a little more food in his feed pan, but he seems to stay somewhat thin? Could it be his age?

Ok, so I know, TONS of questions.

Any advice on starting out?

THANKS!

I love my new guy and can't wait to get started, I just have tons of newbie questions, so thought, what better place to ask then here?

Well, I'll give it a shot at answering some of your questions. I'm sure some with more experience than me will come along for more opinions. We have minis and also 2 shetlands. Both of the shetlands are Foundation/Classic. Just started with the shetlands last year.

We wear the same outfits with the shetlands as the minis. Usually black or tan pants with a nice jacket. Sometimes a cowboy hat. Depends on the class. Hats are a MUST in the showmanship class!

No, you don't do the ribbons in the Classic's. And they show in an Arabian style halter. They show a little different than the minis. Usually you will go out and set up for individual inspection by the judge. After they judge you they will tell you to walk to the rail, then turn left and trot down the rail, then turn and trot back down the rail, turn and then walk back to where you were at in the line up. I've been told that you want to stay about six feet away from the rail when you are trotting. Some of the other types you stay really close to the rail. We were really worried the first time we had to do it, but it's not really that bad.

We clip ours and yes we black their hooves.

I think maybe the weight is age. We had one last year I couldn't get any weight on. This year he looks super.

Good luck with your new guy
default_aktion033.gif
and feel free to ask any questions that you may have.

Do you wear the same attire as minis?

I wear black pants, black boots, black shirt and a jacket over. Basically the same thing i wear for the minis. I see allot of peple that wear, i cannot remember what they are called, the very light shirt ..like business shirts that you would wear under a business jacket, they come in 3/4 sleeve and full sleeve, i see allot of people wear those with black pants too.

For classics do you put the ribbions in their hair? I think moderns you do.

No ribbon neededfor classics

Do they do the same as miniatures? I thought I hear they work the rail, what does this mean?

You enter the ring and lineup facing the direction the judge asks you to side by side. The judge will then one horse at a time judge your horse and then ask you to trot OFF the rail. Now, this is something that nobody told me until last year after congress. The moderns work ON the rail, classic/fnd work OFF the rail. Off the rail means stay about 5 - 7 feet away from the rail when are asked to trot.

Do they just wear an arabian style halter, or need something different?

I use the same type of halter that i use for our minis.

Do you clip? Leave in full coat?

Yes, i body clip everything before it steps foot in the show ring, just my personal preference.

Do you black their hoofs are leave natural?

I black their hooves if i can, if they have stripes then i will pain the strips and clear over the rest. Depends on which way it looks best.

Do ya'll find shetlands are harder to condition the minis? He is staying a little thin for my liking?

They are allot easier, imo, to keep conditioned.

Thanks ya'll! So basically the same, incept for working OFF the rail. Now I've seen the moderns work with two handlers, do you need two for the classic/foundations?

Trust me I'm going to be asking so many questions, you are going to get tired of me! :)

Do ya'll find shetlands are harder to condition the minis? He is staying a little thin for my liking. I am gradually putting a little more food in his feed pan, but he seems to stay somewhat thin? Could it be his age?
As a general statement, I feed have to feed my shetlands in the show barn, more than my minis.....and I feed my minis a lot (5-7 cups 2x a day of 14% grain, hay, beet pulp, alfafla)..........one of the ponies I have up showing (and shes a 3yr old 36") eats 10 cups 2x a day, and she has hay down 24/7, beet pulp and aflafa)

Thanks ya'll! So basically the same, incept for working OFF the rail. Now I've seen the moderns work with two handlers, do you need two for the classic/foundations?

Trust me I'm going to be asking so many questions, you are going to get tired of me! :)
You can have a tailer for Classics but it is not required.

Yearling Shetlands of some bloodlines can be difficult to keep in show condition. Some of them will put everything you put into them into grown up instead of growing out. :DOH! Easy keeper vs. hard keeper also depends a lot upon bloodlines in my experience.

Thanks everyone!

Well, I've been feeding alot, he also has his little pasture, and its full of grass! He's not really what I call skinny, just alot less "bulky" (if you want to use that term) then minis, I guess I better get use to that though.

I can't wait to get started with the shetlands! I love him so much already.

Thank ya'll so much again-Sarah

Depends on the bloodlines. But shetlands are not as bulky as miniatures. If you will miniatures are more like mini stock horses. Shetlands are ponies, not much stock horse blood in their lines. So I would say a leaner look.

As long as you don't see rib bones, hip bones, but have a bit of cushion, you should be good to go.

Make sure your feed is at least 14% protein and hay is good quality. For growing shetlands up to 18 months old, I feed a 19% protein grain. I find they keep condition better and allows them to keep growing without getting gangly. For a 350 lb. 42" 14 month old stallion yearling colt, he receives 1 lb. per feeding, and then I add in beet pulp.

For anything over 18 months, I swtich to a 14% to finish their growth, which is usually density not height.

Of course I live in a cooler region and have had to adjust their hay and grain down as it warms up.

I have to be careful if they get into some grass for a couple days. They can pack a little extra weight on. Two of my 2 year old fillies packed some extra weight on in just 2 1/2 weeks.

For showing:

Foundation and Classics work 6' off the rail. Generally you come in counter clockwise into the arena at a trot. Line up - present your pony either squared or slightly parked, whatever makes a better look of the top line. Then you are asked to work the rail. You then go back to the line and pose your pony again.

Cable halters are generally used in the Foundation/Classic division. And sometimes your miniature cable halter will fit your smaller ponies.

Good Luck!

Thanks again everyone! Its going to take some practice, but I am sure we'll get it. I am going to increase his feed some more. His backbone is barely showing, and hip bones, it just seems like I can't keep weight on him!

Thank ya'll though, we'll give it our best shot.

-God Bless-Sarah

Just to clarify, there is no distance of the rail in the rule book. It simply states:

Page 180 of the rule book:

3. Aged 3 & 4 Year Olds: To be judged 60% on

conformation and breed type, and 40% on

performance, quality and manners. Will be asked

to move on a line at a walk and a trot.

This is repeated for all age groups, only the model class is different.

Latest posts

Back