Questions about my mare

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joanna Cooke

Reaction score
It’s going to be hard to tell from these pictures, but there is something going on with my mare’s fur, among other things. I would love ANYone’s opinion about this stuff. I have noticed that she’s been losing more fur than normal for this time of year. Both sides of her neck have REALLY thin fur and her back fur isn’t too thick either. She has had a little bit of clear nasal discharge coming out of her nose ever since I’ve had her (which, I just got her this year), and I never worried about it because it’s been a pretty hot summer and the pen she’s in has been dusty. So, I just figured the discharge was from dust/pollen. Her stomach has also been really gurgley, and I can’t tell if it’s a hunger gurgle or something else. I am pretty sure she is pregnant (hard to tell because she’s only three months along), and so far, ever since I’ve had her, she has acted perfectly normal, plenty of energy, eyes are clear, I have given her quite a few checkups (temperature, respiratory rate, heartbeat, etc.), and she has aced all of those. She eats and drinks just fine, she poops and pees regularly and her poop looks fine (no worms). I have dewormed her with ivermectin and fenbendazole, she has access to a mineral and salt block, and I feed her grain in the morning (a little bit of sweet feed and a few alfalfa pellets) and she usually gets hay at night, sometimes some extra fresh grass. I just have no idea what’s going on with her fur or anything, I have been reading and researching for a while and I can’t figure it out. I’m trying to avoid having to have a vet come out, but if she gets any worse I’ll have no choice. I just hoped maybe someone would have an idea of what might be wrong? Or if it’s normal for this time of year or something?5BAA4FC6-B499-4497-9FE7-77094CDDF084.jpegDC16FB88-2C5E-43A0-B9A8-3830F54F0ED0.jpeg0E64391F-A5C2-4C4B-A544-301C6DD3C30F.jpegF96E7D8F-4C0C-4156-965C-131C1AA2F719.jpegA1F812DA-8E55-4222-BCA3-1D3434675274.jpeg

So, I know nothing but it seems a lot of animals with white markings/pink skin get sunburned very easily and have a lot of sensitivity to their environment including plants/grasses, food, etc. She looks absolutely adorable!

Reactions: Taz
So, I know nothing but it seems a lot of animals with white markings/pink skin get sunburned very easily and have a lot of sensitivity to their environment including plants/grasses, food, etc. She looks absolutely adorable!
Yes, she does get easily sunburned but I am keeping her in a shaded pen during the day and I let her out at night. I thought it might be a slight allergic reaction or something like that, but I’m not sure how to pinpoint where it’s coming from! Thank you though! She is a pretty girl☺️

That's a really tough one... Is she itchy?
It could be an allergy, that is really hard to figure out even for a vet. If it goes away in the cold weather it would be to bugs or something in her enviroment that goes away in the cold but that won't help you right now. You could try putting a sweet itch fly sheet on her to see if it makes a difference. It's just a fly sheet with a tighter weave to keep the little bugs off.
You could treat her for lice but you'd have to check if that was OK if she's pregnant. You're vet could probably tell you with a phone call. That's an easy one, they do better after the first treatment.
I never worry about clear discharge from their noses as long as it's just a bit, it seems to be pretty normal.
I know you got her in really bad shape and you've done a lot to fix that but maybe put her on a vitamin/mineral supplement in case there's something she's missing? That would be my first thought if she's not scratching at all. I think there can also be a thyroid issue but don't take my word for that, you'd have to have a vet do a blood test and decide on treatment.
Her weight looks good but it looks like she could put a bit more on over her top line, increasing her alfalfa pellets(protein) would help with that. I know you didn't ask about that but I'm just putting it out there.
You've done a great job with her and it's so wonderful to see her in a good home 😊

That's a really tough one... Is she itchy?
It could be an allergy, that is really hard to figure out even for a vet. If it goes away in the cold weather it would be to bugs or something in her enviroment that goes away in the cold but that won't help you right now. You could try putting a sweet itch fly sheet on her to see if it makes a difference. It's just a fly sheet with a tighter weave to keep the little bugs off.
You could treat her for lice but you'd have to check if that was OK if she's pregnant. You're vet could probably tell you with a phone call. That's an easy one, they do better after the first treatment.
I never worry about clear discharge from their noses as long as it's just a bit, it seems to be pretty normal.
I know you got her in really bad shape and you've done a lot to fix that but maybe put her on a vitamin/mineral supplement in case there's something she's missing? That would be my first thought if she's not scratching at all. I think there can also be a thyroid issue but don't take my word for that, you'd have to have a vet do a blood test and decide on treatment.
Her weight looks good but it looks like she could put a bit more on over her top line, increasing her alfalfa pellets(protein) would help with that. I know you didn't ask about that but I'm just putting it out there.
You've done a great job with her and it's so wonderful to see her in a good home 😊
Thanks for the advice! She isn’t itchy at all from what I’ve seen, and I actually forgot to mention that, when I rub her top part/poke it a little around her withers and spine, it seems to be kind of painful for her. She seems to walk and trot fine though, so I thought that might have to do with that little extra pregnancy weight but I’m not sure. As to her top line, I thought that might just be her physique, because I’m pretty sure she’s got some welsh in her, but I’m not completely sure about that either. Do you have a suggestion for a good vitamin/mineral supplement? Thanks again! I appreciate the encouragement!

Looks like inflammation. I had ahorse that had that wrinkled neck. I would try a Tough 1 fly sheet andkeep her totally out of the sun. See what thevet says about some Equiox for afew days. It's a worry, i know.

I have no idea what you have there for supplements, you're local tack/feed store should be able to suggest one.
If she's not itchy and is painful it sounds like an infection/inflamation. Definitely try the fly sheet, keep her out of the sun and maybe an antibiotic bath, betadine works well and from what I've heard is a great way to get them really white but I never tried it on a grey/pinto. I don't know what Equiox is but I'm guessing antibiotic? Definitely a good idea.

Equiox is like banamine. There's a version for dogs, too. Maybe like aspirin compared to Advil. My vet gives it to me for Dapper Dan's arthritis. You can give it several consecutive days. I would try something like that; if she is more comfortable and the wrinkles are reduced, you'll know it's inflammation. If she is very miserable, you could be risking laminitis; not to be an alarmist, but that's what happened to mine. It all happened after he had rabies/tentanus--maybe a coincidence, but still...

Equiox is like banamine. There's a version for dogs, too. Maybe like aspirin compared to Advil. My vet gives it to me for Dapper Dan's arthritis. You can give it several consecutive days. I would try something like that; if she is more comfortable and the wrinkles are reduced, you'll know it's inflammation. If she is very miserable, you could be risking laminitis; not to be an alarmist, but that's what happened to mine. It all happened after he had rabies/tentanus--maybe a coincidence, but still...
Yes, I looked at the Equioxx stuff after you mentioned it before, and the only reason I hesitate to try it is because she doesn’t seem to be uncomfortable or in any pain, unless I’m messing with her by rubbing/poking around. Also, what’s the issue with wrinkles on her neck? Why is that unnatural? In the pictures, she had her head turned toward me, which is why she had those wrinkles, and she’s not dehydrated at all. Also, why the fly sheet? She has no open wounds anywhere, and her skin looks just fine, she just has the hair loss. Thanks for everyone’s advice though!

Have you considered giving her a gentle luke warm bath with a Tea Tree Shampoo? You can use a human brand if you can't find a horse or dog one. It does look like a possible allergy. It may even be a sort of mange which is caused by mites. I'd also worm her with Ivermectin which helps with both mites and certain types of lice. If nothing seems to be working, there's always a vet's advice. Good luck.

I
Have you considered giving her a gentle luke warm bath with a Tea Tree Shampoo? You can use a human brand if you can't find a horse or dog one. It does look like a possible allergy. It may even be a sort of mange which is caused by mites. I'd also worm her with Ivermectin which helps with both mites and certain types of lice. If nothing seems to be working, there's always a vet's advice. Good luck.
I hadn’t thought about that, but I can certainly try it! I did worm her with a little ivermectin paste and some fenbendazole pellets just a couple of days ago. Thanks!

The wrinkles in her skin are a sign of inflammation, it shouldn't do that normally. Could be from infection or irritation from allergies or mites or anything. The fly sheet is to keep bugs/sun off her in case that's what's bothering her. If you try a couple things and she doesn't improve in about a week I'd get the vet in, this is a lot of guessing but you're vet will see her in person and be able to figure out what she needs.

Vet might try steroids to sort of "re-set" her system if allergies are involved. At least human docs likely would. That would probably bring her some relief, at least initially if he does prescribe steroids . Of course, this is just from my own human experience as one with very sensitive skin and dermatological issues. Hopefully something is an easy and quick solution.! Will be thinking of you and your girl. Please keep us updated!

Vet might try steroids to sort of "re-set" her system if allergies are involved. At least human docs likely would. That would probably bring her some relief, at least initially if he does prescribe steroids . Of course, this is just from my own human experience as one with very sensitive skin and dermatological issues. Hopefully something is an easy and quick solution.! Will be thinking of you and your girl. Please keep us updated!
If you have any steroids please don't give them to her if you think she's pregnant, let your vet decide if that's a good way to go. Normally steroids are great for allergies but are bad if there's a baby.

Since she is a rescue, her hair loss and her a little more wrinkled skin may just be what's normal for her (did you have her this time last year?) or for a horse her age. The only reason this comes to mind is I had a red and white pinto mare for many years. She had very fine hair and as she got older her hair did get thinner. Hair thinning and the skin on the neck wrinkling when they turn their head is very common on an older horse. It's just not as obvious on a miniature, because they usually have so much more hair. And white makes it easier to see also. If she were mine I would give her a bath with a Povidone Iodine shampoo and keep her out of the sun. If she has something fungal or bacterial going this shampoo will help her.

Since she is a rescue, her hair loss and her a little more wrinkled skin may just be what's normal for her (did you have her this time last year?) or for a horse her age. The only reason this comes to mind is I had a red and white pinto mare for many years. She had very fine hair and as she got older her hair did get thinner. Hair thinning and the skin on the neck wrinkling when they turn their head is very common on an older horse. It's just not as obvious on a miniature, because they usually have so much more hair. And white makes it easier to see also. If she were mine I would give her a bath with a Povidone Iodine shampoo and keep her out of the sun. If she has something fungal or bacterial going this shampoo will help her.
No I only got her this May. She is only 8 too, but I will gladly believe that this is all normal! And I really do think she is a welsh pony. She’s just got the physique and gait to prove it.image.jpg
I took this just now. I gave her a tea tree shampoo bath to see if that does any good, and while was at it, I checked her temperature and heart rate. She’s just fine! Here’s something that I have noticed but forgot to mention... she seems really gassy. She’s been letting loose quite a bit lately.😉 I was thinking I could give her a little mineral oil mixed in with her feed tonight, in case she’s got a little upset tummy (which I suppose might explain why it hurts for me to rub her belly and why she’s been gurgley)?

image.jpg
Another question... Anyone know what this is??? It was hanging out of her butt, and it looks like a worm to me, but what kind?? And I just dewormed her!

My guess would be round worm. It's not unusual for them to expel worms after they've been dewormed. If their parasite load is high, you are more likely to see them.

My guess would be round worm. It's not unusual for them to expel worms after they've been dewormed. If their parasite load is high, you are more likely to see them.
Yes, I do think it is roundworm because, good news! Right after I posted that picture of the worm, I put her back in her pen and I saw worms in her poop! Thank goodness the wormer is working! And maybe, since there were quite a few in her poop, she just had an infection that got a little out of hand and caused the hair loss. I rubbed some cooling muscle pain stuff on her withers/shoulders/spine, and she seemed to be feeling good this morning, as well. I’m gonna keep doing the stuff I have been and just keep an eye on her. Thank you so much everyone for your help!

Latest posts

Back