Questions about youth showing ..

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Leeana

Reaction score
Post removed..no idea why this was bumped back up 5 years later. But removing my post from it, thanks
default_smile.png

Last edited by a moderator:
[SIZE=14pt]I can only speak from amhr knowledge since I dont show amha. Youth over 14 can show a stallion in performance in youth. Any youth can show a colt up to 2 years old in any class. Ammy and open you can also show stallions.[/SIZE]

Lyn

l think in the A it's still no youth 12 and under can show a stallion with the exception of weanling and yearling colts. We have a 13 year old girl showing a mature stallion for us this year in some of the open classes and in a few youth classes including driving.

[SIZE=14pt]Yes Leeanna that is correct.[/SIZE]

Lyn

I have to differ with you on this one.

Back when we were still struggling with all of the rules & the difference between AMHA & AMHR rules, my grandson showed a WEANLING colt in a YOUTH class. He was disqualified.

But, he could have showed him in an open class.

A youth 13 years of age or older can show a stallion in a YOUTH PERFORMANCE class- jumping, driving & the obstacle classes. It is confusing.

Yet-- last eyar they threw in a youth class at AMHR that allowed youth to show a stallion in that one particular class - I can't remember just how it was worded.

So-- be careful-- ask the steward at the show if you are not absolutely certain.

It can be confusing on the youth. My daughter Kim has shown stallions jr&sr but only in open classes. At nationals they do have a youth halter stallion class but you must be over 13. I'm still wondering if they have resolved the issue for qualifying for that class at nationals. Performance classes youth 13-17 may show a senior stallion in youth driving classes. Linda B

Sorry Lyn, youth can NOT show any stallion any age unless they are 13 and over.

" A Youth 13 years of age or older may show a stallion in Open Halter and Performance classes. Youth 13-17 may show senior stallions (3 and over) in Youth driving classes. Youth under the age of 13 may not show stallions of any age, including junior stallions (weanlings, yearlings, or 2 year olds)"(AMHR Rulebook 2005, page 234)

2 years ago they had a Youth Halter Stallion class that was open to all youth--many of us had a fit and fell in it!! What good are our rules if we throw them out the door for Nationals?? Last year they had a Junior Stallion Halter class for Youth 13-17. Not a sanctioned class, but "legal" . Heck, I think the Senior Stallions are easier to show in most cases--those young'uns can be horrible out there. Oh well.

I don't know about AMHA, this is the rule for the AMHR. The rule is in a supplement from 2009, (on pink paper), on page 5.

Youth 13-17 year olds may show senior stallions, (3 years or older), in youth or open hunter, jumper, obstacle & versatility. Youth 13-17 years of age may show senior stallions in open halte and performance classes. Youth are not allowed to to show a stallion in any youth halter or youth showmanship class with the exception of youth 13-17 may show senior stallions in yuth or open driving classes. Youth under 13 may not show stallions of any age, including junior stallions, (weanlings, yearlings or 2 year olds).

Personally, and this comes from my stock horse days, I don't think any youth exhibitor should show a stallion period. Its not that I think that ALL youth can not handle stallions or that ALL stallions are difficult to handle. Its the fact that we have such a HUGE problem with getting people to geld and show geldings, WHY are we encouraging the showing of MORE stallions?? Kids have enough trouble worrying about their own hormones. They shouldn't have to worry about a stallion's and we should be enouraging the exhibition of geldings.

But, that's my 2 cents for what its worth.

And yes, I have handed off stallions to youth exhibitors. Mainly because I am too slow to get those dang jumping points against the jolly green giants around here.
default_wacko.png

Here is the AMHA rule according to the 2011 rulebook (pg 132):

"No youth 12 years of age and under may show stallions with the exception of weanling and yearling colts."

As there are no Youth Halter classes for stallions (only mares and geldings), they obviously can not show any stallions regardless of the youth's or horse's ages in Youth Halter classes. So that leaves the youths showing in open and performance (youth and open) classes.

I can add that Kelsey showed Brumby (Little Kings Brumby Buck) in Senior Stallion classes when she was 13 and got asked her age a lot. There was some shaking of heads and I think some judges took off for it (not to mention she was showing against the trainers). Brumby, of course, was always perfectly behaved.

Our local club follows AMHR rules mostly. We have a 13 yr old age minimum for handlers of stallions, no matter what class/age you're showing.

Our local club has tried to follow 4-H and Pinto rules - -no stallions with youth, period. We've taken a lot of flack for that. I'm all for safety.....but if the stallion is well behaved and the parent or guardian is responsible enough to know the child, then I think we should go with the AMHR rules. I know for a fact that my stallion would act better for my grandchildren than my mare does but since they're under 13 we have no choice but to put them with the mare.

Latest posts

Back