Questions About Clipping?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've decided to go with the Andis AGC Super Two Speed Clipper w/ T-84 Blade
default_smile.png
It seemed like the best choice overall, hope I'm not disappointed or anything. I'm only buying one extra blade right now, or should I buy more? They're on sale for $19, plus free shipping since the order is over $100. I am also purchasing the Andis clipper oil, or is there a better one I should be using? The weather is warming up a lot here. Supposed to be in the 50's by Saturday! Amen to that.

*Bonus* The clippers on horse.com are only $155! Ok not so much of a bonus but it's a tad cheaper than $170 haha.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would totally go for that!!!! Blades are usually around $30, so that sounds like a wonderful deal!!

I would suggest a CLEAN, DRY horse!! Blades will last soooo much longer! Show sheen (dried) helps blades glide even more smooth. I use Blade Ice spray to cool the blades, and I have some blade wash to soak them in when I'm done.

Before and after pics, please!!! Can't be any worse than my clip jobs!! I have a post in MareStare, and I took a shot of my mare's behind from above, and her little tail triangle is waaayyyy off, lol.

HAHAHA Oh my gosh, I'm so nervous lol. It was in the 50's today, so clipping time is gaining on me. I've worked with all the mini's enough to where Spirit ( My wild, rearing, striking, fleeing for his life at the sight of me) now lets me approach him. He nuzzles me now, let's me love all over him and groom him. He is a little darling now(but still a bit of a spitfire at times) and I couldn't be more pleased with his progress! I'll only be clipping 2 horses for right now. My filly Charm and Spirit, I'm not sure if Charm was ever clipped as I got her as a yearling. But she isn't untrusting, in fact total opposite. No need to tie that girl up while grooming lol. I think she'll be good, but hey, that's just hope. I'm so excited! It's supposed to be in the 40's to 50's next week. Should I still blanket them if I only do a chest clip for right now? Or will they be ok, since the low's for the nights are in the low 30's.

Hmm. May need someone more experienced to answer that one for you!! I'm ALWAYS cold, it seems. Unless the temperature is above 75 degrees, I have sleeves on. I did blanket mine when it was in the 30s here earlier this week (78 today, go figure), but I'm afraid they will be chilly!! With a chest clip, I'm assuming they will still have plenty of "insulation", but let's wait on someone else!! Haha.

The little gelding in my avatar is a spooky fella. He just sat there and trembled for 10 minutes when I got started on him. He eventually settled down until I got to his hind legs and down the point of his butt, then he tried to kick me into next week. We've been playing the "desensitization game".

Good luck!!!

I just found out my new gelding Spirit is crazy head shy. I am joining the quest to desensitization lol. Yes I also am cold all the time. I even get cold in the summer..especially at night. I don't handle it well which stinks because I'm literally 30 min. from Chicago and all that cold wind is always sent my way. Boo
default_sad.png

Good news is that he isn't bad anywhere else, like bombproof until you get to his ears lol. So yes I think a chest clip would be appropriate until I can get him better with his ears. The clippers and everything have been ordered. Maybe will show up sometime within the next few days. SO EXCITED!!!!
default_cheeky-smiley-006.gif
default_new_multi.gif
default_risa8.gif

If your show isn't for a few months then I would wait to clip. If your horse is not used to being clipped then practicing will not be a bad Idea. Ideally you should bathe and dry a horse before clipping. If it is cold where you live you would need to blanket a clipped horse. Best to wait. It would be wise however to practice getting them used to clippers by clipping muzzles and jaw lines, ears and fetlocks. That way they will get introduced to clippers but not need blanketed. A great source for clippers is ebay. When buying equipment you get what you pay for and in the case of clippers....higher quality means a better experience for you and your horse. New clippers should come with the grease and lube oil recommended for use. It is always best to use the appropriate oils and blade applicants for the clipper and blade, that way your blades last longer, the cut will look better and your clippers will last. Also, using the wrong applicants may void warranties on clippers...I once used blade coolant on a pair of clippers and cracked the housing. Right in the instructions it read "do not use spray coolant" they wouldnt honor warranty so I was SOL. As a last resort if they need clipped and will not comply, go tobyour vet and buy a tube or dormosedan gel. It is an oral seditive that will not make them sweat profusely like other drugs do whick makes clipping hard. It is always better to desensitize and train a horse to clip, however if the horse has been mishandled or hurt in the past it may be necessary to help them get over the fear without getting hurt or hurting you. Good luck.

Does a person have to clip their mini's, when not showing? I was just going to let Halo shed out naturally, due to she is mainly a pet/companion for me. I won't be doing any competing. I have groomed our own dogs through the years and even tried opening a dog grooming parlor for awhile, and groomed other dogs. So I know how to use clippers. One thing, when grooming dogs, is you need to check the heat on the blade often, otherwise you will burn their skin. There is a cooling spray that can help, but I had extra blades, and I would switch, and spray, them out, every so many minutes. Is a horses skin tougher than a dog's?

Some people might say that a horse's skin is tougher than a dogs, but I think that that would all depend on the breed. Regardless of breed or creature even; skin still punctures, pinches, pulls and burns the same. Hot, broken, too long or improperly attached blades can injure your animal. As a groomer I know you know that
default_smile.png
but some people do not know just how sharp blades are. I have had boarding clients knick horse's legs and ears when mis angling the clippers in tough to reach spots. Under the legs and between the chest where skin is loose is tricky too on both horses and dogs. the skin folds are hard to get with some blades. if you do not show, you do not have to clip your minis. They will shed naturaly with proper grooming they will look just as lovely with a shiny summer coat. It is good however to get a horse ot tolerate clipping for emergency situations: if the vet needs to get an IV in or find a vein to draw blood and they need to clip a spot to find it. or incase of a wound that needs stitching, or in cases of skin conditions or parasites (rescued a colt COVERED in lice once...eew). Letting your mini shed out will work just fine, and I am sure that she will love the extra brushing and grooming attention.

Does a person have to clip their mini's, when not showing? I was just going to let Halo shed out naturally, due to she is mainly a pet/companion for me. I won't be doing any competing. I have groomed our own dogs through the years and even tried opening a dog grooming parlor for awhile, and groomed other dogs. So I know how to use clippers. One thing, when grooming dogs, is you need to check the heat on the blade often, otherwise you will burn their skin. There is a cooling spray that can help, but I had extra blades, and I would switch, and spray, them out, every so many minutes. Is a horses skin tougher than a dog's?
You don't have to clip. They start shedding out and you simply help by using brushes and shedding blades to help pull out the loose hairs. The only reason I might clip a non-show horse would be because temps have soared and they are uncomfortable because they haven't lost enough hair.
And yes, you have to watch for hot blades. No better way to teach your horse to hate clipping then to burn them accidentally!

Ok, thank you. I hadn't planned on using clippers on her. But I do like the idea of having her use to them, for other reasons. I figured they would burn just like a dog would. Just when you hear the words "Horse Hide", that makes it sound like super tough leather. I don't want to do anything that would harm Halo. I would imagine, you would have to really switch out the blades a lot, for even a mini horse. Some dogs, I was switching out every 5 mins. due to their coat.

I believe it all depends on the thickness of the coat. I guess if you wanted to get her used to the clippers you could wait for her to shed out a bit and go from there
default_smile.png
Plus you could always not clip but turn them on near her to get her desensitized to the sound and the feel of them. Remember to always go slow with a horse as well, since you don't want to spook them and have a bigger mess on your hands. Just make sure you desensitize her to the noise first, not the vibration. That always worked with my big guys.

Latest posts

Back