Questions About Showing Silver Bays

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RockRiverTiff

Reaction score
Another couple quickies from me. What color of hardware do you guys prefer on your silver bays? Silver or gold? And what do you use to get their flaxen manes/tails the brightest? Thanks!

Personally, I like silver on most of my horses. I reserve gold for sorrels, palominos, and buckskins. As far as brightening and whitening color, I like the Quic brand of shampoos. On a silver bay, I would use Quic Color (they also have Silver for greys/palominos/whites and Black).

I have used both silver and/or gold on my silver bays.

I prefer gold rings / turns (and burgundy nosebands look great). I think even though they have flaxen manes and tails, most silver bays seem to be warm toned tint to the m/t and body to my eyes, where silver blacks are cool toned (so I prefer silver on them).

My silver bay wears silver hardware. I tried gold, but silver really compliments her silver mane and tail.

~Jen~

Last edited by a moderator:
Sometimes it depends on the type of silver bay..........We've used both silver and gold halters, but my favorite halter has BOTH silver and gold on it.

It can depend on the exact shade of silver bay, but I've found the best is the silver/gold halters.

I use gold/silver halters and I put baby powder on the m/t to brighten it up. Works great on a mare tails at the end where the stains are.

Thanks everybody! Here is a picture of the horse in question last year:

charliefacing.jpg

I plan to clip him today, and expect he'll get his color back darker than last year. As you can see, his mane especially looks dusky as he gets more silver in it, and my main (or mane I guess har har) concern is that it will look dirty in the ring--not sure if I should try to brighten it as much as possible or use a shampoo that darkens the silver. I appreciate everyone's advice--I do think a burgundy noseband would look good, and silver/gold sounds like a good compromise.

Just wanted to add on my silver manes and tails I use Oxy clean to whiten them up On my silver dapple after I bathed him and applied the oxy clean his m/t are white as white can be
default_yes.gif
Only use a little bit though usually if come with a small cup and I just put enough to cover the bottom of the cup then sprinkle it on and rub it in, it really works
default_yes.gif
default_yes.gif

What about a silver bay with BLUE EYES? What would go best with that?

Tiffany, with your boy, I think gold would look best!
default_yes.gif

What about a silver bay with BLUE EYES? What would go best with that?

Tiffany, with your boy, I think gold would look best!
default_yes.gif

With blue eyes I would definitly go with silver, that always looks very sharp
default_yes.gif
IMO

(like my blue eyed silver in my avatar)

Latest posts

Back